Can you identify this strange insect? (1 Viewer)

Website
www.kidblunt.com
It was on the wallpaper outside my parents' room. Strange creature - does anybody know what it is? My sister nearly got sick when she saw it.

Insectoid2.jpg

insectoid.jpg

Insectoid3.jpg

the legs look adapted for landing badly, which makes me think its an underdeveloped version of a daddy long legs. i wouldn't fancy trying to run bout on those. feed it for a while. show it this thread.

No, it's not a daddy long legs, they have wings, and are actually not spiders (unless you mean the harvestman, which this isn't)

what I find weird is that it appears to have chelicera or mandibles, like a spider, as well as two antennae, which a spider doesn't have, yet it has 8 legs. So I'm wondering if one of the pairs of legs are "false" legs or wing, or if this is actually some kind of wood louse type thing

freaky

thing about the sort of freak weather summer we've been having is that more obscure species that don't normally thrive but exist in ireland populate much more then they normally would, due to the abundance of heat and food. In donegal we've been getting reports from people about being bitten by giant spiders from the outlying farming community. It looks like it might go on water actually with those light weight legs, was there flooding round yours this week?

this winged things we Irish call Daddy longlegs..aren't

hres a Daddly Long Legs
508A10.jpg

I think , going by the general shape and the suggested furriness, that it might actually be a cats nose and whiskers

i have provided a rough sketch to hep visualise my theory

catnose.jpg

Yeah, there was a 4-inch diameter spider in my house recently. "Let's get daddy to take it outside", says the girls.

wtf? no way!

I had to do it in the end, scary

haha! if i find a spider in the gaff i have to leave until someone else removes it. it's not fear but revulsion. i actually feel physically ill in their presence. if there's no one else there i usually kill it with a big book. no way i'm picking one up

this winged things we Irish call Daddy longlegs..aren't

roysh, hate to be a pedant and all, but the cranefly to which you're referring is actually the Irish/British daddy long legs, and is an insect. Then there's the daddy longlegs spider, which we non-Yanks would call a harvestman, and then there's the cellar spider, which Ozzies call a daddy longlegs, and is the only true spider of the three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back