• Thread starter jp
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0

jp

my computer has just been riddled with viruses
and they're seriously fucking up my computer
i did a scan and a cleanup but norton says that the computer is still infected with viruses
does anyone know what choices i have?

some of the virus names are:

hacktool.proxy
Trojan.ByteVerify
XMLid.Exploit

if that helps

i'm gonna try that now
the viruses have now also fucked up my internet connection so i'm going to have to download the trojan remover on my computer and then put it on a cd and run it on my laptop

i think what i need is a spyware removal program
anyone know any good free ones?

jp said:
i think what i need is a spyware removal program
anyone know any good free ones?

Ad-Aware is pretty good, and HijackThis can be useful too.
you can download Ad-Aware here
and HijackThis here
try googling process names before removing them with HijackThis in case they're system processes.

adaware and spybot search & destroy (download here ) is the preferred combination. download all the most current updates for each app. what 1 misses the other will detect and "vice" versa.
in some really bad cases and if you have the time, you're better off re-installing your machine from scratch and loading up a decent firewall plus the spyware stuff before you go on the net.

Spybot Search and destroy is top class............

Download it and check out the advanced settings. you can review all programs in your startup routine and it'll tell you if they're genuine startup programs or Virus/Spyware etc

Likewise it also has a function called the "Tea-timer" which will block any attempts to change windows settings (including registry changes)

Lavasoft adaware is pretty good too for catching things that spyboy misses

You don't mention any firewall. If you don't have one get one. It's as essential as Antivirus software
(Zone Lab's - Zone alarm pro is worth checking out) Even just for a trial period.
If you're using XP, make sure you have the browser's inbuilt firewall switched on.

All of the above have been invaluable to me...........

my personal defence system:

1. the firewall that comes with XP (free)
2. norton (free if you know where to look)
3. mcafee (free if you know where to look)
4. ad-aware (free)
5. spybot search and destroy (free)
6. spywareblaster (free)
7. spywareguard (free)
8. the option in firefox for not letting stuff install on your computer (free)

overkill perchance, but better safe than sorry and all that.

i ended up reinstalling windows
i've just installed service pack 2 which i never had in the first place
thanks for the help

was it not that xp was dodgy and they brought out sp2 to clear it up?

well there's always loads of holes coming to light in XP - probably in any OS, in Windows anyway - that they're always bringing out updates to fix, and usually they do fix it, but apparently SP2 did more harm than good for a lot of people. that was a good few months ago though. say hi to your hot blond friend for me.

it's fine for me
took about 40 minutes to install but it's got firewall and other cool stuff built in
two thumbs

nlgbbbblth said:
never bothered installing my SP2 (CD still on the shelf)

hear it's fun doing so with dial up

should I bother?
If you have the SP2 cd you should definitely put it on. If not, you can get the cd for free on magazines etc. You should never fall behind with security updates on any OS especially windows as the exploits they fix are the first thing that new viruses target. The default XP install is full of security holes.

If you want to try a free secure alternative to windows and have a broadband connection download Simply Mepis Linux. The whole system runs off a cd so you can try it out without having to install it. You can download it for free here :
http://www.mepis.org/book/view/1462

It is very easy to use and has a hell of a lot of free software on it.

Wayne said:
IYou should never fall behind with security updates on any OS especially windows as the exploits they fix are the first thing that new viruses target.

i've found its the other way round. ie updates fix gaping holes through which many banditos have already passed. yeah but good point. anything obvious enough for microsoft to patch will also have caught the attention of even the most club footed of script kiddie. so reduce, reuse, recycle. er i mean firewall, patch, antivirus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back