Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (20 Viewers)

In my job I get to dismantle things with people occasionally but it is a controlled environment in which they have responsibilities and all I really have to do is ask them their source/proof/evidence for the claim, and would they stake their career on it, because that is what they are planning to do professionally. That could be completely useless information for you though.

I remember being a bit ranty about capitalism and the like when I was 17 and my parents saying to me something along the lines of "You can't do anything about this, all you're doing is getting us and yourself upset over something none of us can change."
god grant me the something something something.

christ, i haven't seen/heard that in years, the more solemn version of baz luhrmann's 'sunscreen', basically. the name will come to me in a second.

Hi @egg_ , in terms of what you're talking about. I think a lot of the time remaining calm is probably the best thing I've found. I've some experience of friends and family who've fallen down particular rabbit holes and the one thing I've found is that anger never works. It's always been older people for me. It hasn't happened with kids yet so I can't really advise from a parenting perspective.

I've found, in my experience, that a lot of the time the interest in these things is born out of feeling inferior and holding a contrarian viewpoint is something that allows them to feel smarter than the people they perceive, rightly or wrongly, to be looking down on them. One thing I've found is that arguing doesn't work because when you get angry with them or tell them what they're saying is idiotic, it just reinforces everything that they've been subconsciously thinking and just increases their anger and stubbornness.

Also, everytime I've tried arguing with a person who's gone down this road it never works because they've generally spent a lot of time going down this rabbit hole. Like Lili was saying, they'll have spent hours on youtube or wherever finding the most obscure argument that you'll have no rebuttal for, because it'll be something that you've never given any thought to. And by the time you've done research yourself to disprove what they've said, they'll have found the next obscure bullshit fact. Apparently, Ben Shapiro does this a lot. 1 example where I can think of this happening recently was a creationist guy I know proclaiming that evolution was clearly bullshit because no one's ever been able to explain how the eyeball evolved. I couldn't either because it's something that I'd literally never thought about, ever. I found out afterwards that there's been loads of research done on this. But the main thing for the creationist guy was that I'd lost that conversation and he'd won it.

Which brings on to my next point about contrarians, because of their insecurities they generally don't have normal conversations the way you and I would. There's often a deep seated need to win the conversation rather than to have a back and forth. Attempting to win the conversation yourself doesn't make you the better person in those situations.

I think the main take away here is don't fly off the handle when the people you love say dumb shit, which is particularly hard when it's your kids. Talk calmly, question what they've said calmly, listen with interest to what they're saying. Don't mock or ridicule what they say, or get angry with them for it. If they don't get the angry reaction or push back that they're expecting, you might find that after a while they lose interest. Also, if they're constantly looking to start an argument with someone who never bites, eventually they'll start to feel like an idiot. For me, that's the only thing that's really worked.

I realise that this was very long winded and probably not totally relevant but maybe there's something useful there.

See it's basically because lots of people just can't stop going to each other's fucking gaffs
I made this from the nphet residential visits chart to try and explain to my siblings why the south is in lockdown forever and I can't go see them because graphs aren't for everyone. Might tart it up better and start bitching about it on fb tomorrow.

Attachments

• visits graph.jpg
    visits graph.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 16
I made this from the nphet residential visits chart to try and explain to my siblings why the south is in lockdown forever and I can't go see them because graphs aren't for everyone. Might tart it up better and start bitching about it on fb tomorrow.
I find it almost impossible to believe the amount of mixing/visiting happening now is the same as Christmas week? Sure there are people who don't give a shite but that seems a stretch..

I find it almost impossible to believe the amount of mixing/visiting happening now is the same as Christmas week? Sure there are people who don't give a shite but that seems a stretch..

I mean, me too. I find it frustrating and dissapointing and a bit heartbreaking as I'd say pretty much anyone here does but that seems to be what the thing says. There are defo people on this forum who read these things better than me and I'd honestly love to be corrected if anyone has time to look at it - its from the feb 11th letter page 62/63 i think.

I mean, me too. I find it frustrating and dissapointing and a bit heartbreaking as I'd say pretty much anyone here does but that seems to be what the thing says. There are defo people on this forum who read these things better than me and I'd honestly love to be corrected if anyone has time to look at it - its from the feb 11th letter page 62/63 i think.

Actually, it looks like this indicates that people are spending more time at home, or at least that their movements are to and from their home, rather than visiting other homes. If the baseline is 0 from last Feb/March, then 'residential mobility' peaked last April, declined, and has risen again since Christmas.

Actually, it looks like this indicates that people are spending more time at home, or at least that their movements are to and from their home, rather than visiting other homes. If the baseline is 0 from last Feb/March, then 'residential mobility' peaked last April, declined, and has risen again since Christmas.

It's a Friday night, 11.30PM, sweet Jesus just open the pubs already

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back