Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (8 Viewers)

We need @thairock to let us know what it's like behind Jacinda's Iron Curtain, if they still have the internet there that is.
We still have the internet!
Look, life here seems pretty normal on the whole right now.
I’m sure we will have more community cases of covid show up in the future but having had that first lockdown in March, which, although people grumbled , was pretty well adhered to by the vast majority of the population, we seemed well positioned to tackle the Auckland community cluster with precision.
Far easier to put out spot fires when the forest fire has had a shit tonne of water doused on it at the beginning.
Will the economy survive? I’m sure it will wobble, however, the government wage subsidy got spending money in people’s pockets and that cash had been flowing around. The tourism industry is hugely important to NZ and there’s talk of the borders being “closed” until perhaps 2022.
The interesting thing is that because NZ’rs generally can’t travel overseas either, they just switched to being tourists in their own country.
I live and work in a big tourist area with both winter and summer attractions and all the businesses that relied on tourism were terrified at the prospect of the death of the industry but here’s the thing, the town has been busier since lockdown ended then at same time of year pre-covid .
The managed isolation of incoming people ( returning kiwis etc. and people deemed important for the economy- like international film production crews etc ) seems to work ( on the whole).
NZ has the locations and facilities that lend well to Hollywood and local productions on its side as always, but with added bonus of now being Covid free in the community, it’s all ticking along very well.
I’m sure there are lots of parts of the country and industries that are or will suffer badly but how much worse if we had rampant Covid cases and constant yo-yo-ing back and forth with restrictions.
I know NZ isn’t really comparable to Ireland in a lot of ways and so it’s hard to say that Ireland should have done what NZ has done, but just reading the Level 3 restrictions for Ireland I was amazed by how half hearted they are and can’t see how they can work to eradicate infections.
It seems evident to me from my perspective here, that Ireland needs to be in level 5 if there’s any hope of a return to a close to normal life for people living there.

Life here for me and my family feels back to normal. That is amazing to me!
Now, on the other topic of NZ and racism ...and I speak from the point of view of an privileged white male resident here, yes there is casual and in some cases systemic racism aimed at “Asians”, ( I dislike how this term is used here in NZ)
Maori and other ethnic minorities. Obviously there was the anti Muslim terrorist massacre in Chch too.
So yes, NZ has a racism problem.
It’s not paradise.
I can say though, for me, it’s a damn good country to live in.
I’ve lived almost half my life here and half in Ireland. I have no plans to change where I live.
I do wish my family in Ireland could have the same Covid-free relaxed lifestyle that we have here though.
I include thumpers in that family too.
Xx

Here's a half baked theory - instead of this bumbling along, not knowing where or when restrictions will be announced, constantly firefighting - why not go full bore lockdown one week out of every four? Break the chain of transmission to a large extent in that week, which should keep the numbers in check, and provide some certainty to business about planning.
People will get the the guns out.

I say this as a lefty liberal in a big city far away, too much of a pussy to be a real farmer type, but that'll end up with people getting shot. Even if I decamped to the homestead (homestead, brings value home), even I would shoot you before that'd be allowed. Shur there's too much to be doing.....

Here's a half baked theory - instead of this bumbling along, not knowing where or when restrictions will be announced, constantly firefighting - why not go full bore lockdown one week out of every four? Break the chain of transmission to a large extent in that week, which should keep the numbers in check, and provide some certainty to business about planning.
Genie's out of the bottle at this point, Daily Mail UK are running front page articles calling for everything to be reopened, everyone doubts everything everyone else says, leadership are split between, what, an unpopular authoritarian (Micheál Martin), a man who would rather everyone in Ireland died before he can be accused of being a lefty (Leo Varadkar), and Eamon Ryan, who will do as he is told.

Honestly, I think just introduce level 5 for 6 weeks, accept that there's gonna be 10 thousand QAnon Gemmtrail lads protesting up and down the country every single day, and counter that be actually taking care of people who need help. But that would involve, what, decoupling Ireland from a system of financialized living where GDP can do swimmingly when half the country is out of work? Leo wouldn't like that.

This is the end
this is the end.

Fell down a short Computingforever Irish conspirafascist rabbit hole.

