Ciao Trap. Next. (1 Viewer)

OK, got it. They weigh your average points per month over 4 years on a decreasing % scale and the total is your scrore. Here's Iran

Average(PM) WeightAvg. Weight
2010 239.17 20% 47.83
2011 385.24 30% 115.57
2012 305.5 50% 152.75
2013 296.74 100% 296.74
Total 613

So you can win and go down if you're win is not pushing up your average from previous games.
Crazy system, but in short we'll be sinking for a while cos of Austria, Sweden etc

OK, got it. They weigh your average points per month over 4 years on a decreasing % scale and the total is your scrore. Here's Iran

Average(PM) WeightAvg. Weight
2010 239.17 20% 47.83
2011 385.24 30% 115.57
2012 305.5 50% 152.75
2013 296.74 100% 296.74
Total 613

So you can win and go down if you're win is not pushing up your average from previous games.
Crazy system, but in short we'll be sinking for a while cos of Austria, Sweden etc
Right so, again taking us back to the original point where this all came up. No matter the result of the Poland and Latvia matches we'll still be losing points if we win. And losing even more points if we lose. It defeats the purpose of playing the matches. If we play 6-7 friendlies in the next year and win against "lesser" sides, lose to the big lads we could be in pot 3 or 4 by the time we have a settled team ? Is that right ?

It's still worth playing them, because by winning we will still be bumping up our average, even if it remains lower than our previous averages.
We just don;t get as much of a raise in our average cos you get less against weak teams and in friendlies.

With your question, are you referring to the WC qualifiers or Euros? UEFA uses a different co-efficient, which includes but is more than the FIFA rankings, and so for that we are now, miraculously, the last second seed team (better even than this WC qualifier just gone) provided that Romania don;t win against Greece in either of their qualifiers (or is it both?). The rankings for the Euro draw close after the WC play-offs.

It's still worth playing them, because by winning we will still be bumping up our average, even if it remains lower than our previous averages.
We just don;t get as much of a raise in our average cos you get less against weak teams and in friendlies.

With your question, are you referring to the WC qualifiers or Euros? UEFA uses a different co-efficient, which includes but is more than the FIFA rankings, and so for that we are now, miraculously, the last second seed team (better even than this WC qualifier just gone) provided that Romania don;t win against Greece in either of their qualifiers (or is it both?). The rankings for the Euro draw close after the WC play-offs.
Jesus, that's madness. Romania are way above us in the UEFA standings though ?

Member associations - UEFA rankings - Country coefficients – UEFA.com

The more I learn the more confused I am.

Yeah it is total madness.
To think that after all this shit for the last two years, we'll see second seeds for a competition where the top two seeds qualify automatically.

OK, to finish this madness, we'll be second seeds for the Euros unless Romania win both games against Greece or draw one and win the other one by 32 goals.

When's the draw for the Euro groups? Is it before the friendlies? Do they stop the ranking after qualifying? What the fuck.

God. I remember when you qualified for stuff by winning games. Is this what we're reduced to?

This is entertainingly pointless, Balls.ie ran simulations on Football Manager of our Euro 2016 campaign under McCarthy, O'Neill and Keane:
Balls.ie | Who The Next Ireland Manager Should Be According to Football Manager

Cox, Ward & Pearce feature bizarrely prominently, and we make the quarter finals twice, either Trap had us underachieving or FM2014 have been a bit charitable with their ratings.

This looks like it's actually going to happen, or else Paul O'Hehir at the Mirror will look very silly indeed:
Mad day. Keane & O'Neill, box office. All but done after lengthy talks, just case of getting signed off. Plenty in tomorrow's @IrishMirror

I don't see much football logic behind this: we'll have two shouty Mr. Motivator (or Mr. Intimidator, for Keane) types jumping up and down and screaming at the players when what O'Neil apparently lacked lately was somebody taking care of the more subtle tactical end of things. They've both got a reputation for basically old school British style football, whereas what we need is somebody to get us out of the 4-4-2 long ball stone age. Plus Keane is hardly going to be a subservient background figure - how many equal-status football management partnerships have ever worked out? It'll be a wild ride, until Keano gets frustrated and jumps ship in 6 months.

how many equal-status football management partnerships have ever worked out?

It's not equal status though. Keane will be no.2. I know Tardelli was ostensibly no. 2, but the best football Ireland played under Trapattoni was when Brady (the Ireland legend but failed former manager) was involved.

This looks like it's actually going to happen, or else Paul O'Hehir at the Mirror will look very silly indeed:

I don't see much football logic behind this: we'll have two shouty Mr. Motivator (or Mr. Intimidator, for Keane) types jumping up and down and screaming at the players when what O'Neil apparently lacked lately was somebody taking care of the more subtle tactical end of things. They've both got a reputation for basically old school British style football, whereas what we need is somebody to get us out of the 4-4-2 long ball stone age. Plus Keane is hardly going to be a subservient background figure - how many equal-status football management partnerships have ever worked out? It'll be a wild ride, until Keano gets frustrated and jumps ship in 6 months.

Both of them have a habit of throwing their toys out of the pram so I can't see it lasting. It's an interesting experiment anyway. It's basically what I was saying earlier about getting the most out of the current crop while making plans to improve the future of the sport at grass roots level.

This is step one. Get a management team in place that understand what we as supporters expect from the team.

Step two is the really hard part. With the Euros being extended we might stand a chance of qualifying. We'll still get hammered by any decent side in the actual tournament so building something for the future should be the next priority. To be fair having Keane as part of the set up could be a blessing because at least he's not afraid to rattle a few cages. As far as I can see the FAI has never had a voice of dissention within it's ranks before. And O Niell does work well with young players. It's interesting definitely a side step rather than a strong foot forward though.

They can both get fucked. Unless Ron Noades takes over, this is pretty much worst case scenario.

Keane in the dugout? I'd rather cheer on England. Or France.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back