Cancelled (13 Viewers)

but thats taking an over-simplistic view

I frequently tell the people I manage to take downtime during working time. I don't do it because I'm dead sound. I do it because I know that 6 productive hours of work is better than 8 half-arsed hours of work that might come about because of fatigue or disinterest.

it is not a free hour for the sake of it. It is an hour you are burning to increase your return on the rest of the hours that are being worked.

remember that nothing for nothing argument? Kinda the same principle at play.
What if 25% of your staff are closet homophobes and that hour of forced gayness or whatever they've decided it is this week puts them off doing anything for the day, or for the month and then the 75% of rational staff members have a month of realizing that they work alongside people who are mad into homophobic internet hysteria and they have to sit beside then to make money. This is not the same as 'it's a nice day and we are on schedule, you could catch a walk after lunch if you like'.

I get that they're saying they have a blanket ban on "distractions" that don't directly contribute to company success

But then he states that Pride specifically is a political hot potato

"What’s really tough now is that Pride has got wrapped up, unfortunately, within some circles in kind of more divisive and political issues"

Reading between the lines there, it says to me “vocal recognition of Pride is hurting our prospects of doing business in places where it’s a no-no, so we’re choosing profit over solidarity with our LGBTQ+ employees”. Sure enough the staff are going to read it that way, too.

By the end of Pride I get kind of tired of seeing corporations telling me how down they are with the LGBTQ agenda, when it's mostly just something they do to soften and burnish their brand
Stories like this stuff pulls me back the other way

You primarily want your employees to feel welcomed as their authentic selves in every situation at work
Beyond that how much you need flags and parties and decorations, I'm not sure. But I'm not sure how else you do it.
Dunno how you strip the political from it and make it jut about inclusion and acceptance for everyone.

We have an LGBTQ ERG at work - definitely a bunch of June events - and definitely noticed more trans people at meetings and in the building, which is cool.
Slight mental adjustment, more like a double take, but you want people to feel welcome and wanted.

This guy at the tech firm isn't just trying to be apolitical, dude is an anti-woke believer if he's giving props to Tucker.

Anyways

Peace and love

dublin bus seem to push the pride boat out farther than most - the massive multinational corporation i work for jumped on the bandwagon years ago, but i saw an ad on the back of a bus the other day with largish text saying 'what does sapphic mean?' with a link displayed on where to find out. that's a *little* bit further than the 'gays are fun people!' most corporations aim for.

dublin bus seem to push the pride boat out farther than most - the massive multinational corporation i work for jumped on the bandwagon years ago, but i saw an ad on the back of a bus the other day with largish text saying 'what does sapphic mean?' with a link displayed on where to find out. that's a *little* bit further than the 'gays are fun people!' most corporations aim for.

I think Dublin Bus are a key sponsor of Dublin Pride.

I think Dublin Bus are a key sponsor of Dublin Pride.
The big problem with Pride events for a long time now is some of the sponsors.
There was a thread here about 3 years ago with a link to partners for Dublin Pride. A lot of multinationals were listed and some really horrific corporations among them - major whitewashing.

No problem with Dublin Bus BTW.

She sounds lovely
considering what a lot of us went through at school, this is (provided it is true) minor stuff.
bullying is often considered normal in sports coaching.

only the allegation of grabbing someone's collar bone or neck (they are not sure) is serious.

telling a player to lose weight - what were the circumstances?

none of this would put Pauw's position at risk. this doesn't warrant banning her as a coach.
again she denies all this.

what happened to the man who threatened to shoot Pauw in Houston?

anyway this is not the person we have seen in Ireland.
the Ireland team since Colin Bell's time have massively overachieved with a small base of players and a tiny budget.

considering what a lot of us went through at school, this is (provided it is true) minor stuff.
bullying is often considered normal in sports coaching.

only the allegation of grabbing someone's collar bone or neck (they are not sure) is serious.

none of this would put Pauw's position at risk. this doesn't warrant banning her as a coach.
again she denies all this.

what happened to the man who threatened to shoot Pauw in Houston?

anyway this is not the person we have seen in Ireland.
the Ireland team since Colin Bell's time have massively overachieved with a small base of players and a tiny budget.
Right

Listen to any interview with her where she's just talking about football and her vision for the team, and you'd go to war for her

Right

Listen to any interview with her where she's just talking about football and her vision for the team, and you'd go to war for her
I think she's lovely and the allegations don't add up.

even if that's the worst stuff the Houston players ever saw they are lucky.

imagine being in a dressing room w/ Keano, Carragher and the Nevilles.
if you had a shit game you'd be scared to go into the dressing room - with good reason.

There's nothing in that that doesn't happen throughout a soccer game is there? Like it's not the GAA in terms of contact but also little tugs and pushes are bread and butter in the heat of a game.

There's nothing in that that doesn't happen throughout a soccer game is there? Like it's not the GAA in terms of contact but also little tugs and pushes are bread and butter in the heat of a game.

Rare for a coach to do that. Power structures etc.

I would tend not to believe it though. If you're a coach getting physical with a squad full of people half your age, you'll get battered. Better to prove your more intelligent, more driven, more powerful in other ways. That's pretty basic stuff.

She would argue that she has in fact encouraged players to eat more.

She has a personal take, perhaps born out by sports science, that her players shouldn't gain too much weight in terms of muscle and says that it's a cause of ACL injuries in women's football.

There has been a huge spate of ACL injuries among women footballers this season following the euros. Arsenal missed Beth Mead and Vivianne Miedema for the last half season due to them so maybe she's on to something.

There were some accusations that she was very strict that the players follow her training regmine, well no shit, she's the fucking coach.

She sounds lovely
I know you’re being sarcastic but she does genuinely seem to be. My kids football team were doing a mini World Cup recently. Vera happened to be going for a jog in the park at the same time. One of the parents stopped her and asked if she’d come over and say hi to the player. She went home, got changed in to her kit and came back, presented the medals and posed for photos with the kids. Which I thought was dead sound of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back