Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (4 Viewers)

Do you think it was bad?

They probably should have developed their own vaccine since they're a rich country at the end of the vaccine queue and every method is eventually herd immunity but otherwise, yes?
if we measure success solely in numbers of deaths (and there's a strong justification for doing so), then it was, yes, but I'd rather be where we are now than to be where they are. Them and Australia both. I just wonder what other, untold, harm their approach as done to people there.

as a matter of interest, do people still think New Zealand's approach to handling covid was good?
New Zealand have had a grand total of 26 deaths from Covid, along with long, long periods of life as normal.

Even if the model goes pear shaped now in the face of Delta and is no longer sustainable, they got to enjoy life for the last 18 months, seems to have been worth it.

New Zealand have had a grand total of 26 deaths from Covid, along with long, long periods of life as normal.

Even if the model goes pear shaped now in the face of Delta and is no longer sustainable, they got to enjoy life for the last 18 months, seems to have been worth it.
I follow about 2 new zealand youtubes, watched with great envy this year

"We want people to behave like we do" is a pretty vague thing egg and it can be taken a lot of different ways. It's certainly not what I said.
I know it's not what you said, and I have a fair idea what your political goals are but ... isn't that really what we want? We're good people, we try and behave in a way that is kind and fair and empathetic and considerate of our fellow humans (and even animals). We would like if everyone else would do that too. Is that not true? Wouldn't the world be a better place if they did?

I know it's not what you said, and I have a fair idea what your political goals are but ... isn't that really what we want? We're good people, we try and behave in a way that is kind and fair and empathetic and considerate of our fellow humans (and even animals). We would like if everyone else would do that too. Is that not true? Wouldn't the world be a better place if they did?
I think most people consider themselves good people who are fair and empathetic and considerate of fellow human. There's very few (they do exist I know) who would state they want or are any different. And i'd say they're, to a large degree, correct about themselves.

Elon Musk wants to build a more fair and considerate world, Bill Gates wants to build a more fair and considerate word, but I do not agree with their methods. I want to talk about their methods, not about what's in their heart.

if we measure success solely in numbers of deaths (and there's a strong justification for doing so), then it was, yes, but I'd rather be where we are now than to be where they are. Them and Australia both. I just wonder what other, untold, harm their approach as done to people there.
What untold harm do you think has been done? Just curious here because I do wonder sometimes what harm has been done to people here by our own approach. Particularly kids growing up with this

They've also had a decline in cases 2 days in a row now, so maybe their current lockdown will get there

What untold harm do you think has been done? Just curious here because I do wonder sometimes what harm has been done to people here by our own approach. Particularly kids growing up with this
I don't know. Probably mental health damage and the consequences of that. In the case of NZ and Oz, its only really hitting them now, while they see much of the rest of the world opening up. They're also locked into their countries until 2022, while they see Europe opening up.

I'm not sure we'll ever fully know the impact here or elsewhere, but I suspect suicide rates are through the roof. I'd guess there was a lot of peripheral damage done to people who were scared to get medical advice for non-covid related stuff.

Its gonna be impossible to quantify. New Zealand are undoubtedly the gold star in how they've handled things. But I think quantifying this thing will involve more than just counting the numbers of people who have been recorded as having died from covid (as part of each countrys' covid numbers)

I don't know. Probably mental health damage and the consequences of that. In the case of NZ and Oz, its only really hitting them now, while they see much of the rest of the world opening up. They're also locked into their countries until 2022, while they see Europe opening up.

I'm not sure we'll ever fully know the impact here or elsewhere, but I suspect suicide rates are through the roof. I'd guess there was a lot of peripheral damage done to people who were scared to get medical advice for non-covid related stuff.

Its gonna be impossible to quantify. New Zealand are undoubtedly the gold star in how they've handled things. But I think quantifying this thing will involve more than just counting the numbers of people who have been recorded as having died from covid (as part of each countrys' covid numbers)
Assuming changing anything whatsoever about our economic system (e.g. making our own vaccines, having a health service that isn't run at 95%+ capacity at all times, providing funding for mental health and community services), is completely out of the question because that would be just unrealistic, how could we have done better? and also how could New Zealand have done better? We live in this system, this is what we have, same for them.

i think they've only 26% of people vaccinated. so they can't come out of lockdown; whether or not the success of their lockdown made them complacent about vaccinations, i don't know, but they're well behind on that score.
wasn't it also partly that they weren't prioritised for receiving shipments of the vaccine because they were considered 'low-risk'? Victims of their own success, in a way.

What happened with NZ that their model is going tits up?
They had a 'green-zone' airline corridor open with Australia, their biggest commercial neighbour, and when Australia got hit with the delta variant and started locking down, New Zealand did some 'last flights out of Australia before the corridor closes' jobs, and the delta variant was carried by a passenger on one of those flights.

So in other words, they let people fly in from Australia without quarantine.

Assuming changing anything whatsoever about our economic system (e.g. making our own vaccines, having a health service that isn't run at 95%+ capacity at all times, providing funding for mental health and community services), is completely out of the question because that would be just unrealistic, how could we have done better? and also how could New Zealand have done better? We live in this system, this is what we have, same for them.
I don't disagree and I wouldn't take one side or the other. I just threw it out there. Plenty of people (right-minded ones) were calling for a zero-covid strategy here, regardless of how feasible it was.

We undoubtedly fucked up over christmas time. Other than that, I'm not sure what else we could criticise.

They had a 'green-zone' airline corridor open with Australia, their biggest commercial neighbour, and when Australia got hit with the delta variant and started locking down, New Zealand did some 'last flights out of Australia before the corridor closes' jobs, and the delta variant was carried by a passenger on one of those flights.

So in other words, they let people fly in from Australia without quarantine.
the person who brought in the virus was in mandatory quarantine, no? I thought the unknown was how it got out of there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back