Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (4 Viewers)

so what you are saying is THEY STARTED IT?
Not sure if I agree with this but:

White people have been giving everyone else shit for the colour of their skin for as long as they've encountered non-white people.

Even if Gammon was only a skin thing, and it partly derives from skin colour (I'd say it also derives from a general piggy look), but even if it was only a skin colour thing, I'd probably be OK with white people knowing what it feels like to be marked as an undesirable outsider as a result of the colour of their skin.

Lots of white people claim to not be racist, but I reckon getting put into the scenario from the other side of things might not do them any harm.

But yeah, this sort of sentiment might stem from the fact that I feel that white people can pretty much fuck off in pretty much every regard in pretty much every scenario. As a group I have about as much sympathy for white people whining about skin colour as I have for the fat kid throwing a tantrum because he got the rainbow sprinkles on his ice cream, and not the chocolate ones that he told his Mummy he prefers.

What??? When I lived in England I could spot a Paddy a mile off.
ahaha, ah I know, "Big Irish head on him," we all say it. I think there's a fair bit of, what do you call it, that bias where you decide that all your preconceived notions are correct because you were right a few times.

Lots of white people claim to not be racist, but I reckon getting put into the scenario from the other side of things might not do them any harm.

But yeah, this sort of sentiment might stem from the fact that I feel that white people can pretty much fuck off in pretty much every regard in pretty much every scenario
Whoa dude, steady on there. "It's ok to be racist against people who deserve it" probably isn't an argument you really want to be making

Last week I was in a supermarket for the first time without a mask for a year or so. Felt very odd. I had an urge to just put the mask on, but no one else was wearing one, including staff, so didn't.

That was in Estonia. I was there from sunday to saturday. On thursday they started checking the covidpass for museums/restaurants, etc. I started to see more and more people wearing masks, but I'm not sure if thats cos I was in a different part of the country (closer to Russia), or if the rules changed.

Cases are, predictably, starting to rise very quickly in all the Baltic states. The low vax rate means they're looking at new restrictions being imposed in september. They haven't said what those restrictions will be, but they have started the kite-flying, and are suggesting they'll hit non-vaccinated people worse than the vaccinated.

I'm back in Latvia until wednesday. The restaurants and cafes here were resisting the covidpass requirement by only allowing outdoor dining. But since the weather went shite they've had little choice but to open up indoor dining, and are now checking the covid passports.

There were no covid checks between borders. We were stopped heading into Estonia, but were only asked to show our passports. Nothing was said about covid. There were no checks either way on the Latvia-Lithuania border, and no checks heading back into Latvia from Estonia (it'd be hard to set up a checkpoint in the town we crossed the border in, as its a big town that straddles both countries, and there isn't a single road through it).

Its mad hearing them talking about new restrictions here with cases relatively low, while back in Ireland everything is reopening, despite the numbers being high. Just goes to show case numbers aren't an indicator of much anymore.

I've noticed that places that do check the passport are mostly just looking at the QR code thing and not checking that it belongs to the person presenting it. You could show them anyone's passport. One place I went to was scanning them for people sitting inside and being fairly diligent about it but I'm not sure how much better that is

Whoa dude, steady on there. "It's ok to be racist against people who deserve it" probably isn't an argument you really want to be making

Yeah. Like I said, I guess I feel that if you can actually feel it, if white people can feel the realness of being in an environment where prickling suspicion and unease that their skin colour alone creates, and be able to do almost nothing about this, it's a good lesson.

Clearly the US is more harsh than Ireland, for whatever reason, but usually whites are the in group, and usually POC are not. It's good to feel what it's like to not be the in-group is what I'm trying to say.

This last week or so I've been to the pub (no checks of any kind), a few visits to a hotel cafe (guy on the door peers at the barcode and says that's grand) and a restaurant (passport scanned inside but no ID checks)

I thought the whole idea of “gammon” was that it was in reference to becoming red-faced through paroxysms of rage — is that not true? have I been misunderstanding this all along?

I thought gammon had nothing to do with appearance and was an insult like the French saying “Rosbeef” about English people - the kind of thing a UKIP supporter on holiday would try to order in a sushi restaurant or something.

“They’ve not got gammon and chips, Vera, let’s go find an English pub!”

I thought the whole idea of “gammon” was that it was in reference to becoming red-faced through paroxysms of rage — is that not true? have I been misunderstanding this all along?

It was, it has become more of a catch all 'white lad i don't like' term since. It's sorta at the 'swear word introduced into schoolyard' stage. Even when it just was a rage based thing, is it all that removed from when people used to dismiss things women would say as being 'shrill' or whatever?

TLDR it's the age old play the ball, not the man trope.

I thought gammon had nothing to do with appearance and was an insult like the French saying “Rosbeef” about English people - the kind of thing a UKIP supporter on holiday would try to order in a sushi restaurant or something.

“They’ve not got gammon and chips, Vera, let’s go find an English pub!”
Yeah, I took it as a swipe against conservative English people and their blinkered viewpoint and limited diet rather than their skin colour

people don’t say shrill anymore. They say Karen instead.
What's interesting about Karen is it can now apply to men. I've seen some attempt to introduce a male counterpart, Kyle or something, but the tide's sort of swung around to Karen becoming genderless.

If I was overly sensitive about anything it would be about the implicit misogyny of Karen, but even that seems to be getting diluted.

Any implicit dislike of white people that might be conveyed by the use of Gammon on the other hand is fair enough, seeing as statistically speaking we're likely to be raging cunts.

The gammon thing is to do with white people enraged by stuff. It's also to do with a specific type of drunken gout ridden white person who feels immigrants or whatever are wrecking their lives. When really their lives allow them to get on TV and complain and then spend loads of money in the pub or on copious amounts of fine wine.

It's about white middle-aged, middle class male privilege. Over here, a lot of these gammons don't feel middle class, because "I've worked hard all my life". But they are, they own a home in London, so technically they're in the top 10% of net worth people in the world. And they still complain. The rest of us rent paying younger schlubs are looking at them going "What the fuck are you complaining about? All this is your fault."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back