Great first comment on his latest video:

Sigmund Freud has convinced the Western Civilization of its neurotic nature on a 90% Jewish casuistic. Today, the China Flu propaganda has turned everybody into a germophobe like Howard Stern and Andrew Dice Clay. The Great Reset is based on the MASS DEPOPULATION PROGRAM which was always in the mind of the rabbis which wrote it down in THE LAW : "IT IS FORBIDDEN TO MULTIPLY THE SEED OF THE AMALEK"

Tell me why i'm wrong challenge.

You're not wrong. We clearly need to go to Level 5 for a period. It's not a question of "if" ... it's a question of "when". The sooner we do it, the less people will die. The overall economy has not collapsed (even though some sectors have been decimated) so we can borrow the money to support those who will be put out of work (again).

I'm left thinking the same thing.
and if we had level 5 for the next 3 weeks it would hopefully save Christmas and the run up to Xmas.
but if this keeps getting worse for the next few weeks then we won't have that option

Fell down a short Computingforever Irish conspirafascist rabbit hole.

Great first comment on his latest video:

Sigmund Freud has convinced the Western Civilization of its neurotic nature on a 90% Jewish casuistic. Today, the China Flu propaganda has turned everybody into a germophobe like Howard Stern and Andrew Dice Clay. The Great Reset is based on the MASS DEPOPULATION PROGRAM which was always in the mind of the rabbis which wrote it down in THE LAW : "IT IS FORBIDDEN TO MULTIPLY THE SEED OF THE AMALEK"

wow - thats a conspiracy top trump!
they left out the masons.

You're not wrong. We clearly need to go to Level 5 for a period. It's not a question of "if" ... it's a question of "when". The sooner we do it, the less people will die. The overall economy has not collapsed (even though some sectors have been decimated) so we can borrow the money to support those who will be put out of work (again).

well there's also the question of 'what happens after'?

Unless the reasons for the flare-up after we did so well up to the summer, are addressed, we either need to go to level 5 indefinitely, or not bother. Level 5 for 3 weeks solves nothing.

well there's also the question of 'what happens after'?

Unless the reasons for the flare-up after we did so well up to the summer, are addressed, we either need to go to level 5 indefinitely, or not bother. Level 5 for 3 weeks solves nothing.
Well, that depends. It'll slow the spread of it, perhaps long enough to get the Trump cure to enough of the country.

Until we work out the border and quarantine enforcement though, yeah, we'll never reach NZ.

Well, that depends. It'll slow the spread of it, perhaps long enough to get the Trump cure to enough of the country.

Until we work out the border and quarantine enforcement though, yeah, we'll never reach NZ.
that's what we thought first time around.

I'm happy to go along with whatever. I'm a hermit anyway, so level 5 is almost no change to my life (apart from the gym). And I'll probably leave the country again in the next month to go sit in quarantine in Eastern Europe so yeah, bring it on.

that's what we thought first time around.

I'm happy to go along with whatever. I'm a hermit anyway, so level 5 is almost no change to my life (apart from the gym). And I'll probably leave the country again in the next month to go sit in quarantine in Eastern Europe so yeah, bring it on.
We weren't wrong the first time round.

But yeah, are they just going to stumble on for months and months and years and never mention the big issues like the UK border and hope a cure turns up? Keep us occupied with yo-yo covid cases.

RE: Being sick of this shit. 100% natural reaction, no discredit to that, everyone has to feel that at some point.

RE: The coming months/years. If the ideal cure was invented right now, and the world was crop dusted tonight with it so that in the morning the virus was gone completely, the world has still changed significantly and will not return to it's former self ever. You have to mourn the old world, take the good out of what you liked about it and start into the new world, which is comparitively a bit shit because we dont know how to operate it yet, but is also the one we have now. I liken the current period to the early part in the movie where someone is having a meltdown at the gravity of events and either has to be bundled off crying or shot, i see people having the 'I can't wait for this to be over' chat on twitter every day.
It is not going to be over, the thing you miss, unfortunatley is probably over
- What speed people move through those emotions is entirely up to them really. That's no-craic ann posts hot take. I may have typed some of this before, I cant remember because i was drinking all weekend.

RE: Christmas. CALLED IT DAYS AGO and only now are the experts coming out saying the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back