Cheap,decent sounding practice amps. (1 Viewer)

(not a joke)

how do you get a drummer to turn down?

thats obvious enough, the conclusion of that conversation is that basically the vocalists and drummers should have first saywhats on coming through the monitors, and the instrumentalists should play at lowest toneable level and shut the fuck up.

That was in reference to onstage volume,not monitors

So it's accepted,that a drummer can be as loud as he wants,but other instruments have to down? I would have thought if the soundman can deal with a drummers volume,then other instruments at similar volume should be fine?

In my experience,this is never the case. Drummers are never told to adjust.

i've a feeling drums carry less sound forward, whereas amps are directly projecting volume forward. so, the drum sounds are isolated in the vicinity of the kit (albeit their high frequencies are bouncing off walls), but the guitars are beaming in one direction

and an easy solution for guitarists to get the volume they want, without having to really blast their amp, is get the cab pointing towards your head. if it's a combo, lean it over, if it's a cab, raise it up. can make the world of difference

the sweet spot is the problem alright. my amp, despite only being a 50 watt, is crazy loud and the tone only really levels out at about 6 or 7, but even i recognise it's horrifically loud (can drown out the drums in practice!). i was going to get an attenuator, but i found a modded keeley blues driver pedal gave me a cheap almost fix.

i'm fully aware that in most medium sized rooms the ambient noise of my amp, when cranked, will drown out everything in the PA, regardless of how good the PA is,and that doesn't really serve any purpose. i guess the other solution is to play behind perspex! and get a ponytail...

i think most sound engineers problem isn't how much noise from the cab is going into the mic, but into the room itself without the pa. reversing the cab is a really good idea, not sure why more bands don't do it. i always forget.

Much as I love the sound of 100 watt Marshalls, I stopped using them for this very reason - they only sounded good cranked. At least mine did anyway. Though Anthonys 100 watt JCM 900 sounds pretty much the same at any volume.

I don't mind being realistic with volume on stage, but it generally depends on what the sound engineers attitude, what they think of your style of music, and how you eq your amp. I have this 30 watt Orange head thats switchable down to 7 watts, and thats thats how I run it at gigs - in 7 watt mode with the volume at about 3. No problems keeping up with the drummer. I eq it so the mids are fairly prominant, and the cuts through the mix and blends with the band. A guitar eq'd with lots of treble and bass is going to comptete with the bass and cymbals and not cut through nearly as well.

It's one thing I think guitar players don't do often enough - really listen to what their guitar sounds like with the rest of the band as opposed to just on it's own. I realised this when I was atp a few years ago when I was watching the Melvins set up. Buzzo came out and got his guitar tone sorted so he was playing away unmiced. His tone was fucking awful. Nasel, harsh and fizzy. But when the band kicked in at all made sense.

Darren, if you're still using the 2x12 you might think about starting to use smaller cab and directing it. Field Musics second guitar player had that set up - 100 watt Marshall (on the ground) + 1x12 cab on an amp stand pointing up. I have a 1x12 and a 2x12, and the different in volume is huge. Another options is to change the speakers. Those Marshall cabs are 150 watts. Maybe put a few greenbacks or a greenback and a g12H.

I bet Matt Pike was turned way down last night.

Yeah funny how the sound was absolutely perfect last night yet he had a 100 watt head, a 300 watt head and four 4x12s plus Al had two 300 watt heads and another 100 watt head two 8x10s and and two 4x12s.

Well I'm happy to give Sound Engineers more control, I do realise that by me turning down does give them more scope to use the P.A. Unfortunately my amp is a non master volume so anything below 2 and the tone dies. It really just depends on the engineer that you get, some are cool about it, some aren't. The ones that aren't make my life hell and generally make me sound like i'm playing banjo in a rock band. I'm going to get an attenuator and if I still have problems I'm going to shove that attenuator up their ass.

How about getting a master volume put on your head? Much healthier for it than using an attenuator, cheaper too.

sure, a residency or two in portadown under your belt then monitoring does become the stuff of dreams. I'm bad at expressing it, but my ideal scenario (only personally) is essentially hearing front of house through the monitors. the way this will happen is by there not being amp cockfights going on on the stage.

Surely being so close to the drum kit you're never going to get foh through the monitors no matter what way you set the amps.

in reference to using smaller (50w or whatever amps) I play a 100w Marshall,and I know it's loud. In trying to compromise with soundmen,I borrowed a 50w version of the same head. You'd imagine it would be as close as possible soundwise.
Two problems,
one,it sounded shit
and two,made no difference to soundmen.

Yeah I'm still using the Marshall 2x12, I actually have another 60w 2x12 with Celestion Greenbacks which breaks up sooner and makes more sense at lower volumes. Maybe I should be using that more. It's a smaller cab though so it doesn't have the same kinda BOOM as the big 2x12 cab. It's just annoying because you never know when your going to get hassle. Anyway I just bought a Marshall PowerBrake on ebay, it's switchable from 8 & 16 ohms so it'd be pretty versatile when using other peoples cabs. Please god let this be the end of my problems.

Moose how much would a master volume mod cost?

Yeah I'm still using the Marshall 2x12, I actually have another 60w 2x12 with Celestion Greenbacks which breaks up sooner and makes more sense at lower volumes. Maybe I should be using that more. It's a smaller cab though so it doesn't have the same kinda BOOM as the big 2x12 cab. It's just annoying because you never know when your going to get hassle. Anyway I just bought a Marshall PowerBrake on ebay, it's switchable from 8 & 16 ohms so it'd be pretty versatile when using other peoples cabs. Please god let this be the end of my problems.

Moose how much would a master volume mod cost?

how much did you get the power brake for and yes, id also be interested in the same mod x 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back