Cancelled (7 Viewers)

So I read something else, and you are spot on

He said something about someone swiping his dinner and him going "Ah, ya knacker"

The kind of thing that we used to let slide, but we're all trying to be better. And letting things slide doesn't help.

Some of the media coverage has been very much of the "snowflakes are at it again" sort. Drawing attention to the synonym for tired part and skimming over the slur against travellers part.

Don't know if it's more to do with people thinking he's a decent lad or just the general "fuck the travellers" attitude that this country defaults to.

"They said I was a n-word, they said I was a Traveler, they said I was n-word, they said I was a Traveler, they said I was n-word, they said I was a Traveler, n-word, Traveler, n-word, Traveler, n-word, Traveler, Irish citizen"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some of the media coverage has been very much of the "snowflakes are at it again" sort. Drawing attention to the synonym for tired part and skimming over the slur against travellers part.

Don't know if it's more to do with people thinking he's a decent lad or just the general "fuck the travellers" attitude that this country defaults to.
When it doesn't strike people right away, they get defensive and then you just can't reach them

This is a very unusual decision for a company like this to take

I know some folks there and they will not be happy about this. There is a sense of holding on to whatever job you have for the moment, thing going on at the moment, but that won't last and I can see a lot of people jumping ship. Though maybe that is the idea.

This is a very unusual decision for a company like this to take

I know some folks there and they will not be happy about this. There is a sense of holding on to whatever job you have for the moment, thing going on at the moment, but that won't last and I can see a lot of people jumping ship. Though maybe that is the idea.

The article focuses on pride as the headline but it reads like they are just stopping doing anything that isn't working to weather the economic changes?

like not doing free stuff because it costs money?

The article focuses on pride as the headline but it reads like they are just stopping doing anything that isn't working to weather the economic changes?

like not doing free stuff because it costs money?
maybe the article puts a disproportionate amount of focus on pride, but it seems its going from being a strong supporter, to nothing at all.

I suppose the true test will be at christmas to see if they stick to their 'no decorations in the office', rule

maybe the article puts a disproportionate amount of focus on pride, but it seems its going from being a strong supporter, to nothing at all.

I suppose the true test will be at christmas to see if they stick to their 'no decorations in the office', rule

from my unpopular position on here of not working in tech the expectation of company resources like time and money going to personal causes and all that isn't really so much of a thing in some of the places i've worked.

I'd look at it a bit more long term - like what the company are actually saying isn't anti pride, it's just not spending hours on stuff that doesn't make money - tech stuff has been in a unicorn world for a while and sees it's first major threat now, i might not have space to be a unicorn type industry in the future and this is a realistic approach to getting ahead of that? Like it might have to stop acting like the modern utopia and act like a business?

Also when you re-read they've kinda got enough scope in the wording to get away with doing xmas.

from my unpopular position on here of not working in tech the expectation of company resources like time and money going to personal causes and all that isn't really so much of a thing in some of the places i've worked.

I'd look at it a bit more long term - like what the company are actually saying isn't anti pride, it's just not spending hours on stuff that doesn't make money - tech stuff has been in a unicorn world for a while and sees it's first major threat now, i might not have space to be a unicorn type industry in the future and this is a realistic approach to getting ahead of that? Like it might have to stop acting like the modern utopia and act like a business?

Also when you re-read they've kinda got enough scope in the wording to get away with doing xmas.
probably true

ultimately it will come down to whether this decision has made the work environment less comfortable for those in the communities such as LGBTQIA+.

When Trump was president if america and brought in those horrible rules about people not being allowed to travel from certain countries under any circumstances, several tech companies got together to voice their opposition to those rules. The company I was in at the time was not one of them. Whats worse was that the head of the company sat on one of Trump's tech advisory boards. We figured when that was announced there would be uproar within the company. But there wasn't. People just went to work as normal. I suppose people don't want to rock the boat too much when their livelihood is at stake.

I get that they're saying they have a blanket ban on "distractions" that don't directly contribute to company success

But then he states that Pride specifically is a political hot potato

"What’s really tough now is that Pride has got wrapped up, unfortunately, within some circles in kind of more divisive and political issues"

I get that they're saying they have a blanket ban on "distractions" that don't directly contribute to company success

But then he states that Pride specifically is a political hot potato

"What’s really tough now is that Pride has got wrapped up, unfortunately, within some circles in kind of more divisive and political issues"

The problem is that is fair reflection on how things have moved in the past few years. I'm not saying it's right, but it is.

Instead of taking down the decorations that were already up they should have said "sorry but we have to cut out this non-work stuff from now on". It would be interesting to see if they'd wage war on Christianity in the same way in December.

Instead of taking down the decorations that were already up they should have said "sorry but we have to cut out this non-work stuff from now on". It would be interesting to see if they'd wage war on Christianity in the same way in December.

In pure economics - setting aside 1 hour for pride in a company that size is gonna be on par with giving someone six months paid leave, or alternately if the company was in bother, that would be giving someone marching orders to facilitate something that the company doesn't make money from.

The easy argument to make is these dicks are a fucking bunch of cancelled homophobes - the less popular argument to make is that time = money.

You could cancel xmas in a workplace, but it would not stop 100% the staff bartering for days off, mornings off and coming to work exhausted for their shortest day of the year appropriate cultural interaction.

In pure economics - setting aside 1 hour for pride in a company that size is gonna be on par with giving someone six months paid leave, or alternately if the company was in bother, that would be giving someone marching orders to facilitate something that the company doesn't make money from.

The easy argument to make is these dicks are a fucking bunch of cancelled homophobes - the less popular argument to make is that time = money.

You could cancel xmas in a workplace, but it would not stop 100% the staff bartering for days off, mornings off and coming to work exhausted for their shortest day of the year appropriate cultural interaction.
but thats taking an over-simplistic view

I frequently tell the people I manage to take downtime during working time. I don't do it because I'm dead sound. I do it because I know that 6 productive hours of work is better than 8 half-arsed hours of work that might come about because of fatigue or disinterest.

it is not a free hour for the sake of it. It is an hour you are burning to increase your return on the rest of the hours that are being worked.

remember that nothing for nothing argument? Kinda the same principle at play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back