Children Referendum (1 Viewer)

it still seems a bit subjective. Who decides whether the criteria for the child to be able to make their own decision is met or not. Child chooses to go against the grain, they're not mature enough to make the decision. They toe the line, then all is grand.

i'd forgotten previous to joining camp 'yes', but i spent a summer about the age of 13/14 chain smoking with a friend who was mid custody battle. female parent was a raging abusive alco, male parent liked a drink but was a teddy bear and generally was just family orientated. female parent wanted full custody of my mate and their sibling who had down syndrome. male parent was fighting to just have access as our system is female biased in general. all the time me and my mate who may have been 15/16 were just standing about chain smoking or they'd go into court, hear some stuff and come out again. In that case, it was plain as day where the custody should have been going for both syblings, but court bias and no input from the kids sent them back to raging alco female parent. eventually some loophole was found and 50/50 access restored.

basically, i can see how it could be subjective in a lot of cases, but there are times when its as clear as day that a few words from the childer would be for the best.

voted earlier on there. Nearly had to wake up the lads in the polling station it was that quiet.

they'll do well to get 25% turnout the way things are going. Pretty embarrassing.

looked shockingly bad out our way too. amazing to think that 2/3rds of adults don't care about "a number of areas of children’s rights including adoption, protection, State intervention in neglect cases and giving children a say in their own protection proceedings." http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1110/breaking1.html

Labour TD

Rebecca Moynihan @RebeccaMoy
"Donegal. They need to decide if they're in or out."

I voted yes.

I just wish I felt more sure that I did the right thing.

I learned more about the proposal this morning. Shit I didn't know when voting and which could have influenced my vote. I'm mad as hell over that.

That if you lose your job you become one of 'the poor' and the state will seize your starving naked children?

you mean from a legal point of view there should have been four questions, or that that would be the fairest way of doing it?

the latter. I was listening to Marian Finucane this morning and they were saying that part of the reason the No vote was so high may have been because of this. People may have agreed with some parts but not others, but had no way to voice their disapproval of whatever it was they didn't like other than voting no to the whole thing.

I don't buy that. I think the No vote was so high because people who are generally against something will make more of an effort to have their say. IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back