Children Referendum (3 Viewers)

I don't buy that. I think the No vote was so high because people who are generally against something will make more of an effort to have their say. IMO.

I'd agree with this assessment.
I guess the argument on the 4 v 1 story would be that's it is just one article being inserted into the constitution so it only needs one option.

the latter. I was listening to Marian Finucane this morning and they were saying that part of the reason the No vote was so high may have been because of this. People may have agreed with some parts but not others, but had no way to voice their disapproval of whatever it was they didn't like other than voting no to the whole thing.

I do generally agree with this idea . for example, i do think in the european treaty votes, rather than voting on the treaty to vote on where it disagrees with our constitution. It would certainly make it simpler for people than a cumbersome 8 million page document.

--------

on another issue with the turnout. a work colleague was saying maybe there should be a quorum before a referendum is valid. The problem i see with this idea is that No groups on such referendums would be canvassing for people not to turn out to vote in order to make it harder to reach a quorum. I was accused of being cynical and that "no they wouldn't do."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back