Do you regret doing what you did in college? (1 Viewer)

I don't know. I didn't enjoy my course at all - only realised when I did my masters how badly taught it had been, imagine doing a science course with NO introduction to the philsophy of science, and no coverage of any research that had been conducted since the 20s. But college itself - well, I met Mrs. egg_ and generally got my mind blown, so on balance it was possibly a force for good

Wow, the tags on this thread make me feel really sad.

I regret wasting so much time on Thumped when it's clear that people dislike me so intensely that they don't even have the respect to say it to me in any way except anonymously.

So I regret going to UCD because I had a terrible experience and was treated really horribly. How is that a persecution complex?

Slagging is one thing, but that's just nasty shit and if it weren't meant to upset me, it would have been said publicly.

There you go, it worked. Happy now?

I regret nothing yet. YET. I'm on a 4yr couse and from last month to Jan 2009 I pretty much get to sleep my way through the year and get to spend 6 months in Poland. Pretty damn good. I already have 3 next steps made out 1) secondary teaching (history, IT, english), 2) post-grad etc or 3) starting from the start.

my head is way too fucked to concentrate in college. i failed 3 out of 6 half terms. i better not make any plans for the month of august. i have, however, developed a knack in life of just scraping through everything with 40%. just as a matter of interest does anyone remember any of the shit they were taught in college now that they have passed through the system and are in full-time employment?

I dont remember anything from my undergrad. I get flashes back when I'm in a lecture on something similar. It's just the ability to learn at a faster level that appears to me to be the major thing you need to take from college. Everything is transcient or else or brains wouldnt cope!!!

I am today just thinking fuck it survive the next few months, get a job and decide what I want to do with some money behind me. I may find that travelling it was I want out of life. It certainly appeals to me right now.

With regard to Jane, thank you for your reply it was really helpful!!!

I did my degree in film and broadcasting because I hadn't a clue what to do and it seemed suitably general in content. A bit too general as it turned out because it didn't really train you for anything. Although I detested it for at least two of the four years I don't really regret it cos a) I doubt I would have passed anything else at the time and b) I made some amazing friends. I went back to college aged 28 to do a conversion course in psychology and I like it way more. I also work far harder than I did the first time round. In general I think it's probably best not to go straight into college after school unless you've a very good idea what you want to do. However at the same time it'd be a shame to miss those years of dossing around where you learn valuable life skills such as how to do a lot of work very quickly so you've more time for drinking and going to dodgy clubs.

my head is way too fucked to concentrate in college. i failed 3 out of 6 half terms. i better not make any plans for the month of august. i have, however, developed a knack in life of just scraping through everything with 40%. just as a matter of interest does anyone remember any of the shit they were taught in college now that they have passed through the system and are in full-time employment?

Well, you're learning how to get by even when you're not all that interested, and even when your concentration is fucked. And you're learning to accept that you're probably going to have to re-do shit sometimes. That's not nothin'. I'm not taking the piss, either.

I'd drop in that whole thing about 'if at first you don't succeed, fail better' but I know I just totally mangled it.

I remember some concrete shit from college, but any good course uses material to help you learn how to think critically and solve problems. Unfortunately, that requires a spirit of mentorship that is more work than a lot of teaching staff want to give, or are able to give (because some of them try really hard to provide that). Sadly, in my experience of the Irish university system, there's a confusion between condescending control freakery and mentoring. They seem to confuse the former for the latter.

I miss my undergrad. I loved it so much, and then when I got here, I let my spirit get crushed big-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back