Converge in Dublin (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
xConorx said:
Also the same people that moan about Shelter being krishna listen to Bad Brains, who were openly homophobic.QUOTE]

For the record, it was only JR in the Bad Brains who was homophobic. He also happened to be schizophrenic.

Draw your own conclusions.

Corm said:
xConorx said:
Also the same people that moan about Shelter being krishna listen to Bad Brains, who were openly homophobic.QUOTE]

For the record, it was only JR in the Bad Brains who was homophobic. He also happened to be schizophrenic.

Draw your own conclusions.
The issue is that you will make excuses for bands that you like and talkj shit about bands whose music you don't like. If Shelter were openly homophobic (as JR was) nobody would accept it, schizophrenic or not. If Madball had written homophobic lyrics everyone would talk shit about them forever (like they don't already).

The fact is people are prepared to overlook aspects of bands that they might disagree with if they like the bands music but fucking slate a band and moan if they don't like the music.

Damien, the only difference I can see between Converge and The Apers is this:

Converge: you like their music.
The Apers: you don't like their music

Alsdo I don't see the difference between Converge "being a hardcore band that made it big" and the Apers "using the hc scene to make it big". Surely if Converge used to be a hc band and then they made it big they obviously used the hc scene to get as big as they are (good luck to them, they have bills to pay just like anyone else and I definitely don't begrudge them) so what is The difference between them and the Apers.

The Apers guarantee was roughly £150 in Belfast, they got £70 and were happy. Try giving Converge half of their guarantee, see how that goes down.

By the way, i don't like either band musically but I wish them the best and have no problem with them asking for guarantees, within reason of course. They probably have to quit jobs to go on tour, miss rent and of course they just need to get by and the scale a band like Converge is on I can't imagine 50 quid and a veg curry is enough haha.

Of course my main point is that I hate the double standard. A band like The Apers works just as hard as Converge I'm sure so don't give them shit. Be nice!

I think that Converge and Neurosis are both sell-outs because they are both playing/have played gigs in Ireland whilst receiving big guarantees for doing so.

I was also told that both bands recently beat up a DIY promoter in Germany because he did not provide them with the drugs they asked for on their riders.

to be honest we played with shelter last year and i wasnt that impressed with their attitude, they treated the promoter like shit as well, asked all the bands for their gear, including guitars as back ups after local bands were already after providing the backline, and then all they did was moan. and ray cappo is krishna when it suits him, but when the crowd doesnt comprise of krishnas hes totally different, and does drink when it suits also (ie is not straight edge as he sometimes lets on)

my only point is that it doesnt matter how big the band is they can all act dishonourably, in this case i think theres nothin wrong with converge askin for a guarantee, and the tickets are still cheap. also they havent changed their music (like cave in for instance) to cater for mainstream music so i wouldnt consider them sell outs, but thats just my 2 cents.

A guarantee is a guarantee no matter what kind of guitar pedals the band uses. Incidently, I hear a few of you 'punk rockers' sold out recently by demanding a guarantee from your workplace for acts rendered. Fucking cunts, call yourselves punks.
I love the fact that people here who still live with their parent/s can give out about bands who aren't as DIY as they'd like them to be.

the strange guy said:
Incidently, I hear a few of you 'punk rockers' sold out recently by demanding a guarantee from your workplace for acts rendered. Fucking cunts, call yourselves punks.
I love the fact that people here who still live with their parent/s can give out about bands who aren't as DIY as they'd like them to be.
Exactly. I work a shit job for a living because that's fucking reality. There's nothing wrong with living with your parents at all, but there's also nothing wrong with working to pay your bills. Unfortunately bands fall into the same boat and need to use their music to support themselves, it sucks that they have to but it also sucks that I have to sell my labour to an exploitative employer just to get by.

When people give up fulltime jobs to go on tour of course they are going to ask for money - no one can seriously begrudge them trying to get by. Most people I imagine still pay rent when they are on tour or perhaps have families. Obviously that's deifferent from being 21, a student and living in a squat. We can't all be Crimethinc crusaders.

