Cheap,decent sounding practice amps. (1 Viewer)

Depending on the amp about 20/30 quid for a PPIMV. If you've multiple inputs I can use one of them for the volume pot so there's non unrecoverable damage to the chassis/faceplate.

You've a JMP, Sparse?

in reference to using smaller (50w or whatever amps) I play a 100w Marshall,and I know it's loud. In trying to compromise with soundmen,I borrowed a 50w version of the same head. You'd imagine it would be as close as possible soundwise.
Two problems,
one,it sounded shit
and two,made no difference to soundmen.

difference in absolute dB output between 50/100W isnt that massive afaik, due to the whole log scale thing. probably only bout 15%

the point is,if a guitar player has to play a particular amp loud,to get the required sound,the sound man has to accept that.

Good article somewhere on the internets from Rev. Horton Heat on the vocal mic picking up most everything on stage and other mics there to compensate for volumes. Sound engineers who start off by saying, "give me the kick. Give me the snare..." etc are doing it all backwards. Should be starting with the vocal mic and building from there. He also goes on to describe how the modern PA has destroyed musicianship in regards to being able to play with dynamics. Before the monitoring system and mega PA's, musicians used to mix themselves by the level they played at. Drummers included.

I saw that band The Go one time(after Jack White had left) and everytime there was a guitar solo,the singer would stumble over to the guitar cab and hold the mic right in front of it. It was incredible.

They were playing full stacks in a small club(Empty Bottle in Chicago)

Good article somewhere on the internets from Rev. Horton Heat on the vocal mic picking up most everything on stage and other mics there to compensate for volumes. Sound engineers who start off by saying, "give me the kick. Give me the snare..." etc are doing it all backwards. Should be starting with the vocal mic and building from there. He also goes on to describe how the modern PA has destroyed musicianship in regards to being able to play with dynamics. Before the monitoring system and mega PA's, musicians used to mix themselves by the level they played at. Drummers included.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...g/182750-perspective-downfall-live-music.html

the point is,if a guitar player has to play a particular amp loud,to get the required sound,the sound man has to accept that.

i said that in every post on the sound part of this thread, but because i wasn't siding with the guitarists i didn't get a pile of likes for saying it. spose people hear what the want to in essence.

I think you veered off too much into talking about monitor mixes and stuff.

Let's face it,guitarists talking about playing loud? it needs to be blunt.

Theres a couple of lovers of the VHT special 6 here - quick question, can you get resonably gain-y tones out of it at moderate volumes (ie not drowning the telly out).
looking at getting a small recording/mucking about amp in the next few months, looking at this and the blackstar HT1. HT1 has the advantage of an emulated line out of course and the option of reverb. not to mention being pretty tiny.
However, comparing guts shots the quality of what goes into the VHT seems far higher, not to mention it being pretty easy to mod as its not PCB based. I wouldnt be adverse to sticking in a MV if needs be(as Ive done this for more complex amps), but would rather not go drilling holes in the amp if I didnt have to.
anyone have/tried both???

Just did a wee test on my vht. using the SHO it cant really get a gain thing going without being louder than the dishwasher, and using the built in boost its out of the question. It will run a big muff at less than the volume of the dishwasher but i'd say if volume is a decider then the ht1 is better as the gain isn't a separate control on the special 6.

Just did a wee test on my vht. using the SHO it cant really get a gain thing going without being louder than the dishwasher, and using the built in boost its out of the question. It will run a big muff at less than the volume of the dishwasher but i'd say if volume is a decider then the ht1 is better as the gain isn't a separate control on the special 6.

thanks for that! I guess volume wouldnt be an absolute decider - as i said Id be comfortable with the idea of taking the soldering iron too it if needs be.
are the lo/hi inputs effectively low/high gain inputs as well?
The price point is pretty attractive tho.
it'll be a few months before I make the jump. I see guitar center in town has a HT1, might try it out (there was an african guy there playing incredibly complictaed sounding african funk on it last time I visited)

the hi low are different gains, but the difference is pretty marginal. I was using an 8 inch 40w bass speaker for that. if you get a tiny speaker for it it might break up the speaker at a lower level.

been looking at the schematic of the VHT there - interestingly enough the volume pot is where a lot of similar small amps stick the gain, so popping in a master volume after the second stage of V1 should give you effective gain and vol controls - sacrificing the low input would mean you wouldnt have to do any irreversible damage to the chassis.also a bright cap switch and hot/normal bias switches should be a piece of piss to add - should one want to get the drill out.
I think its price point and tinkerability might make it a hit in the raz household.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back