DIY Guitar Messing About (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 2K
  • Views 55K
  • Watchers 4
No, I tried the trick of two panel pins through the first and last fret slots, to be removed this morning.
not too bad - the centre lines move by probably between 1 and 2mm at the headstock end, i suspect i was too gentle with the panel pins.
there's now a probable 1mm convex bow in the fretboard, i think that was partly due to it being hard to hand plane a piece of wood that thin that accurately. will be much easier to plane that out now it's part of a piece of wood over an inch thick. also, it has to be borne in mind that it's just been released from tight clamps and has all that water based glue in it, so may take several days to settle again.
i absently mindedly reached for an allen key to fiddle with the truss rod and see if i could take the bow out before thinking 'uh, maybe best to let the glue completely dry first'.

not too bad - the centre lines move by probably between 1 and 2mm at the headstock end, i suspect i was too gentle with the panel pins.
there's now a probable 1mm convex bow in the fretboard, i think that was partly due to it being hard to hand plane a piece of wood that thin that accurately. will be much easier to plane that out now it's part of a piece of wood over an inch thick. also, it has to be borne in mind that it's just been released from tight clamps and has all that water based glue in it, so may take several days to settle again.
i absently mindedly reached for an allen key to fiddle with the truss rod and see if i could take the bow out before thinking 'uh, maybe best to let the glue completely dry first'.

Good stuff.
I’ve just found I can’t get some of my sheet materials from Uk. May have to re think my next build..

what sort of materials are you looking for?

This would be the 1.5mm mahogany etc.. only places that seems sell it are in Uk, apart from a place in France where I could buy it in bulk..

I need >700mm lengths, which Royal Mail won’t ship because of length, and dhl keep returning to sender with customs issues

First world problems…

there's a lad up north who does supplies for woodturning, it's possible he could get it. but if he gets it as a custom order, i suspect you're looking at €€€€. or ££££ in his case.

how did you radius the fretboards on your builds? or did you? thomann don't sell radius sanding blocks so i couldn't include one in my order, and they're quite a faff to make. i suspect i'll struggle to buy one in ireland and never like paying more for delivery than i would for the item itself, which is what i suspect would happen.
or else i just need to befriend someone with a fancy CNC router.

how did you radius the fretboards on your builds? or did you? thomann don't sell radius sanding blocks so i couldn't include one in my order, and they're quite a faff to make. i suspect i'll struggle to buy one in ireland and never like paying more for delivery than i would for the item itself, which is what i suspect would happen.

Not in ireland but saw this a while back

I bought slotted/radiused boards, and the board on the mandola is flat(lots of mandolin/bouzouki/etc. boards are flat)

Check these guys out - I get some of my wooden stuff from them - their stuff is fairly reasonable

i had been half thinking it'd be easier for me to make a convex radius block, and use that as a sanding block to make a convex one of the same radius. but that sounds like too much work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back