Do you regret doing what you did in college? (1 Viewer)

zero_hero

I'm starting to think I've made some seriously wrong decisions and I'm nearly at the end of a two year masters. I'm thinking I should have choosen a completly different subject area...

Did anyone like what they did in college at the end of it or is this just being sick of it after too much of a subject? Fed up of studying anyways

I guess I won't know til I get out working. It's just kinda like I feel I'm going to biting my lip in a job I hate for years and that kind of defeats the object of going to college

half way through my degree i regretted starting it but went through with it anyway. now i'm very happy i did because i like what i do now as a result of it. you have many options when you finish.

it can be hard to maintain motivation/interest on a subject you study at masters/PhD level after about 2 years.

it's normal.

as a matter of interest, what discipline?

Yeah, it's pretty normal to hate your subject after a while. If it's any consolation you'll probably hate whatever job you go into too.

From time to time, I wish from I'd picked something more practical. I study Spanish an French. Probably shouldn't have picked two Romance languages. But then again there's always teaching to fall back on. And teaching rocks.

I think I regret not taking more time to make decisions than I did. I spent many years faffing about with a PhD in a university that was pretty much the opposite of the right place for me, which I should not have done, but which I only sometimes see as wasted time. I didn't finish and ended up leaving the career behind pretty much entirely, not entirely my own choice (never, ever, ever, ever complain about being treated badly unless you're willing to be kicked out of your own life).

But really, I don't regret what I *did*. I regret not taking more classes in History and English Lit and Sociology and Philosophy and Anthropology and Journalism and basically this huge long list that no human could ever complete.

I also regret spending several years believing that I was useless and stupid, which it was -- believe it or not -- absolutely okay to say to PhD students faces. Even after I was told not to talk to anyone from the outside world because I'd only ask stupid questions that would embarrass everyone, I still bought it for a little while.

Come to think of it, I regret every fucking second I spent on that bullshit PhD.

In happier news, my research was 'borrowed' from me, and my photographs are about to come out in a book to illustrate someone else's chapter in it. (She didn't steal the actual work I did, just the topic I was working on, and I gave them the photographs because I was sort of backed into a corner where it was do that or tell the publisher -- who is wholly sound -- what had been happening). I've been invited to the launch of the book, but I'm really not sure I want to go. I feel like the trauma would all be reignited and I'd have to stand there and pretend like everything was cool and the stress of being treated like shit didn't ever land me in the hospital. Even thinking about it is sometimes difficult, and I still have nightmares about it. It wasn't so much the shitty treatment, it was people shitting in my mouth and calling it an ice cream sundae. I can deal with nuts and bullshit, as long as I'm not expected to pretend it's anything other than fucking ridiculous.

Ugh.

I take it all back. Leave academia. Leave it quickly, leave it before it damages you beyond repair.

I went to college twice

biggest waste of time ever

Stay out of school kids

learn a trade, marry early and have loads of children

I went to college twice

biggest waste of time ever

Stay out of school kids

learn a trade, marry early and have loads of children

I went twice too. First time was a waste but good fun. Second time was exactly what I wanted to do, no regrets.

Edit: Jane, hope you don't think I coined those tags.

yeah i totally regret doing an arts degree in english and history, such bullshit and terrible career choice, so i'm going back to college in October!at 29!fan-fucking-tastic.

i wouldn't have got my current job without my masters and my sort-of-PhD is part of my work.

I don't work in academia but there is a large amount of research.

did a degree in english and linguistics and a masters in english and if I was going to go back I'd definitely do it again, I loved it. even though it couldn't get me a job so I'm doing an MBS now, which is a pain in the hole sometimes but i definitely don't regret starting it.

i dont.....because at the age of 18, completely bewildered as to what I wanted to do with my life, I did a degree in Philosophy - and while many aspects of it were boring beyond belief, it was open-ended enough. i think i'd actually regret it more now had i gone into a more specific degree that chanelled me toward an occupation.

(i left my job of three years to now do a masters that is badly-run but with some enjoyable content. thank god it's only one year though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back