Derren Brown to predict the lotto (3 Viewers)

hmm, seems like a simple camera trick, the camera is wobbling all over the gaff, why? this looks like possisbly the stupidest trick yet, worse than the horse one.
explain to us how he did it so froog
i reckon the numbers on the rack are actually made of intelligent microorganisms trained to form themselves into the numbers announced on the bbc

i reckon the numbers on the rack are actually made of intelligent microorganisms trained to form themselves into the numbers announced on the bbc

not sure yet, but would you not agree that revealing the numbers just before they were announced would have been more impressive and not completely shit?

Freeze half the screen, set up the rack to reflect the winning numbers unfreeze the screen during the final shake of the camera and Derren walks over to the rack and reveals the numbers.

Pretty shitty trick if that is how he did it :confused:

horse-tricks.jpg
?

The System

The System, a Channel 4 special in which Brown shared his "100 per cent guaranteed" method for winning on the horses, was first shown on 1 February 2008.[11]
The show was based around the idea that a system could be developed to predict the outcome of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_racing"]horse races[/ame] with total accuracy. Cameras followed an ordinary member of the public, Khadisha, as Brown anonymously sent her correct predictions of five races in a row, before encouraging her to place as much money as she could on the sixth race.
To demonstrate the system to the viewer, Brown tossed a coin showing ten heads in a row to prove it was not impossible, just highly improbable.
After Brown had placed a bet of £4,000 of Khadisha's money on a horse in the final race, he explained that The System did not really exist. He had started by contacting 7,776 people and split them into six groups, giving each group a different horse. As each race had taken place 5⁄6 of the people had lost and were dropped from the system. Far from Brown knowing which horse would win, he had a different person backing each horse in each race, and it was simple logic that meant that one individual, who happened to be Khadisha, won five times in a row. This was similar to the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_flipping"]coin flipping[/ame] earlier: rather than having a predictive technique, Brown had simply tossed a coin repeatedly until ten heads had come up in a row, taking over nine hours to produce the required film. Brown expressed the opinion that the principle behind The System (essentially [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias"]confirmation bias[/ame]) is what is behind belief in [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritualism"]spiritualism[/ame] or [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy"]homeopathic[/ame] and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_medicine"]alternative medicine[/ame].
After the selected horse in the final race lost, and Khadisha was convinced that she had lost all her borrowed money, Brown told Khadisha to look again at the betting slip in her hand. The ticket showed the winning horse's name, meaning Khadisha kept her stake and received winnings of £13,000. Brown claimed that he had decided to bet for a different horse when he got to the booth.

and here's how its done folks:

He walks in with a cameraman hand holding camera,
cut to second camera,
then cut back to camera on a tripod (this is the first real live footage)
artificial camera movement is added to give illusion of hand held,
the screen is then split in two, left hand side being pre-recorded with balls visible and un-touched,
actually a person walks in and changes the balls, unseen behind split screen,
the split screen is turned off and camera zooms in and the balls are correct,
because they've just been changed.

- from some website

Nicely done. The little touching of the balls as a convincer at the end was great. His acting nervous was a bit lame though.

I suspect the screen is split in half vertically, the writing on the card is just to give him time and keep him on the right hand side of the screen while the balls are put in place, the screen in then un-split when he goes back over to the prepared rack.

in fact, you'll notice how the "wobbling" camera suddenly stops wobbling just at the point he needs to switch back the left side to live footage, then starts wobbling again.

I hate when people say how things like this are shit then spent hours trying to see how he did it. It's a trick for fuck sake, enjoy being tricked. Don't just be a prick and say 'this is shit, he clearly got seventeen cameras and cut and paste shots then wiggled the cameras then got bla bla bla....'. It's a trick and a good talent to be able to trick people. He's a really good illusionist/magician. Sorry for the rant.

il⋅lu⋅sion⋅ist
–noun
a conjurer or magician who creates illusions, as by sleight of hand.

ma⋅gi⋅cian
–noun
an entertainer who is skilled in producing illusion by sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; conjurer.

il⋅lu⋅sion⋅ist
–noun
1. a conjurer or magician who creates illusions, as by sleight of hand.

ma⋅gi⋅cian
–noun
1. an entertainer who is skilled in producing illusion by sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; conjurer.

Noted

hmm, seems like a simple camera trick, the camera is wobbling all over the gaff, why? this looks like possisbly the stupidest trick yet, worse than the horse one.

Presumably the pre-recorded show on Friday (that explains how he did it) will show the numbers, and how they were already picked before this live yolk was broadcast last night, with some sort of proof of date (whatever the equivalent of a hostage holding up a newspaper is for proving something happened before, rather than after, a particular date).

I'm not saying it's not a "trick" - of course it is - just that it's not just a dumb camera trick.

Did you see the horse one all the way through? As a method of explaining the odds of him guessing all the results correctly race after race, he successfully did another trick with a group of people that had exactly the same odds on paper as guessing all the winning horses.

In short:
LEAVE DERREN ALONE!
leave-britney-alone-guy.jpg

edit: I'm with you Morg, his stuff entertains the shit out of me.

I hate when people say how things like this are shit then spent hours trying to see how he did it. It's a trick for fuck sake, enjoy being tricked. Don't just be a prick and say 'this is shit, he clearly got seventeen cameras and cut and paste shots then wiggled the cameras then got bla bla bla....'. It's a trick and a good talent to be able to trick people. He's a really good illusionist/magician. Sorry for the rant.

except all his tricks recently are rehashed versions of old shit, this is simply a version of the disappearing eiffel tower/empire state building trick years ago. i used to like derren brown a lot when he did lots of cool suggestive thought control stuff, but he seems to have run out of ideas and started doing what i think are lame tricks. maybe thats just me tho.

whatever the equivalent of a hostage holding up a newspaper is for proving something happened before, rather than after, a particular date

i bet he logs into thumped on tuesday last and starts this thread, and then shows us that he's had froog tied up in his flat all week.

no, he's not a magician because he reveals his tricks, he's not allowed in the magicians alliance

gob.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back