DIY Guitar Messing About (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 51K
  • Watchers 4
am wondering again about possibly staining. it's lovely wood, but i'm not sure if it pops well enough. this is it at the moment; the body shape is mainly finished; i've left it very generous around the neck pocket till i get that routed probably.

PXL_20230625_153215229.jpg

i only just noticed after posting that pic - it had been sitting on the kitchen table (which doesn't really get direct sunlight) for a few days, with the pickguard sitting on top of it; and you can clearly see the outline of the pickguard; the wood has darkened where the pickguard wasn't covering it.

yep, it's done.
@JohnnyRaz - do you have many stains? as you suggested, i'll try staining some offcuts but have no stain to test with, just need a squick swab so not worth buying a load of stain for that...

yep, it's done.
@JohnnyRaz - do you have many stains? as you suggested, i'll try staining some offcuts but have no stain to test with, just need a squick swab so not worth buying a load of stain for that...
yeah - sure.

I have blue, green, red and black spirit stain (black would defeat your purposes as it would be pretty much opaque)

also have yellow, blue and gold metallic mixol (pure pigment) which I've used to tint shellac

more than welcome to take a sample - should be working from home friday

i've seen a video where someone used a black stain, then sanded it back and applied a colour on top, which deepens the the effect of the colour - though thinking about it, that was done on flamed maple which might suit that treatment.

i've seen a video where someone used a black stain, then sanded it back and applied a colour on top, which deepens the the effect of the colour - though thinking about it, that was done on flamed maple which might suit that treatment.

you could do it, you might want to use a different type of stain than the spirit stain for the black coat.

I have the tail end of a rustin's dark oak you could try I think.. its practically black after a few coats

cheers - i might pop down with some offcuts on friday? you have more experience than i do in case there's some weird gotcha when applying them.

you could do it, you might want to use a different type of stain than the spirit stain for the black coat.

I have the tail end of a rustin's dark oak you could try I think.. its practically black after a few coats
actually I remember I tried this out..

the far left is variations on black rustins wood dye + green spirit stain (+/-shellac), so it will work with out the two dyes mixing

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpg
    IMG_3175.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 0
stupid question - what do you call these doohickeys? for when ordering online.

gettyimages-1243275105-612x612.jpg

i'm starting to price up my options for my tele build. running at a shade over €200 on thomann, were i to go for that option.

note, this doesn't include a nut or scratchplate.

thomann.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back