can (3 Viewers)

Right so.
Best / worst album?
Best / worst song?
Best / worst work since Can?
Anyone?

My favourite Can album changes all the time, right now it's Tago Mago. Delay 1968 has been creeping up a bit lately though. Least favourite is Out Of Reach. I felt like I'd found the Lost Gospels when I got a copy of it. SO disappointed. The final wheezy dribbling gasps from the fall of the decadent and senile Can empire.

Best song doesn't change, it's Moonshake from Future Days. Perfect. A very happy 3 minutes. Worst song? I dunno. Like Inobe God from Out Of Reach is heart-breaking though.

Best work since Can (for me) is Jaki Liebezeit's Secret Rhythms series, nos 3, 4 and 5 with Burnt Friedman. Also, the Cyclopean EP is really good, that's Irmin and Jaki and their respective collaborators.
Worst...there's unfortunately a lot to pick from. Each of them has some especially nasty bits and pieces in their back catalogues. You could randomly pick a record from any of their back catalogues and it would be 50/50 whether it would be good or a very arduous listen.

Hey pop-pickers...
Just in case any of you are interested, I'm involved in a new book about the work of Jaki Liebezeit, to be published by Unbound, hopefully towards the end of the year. It's going to be a bit of a treasure-trove for the Can fan in your life. Its a crowd-funded thing, which launched a few days ago, seems to be going fairly well.
Have a luke at the buke here:

Jaki Liebezeit: Life, Theory and Practice of a Master Drummer

The pledge rewards are a bit sparse just now, there'll be more stuff going up shortly.

Hey pop-pickers...
Just in case any of you are interested, I'm involved in a new book about the work of Jaki Liebezeit, to be published by Unbound, hopefully towards the end of the year. It's going to be a bit of a treasure-trove for the Can fan in your life. Its a crowd-funded thing, which launched a few days ago, seems to be going fairly well.
Have a luke at the buke here:

Jaki Liebezeit: Life, Theory and Practice of a Master Drummer

The pledge rewards are a bit sparse just now, there'll be more stuff going up shortly.
cool, will think about pledging. sounds really interesting. although drumming theory is gonna be waaay over my head.

went to the Can Project in London last April. amazing show made up of Malcolm Mooney era Can tunes primarily but the absence of Jaki was a gaping hole I thought. Steve Shelley and the Tomaga drummer (who was drafted in after Jaki died) didn't work too well. Was originally supposed to be Jaki and Shelley which would have been pretty cool, because Shelley was killing it on the night. Herself from Tomaga, not so much.

Ah! You made it! Deadly!
I don't know Tomaga, will have to check them out. I like Schmidt's stuff, but without Jaki I didn't see the need. Would love to have seen Mooney though...how was he?

I kinda hate Steve Shelley's drumming. I liked it back in the day...he was always belting live. But I don't think much of his approach any more. That was another major reason I didn't go in the end...very cool to hear that he did a good job though.
The most important part of the book will be the theory stuff alright. But there'll be a comprehensive biography and lots of background detail. I'd honestly say it would be worth a punt anyway, just as a Can fan.

Ah! You made it! Deadly!
I don't know Tomaga, will have to check them out. I like Schmidt's stuff, but without Jaki I didn't see the need. Would love to have seen Mooney though...how was he?

Mooney was great, really strong vocals throughout, and spot on too. Thought he'd struggle as the show went on, but not the case at all. Only dodgy one was when they strayed off into a non Mooney track, Mother Sky.

Thought Geoff Barrow of Portishead/Beak> would have been a great choice to TRY and fill in.

T Moore was really fucking good I thought. Completely on point throughout, very loyal to Karoli on record but unleashed some very sweet noise when appropriate.

The Scmidt/LSO pieces beforehand were interesting enough. Not mind blowing by any means, for these ears anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back