Converge in Dublin (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it definatily just local supports, or is it going to be tour support& local supports?

i thought twas confirmed as 'masters of standing still' the dagda, could've sworn i read it on here and all, must've dreamt it :confused:

Liiadain said:
i thought twas confirmed as 'masters of standing still' the dagda, could've sworn i read it on here and all, must've dreamt it :confused:
Ah now, thats not fair. When we were in Scandinavia, Trues nodded his head on at least three seperate occasions. Honest!

You know were not the sort of band who would be offered the infamous "scandinavian hug" after a gig, what do you take us for? It actually was more or less in time with the music too.

Ah bless that trues
always one step ahead.

......anyway, is it true that ye're playing?

Lid- maybe Jamie said it to you cos Damo said it to him the other night at... wait for it.. dinner.

As of yet, not confirmed, I believe.

weeler said:
i dont know why.. but when i think of a band supporting converge i think the killing spree..

but it aint us... my money would also be on glynn 'converge albums on 4x7" collector's edition' and the dagda.

s'gonna be storming. and right after my 21st! i'll be old enough to drink (again).

Converge aren't my cuppa tea but the buzz on this board is suprising. I seem to remember not so long ago, people complaining about The Apers being un-DIY, using DIY as a stepping stone and therefore people shouldn't support. From what I heard the Apers got £70 for their Belfast gig and were nice fellas

How much are Converge looking?I'm sure it's more than £70 judging by the adm. price. If they played pop-punk or a style of music that you didn't like would you complain about their guarantee?

I genuinely am interested as there seems to be an odd double-standard. this isn't directed at anyone in particular and isn't stirring shit. I really think it's interesting.

Yeah, you have a point. But I don't consider Converge a hardcore band...or do I...I don't know. I don't think of them as a punk band I suppose. More like a metal band. I would have considered them a hardcore band before, but as you're all well aware these days hardcorepunk is more an attitude than a sound... So I don't whinge about paying around €20 to see Nile, cos they're not a punk band, and it's when people do blatantly unpunk things under the the guise of hardcorepunk that I get pissed off, cos metal is metal but punk is more than just the music. Me and Jill & Damo were talking about this in relation to the gig and the price of the guarantee and all last night, but I don't think I can tell you the conclusion of our discussion...at least as it was for me...heheh...

I guess the main reason I ask is becuase Converge are still termed a hardcore band in pretty muchevery review, synopsis, gig description I've ever seen of them.

I personally don't have a problem with bands having a guarantee necessarily I just don't think it's fair to give other bands shit because they don't play a style of music you're into and then be prepared to overlook a guarantee or attitude when it comes to bands that a person does like musically.

I mean no-one in Belfast seemed to blink an eye when Poison Idea asked for around £1500 because "it's Poison Idea man!" but yapped and fuckin moaned when Shelter asked for £350. And you can't use the "but Posion I dea don't call themselves a hc/punk band and Shelter do". Or the "but Shelter are krshna man that's not cool". I think it's pretty obvious that's rediculous. Shelter haven't been a krishna band since about 1998 or so, that's why Porcell left in 2000. Also the same people that moan about Shelter being krishna listen to Bad Brains, who were openly homophobic.

Fuck I've got off point and this argument could go on all day. We all do it to a certain extent - we all have our biases. My main problem is when people are overly vocal in expressing their opinions about certain bands while portaying a complete double-standard with others.

i think the difference is

converge: a hardcore band that got big
apers: a band trying to use the hardcore scene to get big

big difference..

and the ticket price is cheap considering the money involved..

and i dont know about the support yet as they might be bringing a foriegn band with them and wont tell if or not they are.

"apers: a band trying to use the hardcore scene to get big"

I hate to state the obvious (but I'm the master of that apparantly)

The Apers are a pop punk band, not a hardcore band.

If The Apers played post angular thrashing crustcore nobody would complain about there small modest guarantee.

The Apers where great live, mega nice chaps and they are on an independant DIY label, the absolutly amazing Stardumb records.

Pop punk rules!

so how much is the guarantee?

then we can all do the math and see for ourselves what we think or do we have to take the word of the organisers that "everything is in order?" lets make our own minds up.

I went to see Tool and they aren't very DIY. I paid my money and had a lovely time.
From Ashes Rise are on Jadetree and they have Christian bands on their label. That's funny.
You can buy His Hero Is Gone CDs on Amazon. That's funny too.
I bought an Alice in Chains DVD in HMV, didn't rob it or anything. That's hilarious.

None of the above is punk as fuck, but noone got hurt, and at the end of the day, isn't that what matters?

*sound of applause*

xclarax said:
so how much is the guarantee?

then we can all do the math and see for ourselves what we think or do we have to take the word of the organisers that "everything is in order?" lets make our own minds up.
Organise your own gig and all of the above information will be yours to know forever. I don't really think this is the kind of subject to get worked up about.

I was going to put a proper post on here, but all the stupid fucking crap being written and the stupid fucking attitudes I have experienced from people all over Ireland towards visiting bands in the past and present have made me so angry that I would just end up going round in circles.
Fact is, we're all a bunch of hypocrites, at least I have the fucking balls to admit it and try and change my own attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back