Coddle (1 Viewer)

nEiLo said:
I'm going to make coddle for me dinner.

I've never made it before and I haven't eaten it in years.

Do people still eat it?

coddle!?! explain...

it sounds dangerously close to 'tripe' on the scary-victorian-workhouse-foods scale.:eek:

Igor said:
coddle!?! explain...

it sounds dangerously close to 'tripe' on the scary-victorian-workhouse-foods scale.:eek:

coddle:
00g (2lb) Potatoes, peeled and sliced
1lt (1¾ pint) Water
8 Large Pork Sausages, cut into large chunks
8 Thick slices Bacon or Ham
4 Large Onions, peeled, sliced
4 tbsp Chopped Parsley

Brown the sausages in a frying pan for a few minutes.
Bring the water to the boil and add the ham or bacon and sausages.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Drain and reserve the water.
Place the ham or bacon and sausages in a large saucepan or casserole dish.
Add the onions, potatoes, salt, pepper and half the parsley, with enough of the reserved liquid to just cover.
Place greased parchment or baking paper on top, cover with a lid.
Either simmer gently or cook in a slow oven for about 1½ hours, until the liquid has reduced and everything is
cooked.
Garnish with the remaining parsley and serve with soda bread.
Serves 4.

replace the sausages with arms and you have cuddle

This reminds me of a story my father told me recently.

When was my age he was workin down the country on a site with a few dubs durin a cold snap of weather. whilst takin his break he noticed that one of them had a pot of what looked like hard white candle wax and was just beginning to heat it over a camping stove. It was in fact coddle that had congealed. He politely refused a bowl and vowed never to eat the stuff.
I've only ever had it once and i didnt like it.

Its made similarly to jambalaya but without the interesting flavours.

As far as i know its just made by boiling spuds, sausage, rashers, onions with milk/water.

get up the yard.

edit: i see you found the recipe. indeedin ye did.

hmmmm........ never heard of coddle til now. it sounds like something I had over the summer in America though. A guy used to sell it next to the beach, was tasty, he had chile and stuff in it too though.

nEiLo said:

Do people still eat it?

My ma used to make it all the time, only in a big pot with no overn type behaviour and she'd boil the sausages (they tasty scrummy).

I'd love some right now, perfect winter pre-beers food IMO.

Well done you.

Lefty Frizzell said:
This reminds me of a story my father told me recently.

When was my age he was workin down the country on a site with a few dubs durin a cold snap of weather. whilst takin his break he noticed that one of them had a pot of what looked like hard white candle wax and was just beginning to heat it over a camping stove. It was in fact coddle that had congealed. He politely refused a bowl and vowed never to eat the stuff.
I've only ever had it once and i didnt like it.

Its made similarly to jambalaya but without the interesting flavours.

As far as i know its just made by boiling spuds, sausage, rashers, onions with milk/water.

get up the yard.

edit: i see you found the recipe. indeedin ye did.

thats a great gas, that story, i'd love to mmet your da sometime. Does he have any amusing anecdotes about any other traditional irish dishes? Over salted stew? Lumpy Colcannon?

c0De_n1NjA said:
thats a great gas, that story, i'd love to mmet your da sometime. Does he have any amusing anecdotes about any other traditional irish dishes? Over salted stew? Lumpy Colcannon?

he passed away two years ago.

Had coddle on Monday. It fucking rules. The ultimate winter food. Been having it every winter for as long as i can remember. Its an uber Dublin thing though. Dont know anyone from outside of the capital who has heard of it. Was only explaining it to the burd last night and she's from Cork like.

Mental name though. Like scabies.

nEiLo said:

Do people still eat it?

just had it myself last night....not that mad about it but i'd eat it once in a while like

tripoli said:
just had it myself last night....not that mad about it but i'd eat it once in a while like

bollocks. really?

i thought coddle went out with the lolo ball. I dont even think you can get it in any pubs anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back