Can you identify this strange insect? (2 Viewers)

I still haven't recovered from encountering one of these:

woodwasp.jpg

I just had a quick look at the pic, i didn't look through the whole thread though.

So, arachnid, pincers, no tail, so off the top of my head sort of thing to me it looks like a tailless whip scorpion. I don't know what kind of tailless whip scorpion, but that's where I would start looking.
I never actually saw one of them in Ireland. And I haven't been reading those text books since I was around 11, so I might not be remembering clearly.

Did yis come to that conclusion already?
Heres a link.
Don't click it if you are Pete.

http://www.mikescritters.com/clients/_photos/080629tailess whip scorpion.JPG

edit like, obviously that link is not the same species, but the main features seem similar.

i see, buffalo Ballet already knew this.
very good.

its not a harvestman, pincers are too small. Look at the legs, 8 plus pincers. Harvestman have eight with two that just look a bit like pincers but they are not, they are legs.

I thought it was a harvestman at first, but the pincers seem to be too big, almost 2x the length of the body. Harvestman have small legs out in front sometimes that look like pincers, but this guy clearly has 8 + 2 big pincers.

this is a better picture probably, you can see the features of amblypygids and tailless whips

SASILOGO.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back