Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (6 Viewers)

Can I catch COVID-19 from the feces of someone with the disease?
The risk of catching COVID-19 from the feces of an infected person appears to be low. While initial investigations suggest the virus may be present in feces in some cases, spread through this route is not a main feature of the outbreak. WHO is assessing ongoing research on the ways COVID-19 is spread and will continue to share new findings. Because this is a risk, however, it is another reason to clean hands regularly, after using the bathroom and before eating.

Asking the important questions

'funerals barred'?
that's a little difficult.

Its actually a pretty common thing in countries that have extreme cold during their winters. The ground is too hard to dig up, so they preserve the bodies, and bury them in the spring once the ground starts to soften. So a funeral might take place several months after a person has croaked.

I know it’s selfish but I’d be happy for that to happen, so I never have to work another funeral again.

_111205832_coronavirus_chart_10mar-nc-2.png

Assuming that these figures are accurate this would appear to be encouraging right? It took 3-4 weeks for exponential spread to halt. It'd be interesting to see what if any new drastic lockdown measures China might have taken on the week of Feb 10th.

Also potentially encouraging, if you mentally ring-fence that we're talking about 3,139 people having died from this in China, is that the death rate doesn't track the infection rate.

@Cornu Ammonis as our resident scientist, is the above an unreasonable thing to say based on an admittedly very cursory look at the numbers? Because I'm about to dive into the realm of speculation about death rates.

The thing about death rates though is that numbers can be massaged. For example I saw a thread on twitter earlier in the week/over the weekend by a German resident saying that it was insane that Germany had 1,000 cases but at that point no deaths (I think the first 2 people passed away on Monday) and it was suggested that authorities might not be recording deaths as from Coronavirus there, that is to say a person with an underlying condition who contracts it and then dies might be recorded as dying from the underlying long term issue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's just awfully heartbreaking, and my main fear for how I might be impacted by this. Try to look out for your folks people.

An Italian friend with a poorly parent there just told me that they are now giving preferential ICU spaces to the under 60's, which is logical I guess, but again highlights how brutally this may escalate here.

Is it correct to think that only this particular outbreak in Wuhan has peaked? If the thing is spreading around the world then it will be difficult to prevent it spreading back to an area and getting the people who escaped the previous peak. Your gonna drop your guard at some point

Well, not necessarily - I mean, if everyone in Wuhan who can be infected has been infected, then yeah, but if the lockdown successfully controlled the spread then as soon as it's lifted all it takes is for the infection to be re-introduced from somewhere else then off we go again

edit: actually I'm kinda just repeating what @hiadudiad? said above

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back