brianMy Remorse said:
to be honest we played with shelter last year and i wasnt that impressed with their attitude, they treated the promoter like shit as well, asked all the bands for their gear, including guitars as back ups after local bands were already after providing the backline, and then all they did was moan. and ray cappo is krishna when it suits him, but when the crowd doesnt comprise of krishnas hes totally different, and does drink when it suits also (ie is not straight edge as he sometimes lets on)
Thats a total pile of shit. I fucking went round Ireland with them and wasn't bothered by them at all. Now the gig in Cork didn't go as well as it could have, and yeah there was a bit of moaning involved (mainly from one person I might add), but I think that it was understandable in the conditions at the time. Certainly I could see where they were coming from. Although I will say that one member of the band was bossy as hell. Still I could handle it, and I was there for three days.
As for treating the promoter like shit, what the fuck are you on about? I was there the entire time and as far as I was concerned everything was on a friendly basis, and the guys were really happy with their dinner and all that stuff, no problems there.
As for your comments about Ray Cappo, that is just shit. Do you even fucking know the guy? I found him to be a genuinely nice person, and I didn't have a problem with him at all. He was a bit cagey at times, but I think its understandable given the amount of shit talked about him. And I know hes said stupid things in the past, but who hasn't? As for the drinks when it suits him thing, thats a fuckin stupid rumour probably started by some guy for a laugh. Needless to say he didn't drink at all when he was over here, and sure isn't Ireland the capital of beer?

yawn. not posting here how much converge want. its none of your business.

as for shelter, i remember last year winty telling me loads of stuff about cappo before we saw them, like about booze and sex an all, and that was the main reason i went down to limerick to see them!! boy, was i disapointed! i guess the fight between them and BY proves that people who play clean hc and people who play crusty stuff will never get along.
i didnt like them much anyway. but who cares..

damien said:
yawn. not posting here how much converge want. its none of your business. QUOTE]

I'd say it is a person business if they are going to part with their money to see them - we need much more transparency regarding costs in punk if people are interested. Any gigs I'm involved with I am more than happy to explain costs, especially if the door price is higher than might be expected.

I personally don't think 12eur is very much, HopeConspiracy in Dublin is 12 euro too isn't it? so it's seems relative.

Also I don't think anyone is moaning about Converge having a guarantee or complaining about what they are asking for. All I was trying to say is that I don't think it's fair to give some bands shit and completely overlook similar comparable gripes with other bands. Consistency!

xConorx said:
damien said:
yawn. not posting here how much converge want. its none of your business. QUOTE]

I'd say it is a person business if they are going to part with their money to see them - we need much more transparency regarding costs in punk if people are interested. Any gigs I'm involved with I am more than happy to explain costs, especially if the door price is higher than might be expected.

I personally don't think 12eur is very much, HopeConspiracy in Dublin is 12 euro too isn't it? so it's seems relative.

Also I don't think anyone is moaning about Converge having a guarantee or complaining about what they are asking for. All I was trying to say is that I don't think it's fair to give some bands shit and completely overlook similar comparable gripes with other bands. Consistency!
I really don't give a fuck about this whole Apers/Converge argument.Be thankfully it wasn't MCD doing wither of the gigs.That's what matters.

Just curious, did FUGAZI not have a gaurantee last time?NOMEANSNO?No doubt a sizeable one at that?No-one ever brings them up I notice.No difference between them and CONVERGE in my book except people who are irked by the fact that metal kids like them now.

god relax! im glad you had nicer experience with them,mine wasnt like that, (that said i did really enjoy their set) im guessin you are on about the girl being bossy? and yeah you are right a lot of it is rumour so maybe i shouldnt get involved in that, but we played with children of fall last year who had something to say not just about shelter but of american bands in general when they play here (europe) again rumour but some i would tend to believe. sorry if i touched a nerve, just wanted to point out theres 2 sides to everything, just like everyone else here is doin i guess.

needtokill said:
I really don't give a fuck about this whole Apers/Converge argument.Be thankfully it wasn't MCD doing wither of the gigs.That's what matters.

Just curious, did FUGAZI not have a gaurantee last time?NOMEANSNO?No doubt a sizeable one at that?No-one ever brings them up I notice.No difference between them and CONVERGE in my book except people who are irked by the fact that metal kids like them now.
Again, that is my point. I just don't think it's fair to give some bands shit because they're pop-punk (and that isn't cool anymore) but overlook guarantees for bands that are "cool".

who cares what theyre asking for , even musicians need to get paid.any people who have a problem with that are morons.

the reason bastard youth had a problem with shelter was cause they were american.fact.

Nobody is complaining what they are asking for at all. I don't think anyone has really mentioned that. The problem is that people complained when other bands had guarantees (Apers, Leftover Crack, AF blah blah). It's mainly about the double standard which wouldn't even been so bad if people hadn't been so vehement in their slating of other bands.

haha believe it or not i wasnt being serious.cappo was a prick though.i dont have a problem with any band asking for a guarentee ...

150quid isnt much of a guarentee to be giving out about.its pretty minimal no ? is that what the apers asked for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back