Children Referendum (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
yet again I feel ill-informed. But, rather than do the usual for me, which is to go against the government in cases where I don't fully understand whats being voted on (I think the last one I voted with the government on was the good friday agreement one) I'm going to abstain.

I haven't gotten my polling card yet anyway so, unless it comes soon, won't really have a choice.

But it seems a bit farcical the way its being handled. The lack of debate due to the lack of any decent 'No' campaign is really showing up the referendum commission as being totally inadequate in getting the information out there.

And yes, I know I could make more of an effort, but really I'm no different than most Joe Bloggs' out there, and if I don't know what its about I'm pretty sure thats how most people are fixed.

Scutter, you dont need a polling card to vote

are they not being sent out? Or is it that I just need to bring ID if my name is on the list?

also, Dana is against it. Loads of saps are against it, which would also push me towards a 'yes', but on the other hand the government and shinners and everyone are a Yes, which would make me tend towards a No. Which is why I'm abstaining.

deciding how to vote - or whether to vote - depending on what the government are suggesting.

The whole point of my post was that I didn't know what the referendum was about, and that I am typical of a lot of others. However I think the onus is on the government (via the supposedly independent referendum commission, who its fair to say are neither independent or neutral) to get information out there. In general, because of the poor job they do I tend to vote No as I feel they are being sly to favour their own agenda. But in this case I won't vote No as it seems that might be the wrong thing to do based on the subject matter. I don't have kids, so its not a topic I am very familiar with and I don't understand the issues. In this case I am happy to leave the voting to those that know better than me.

In summary, in other referendums I vote against the govt to punish them for not being open. In this case, though I still feel they are not being open, I won't vote against them.

Which I think is fair enough.

this is the thing though. it's a referendum. it's a vote to change the constitution or not - not a vote to change the government or not.

voting to punish the government by voting 'against them' in a referendum makes no sense.

The referendum commission has sent out a leaflet explaining the changes involved to every house and are never off the radio pushing it.Their impartiality may be questioned but I don't think they can be faulted for lack of effort.
Sit down for a few minutes later,read an argument from both sides and decide accordingly.

And progress that to the point that every children's charity thinks its a good thing so just get out and vote yes rather than not bothering.It'll only take a few minutes.
The greatest fear is that everyone will assume that everyone else is voting yes so they needn't bother,the no voters will get out and vote,its important that apathy doesn't let them win it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back