Design Crit thread : All welcome (3 Viewers)

Just an odd doodle i am going to use as a back cover...

image_3680.jpg

c0De_n1NjA said:
man, i'm on IE 5.5 and its rendering all over the gaff. the style sheets dont work at all.

i'm on e and me brain is all over the gaff

thanks peeps... i should say that the original design was done by my erstwhile colleague m, before she went off to have a baby... then i did the redesign/template/accessibility/coding/content-filling-in/putting-live...

Hi Mugagag,
IMHO you need to decide whether you want to push your work in the direction of stylised symbols (like in comic book iconography) or more in the direction of some kind of more extreme photo-realistic rendering. At the moment you're falling between the two posts and the work comes off a bit teen-aged looking as a result. Choose your discipline and run with it - get out of the noodle-zone.
Good luck!

broken arm said:
css gives me wood
What do people use to make websites these days?, seriously like. All i know is dreamweaver and i'm afraid the pack has left me behind while i was in the cave, no that i care, it's just i hate making sites for people when only i can edit them!
Whats all this fancy new stuff, asp etc...?

chickenham said:
Hi Mugagag,
IMHO you need to decide whether you want to push your work in the direction of stylised symbols (like in comic book iconography) or more in the direction of some kind of more extreme photo-realistic rendering. At the moment you're falling between the two posts and the work comes off a bit teen-aged looking as a result. Choose your discipline and run with it - get out of the noodle-zone.
Good luck!

Nah I draw because I enjoy it, and it's something I dont have to think about. When all comes to all it's just lines put together. Don't want to draw in any specific style to make it unique or anything. I like the way I draw, and it'll change in any random direction later, maybe.

Bag'o'cans said:
What do people use to make websites these days?,
i use valid xhtml, styled with css. i like to think it's becoming the norm; it certainly makes a hell of a lot more sense than anything else, and more and more people are starting to use it. if you're curious, you could start by going to this website or buying this book.

Bag'o'cans said:
seriously like. All i know is dreamweaver and i'm afraid the pack has left me behind while i was in the cave, no that i care, it's just i hate making sites for people when only i can edit them!
Whats all this fancy new stuff, asp etc...?
you don't need to use anything special. just be willing to learn and use good basic design practices. there's no mystery, just hard work.

asp is microsoft's language for making databases. i don't know anything about it, but i've heard it's kind of crummy.

oh, don't let people mystify this stuff for you, either. all professions are conspiracies against the laity and all that.

xhtml: extensible hypertext markup language. it's just html with a couple of things added on. it's what you use to put the stuff in the page. like html, it's a doddle to learn the basics - you can do it in an afternoon.

css: cascading stylesheets, or 'styles' - it's what you use to arrange the page layout and make the page look pretty after you've put the stuff in.

the best web design tool in existence is a piece of paper and a pencil.

having said that, though, if you're not a good designer, you're not a good designer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back