DIY Guitar Messing About (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 52K
  • Watchers 4
stupid question - what do you call these doohickeys? for when ordering online.

View attachment 17372

i'm starting to price up my options for my tele build. running at a shade over €200 on thomann, were i to go for that option.

note, this doesn't include a nut or scratchplate.

View attachment 17373

I can give you a (bone) nut.. also a string tree(I think)

If you’re willing to spend region of 100€ on pickups I’d recommend hitting this guy up for his hot Alnico 3 set

I was watching this the other night because thats more or less how i fall asleep these days and the scarf joints reminded me of your projects

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

in my haste, i bought medium fret wire - the one below, and it looks visibly narrower than the frets on the squier i'm using as a template, and on my wife's les paul. should i hold out for something bigger?
they only listed narrow and medium on the thomann site in HB parts.

in my haste, i bought medium fret wire - the one below, and it looks visibly narrower than the frets on the squier i'm using as a template, and on my wife's les paul. should i hold out for something bigger?
they only listed narrow and medium on the thomann site in HB parts.

Wouldn’t fret about it.
Probably medium jumbo on the squier

was out in the shed, trying to figure out how to mark the cuts for the fret slots and doing a dry run. i'd eyeballed them off the original fretboard onto the strip of oak on the right, and then onto the scrap piece you can see here. but i was thinking - probably much easier to just print it out onto paper and spray adhesive/double sided tape it onto the fretboard sothere are fewer steps which can introduce inaccuracy.

PXL_20230811_211549481.jpg

to be fair, eyeballing it onto that oak was reasonably accurate.

was out in the shed, trying to figure out how to mark the cuts for the fret slots and doing a dry run. i'd eyeballed them off the original fretboard onto the strip of oak on the right, and then onto the scrap piece you can see here. but i was thinking - probably much easier to just print it out onto paper and spray adhesive/double sided tape it onto the fretboard sothere are fewer steps which can introduce inaccuracy.

View attachment 17454

to be fair, eyeballing it onto that oak was reasonably accurate.

Round up to the nearest 1/4- 1/2mm and measure distance from the nut. That’s what I did for the mandola

Or register directly from the existing neck onto the mahogany - less intermediaries, less sources of error,

Will the fret wire fit the grooves from the Japanese saw ok?

not when the japanese saw blade proves a little too flexible! not sure how visible this is here, but the two slots i've cut near middle of photo are curved. the ones on the left are just scored with a stanley knife.

PXL_20230812_142427142.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back