• Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2

pad

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
i'm thinking of cycling the way of st james pilgrimage during the summer. maybe to co-incide with the pampalona running of the bulls. has anyone any tips or things on either of these?

i'm thinking of cycling the way of st james pilgrimage during the summer. maybe to co-incide with the pampalona running of the bulls. has anyone any tips or things on either of these?

Not really, no. But I have been to Santiago for the festival and it's a beautiful city. We didn't do the walk, we got a bus there. The only problem I would see is that if you go on the walk/cycle/pilgrimage you're running the risk of meeting, and having to talk to, religious types. Best avoided. I'd suggest doing it in a car, keep the windows rolled up, and if any of them try to stop you (to ask for directions or something like that) just put the boot down and keep driving.

Pretty sure my mam did it last year and is doing it again this year. I'll ask her for ya.

Edit: the walk not the bull run

i did the bull run a few years back. it's deadly. go for it.

you'll only need two or three days in pamplona. for the duration of san fermin it turns into a city wide 24 hour piss up, and chances are you'll be up and getting fucked up for most the time. it's best to get in there for a couple of days, go mad, and then get out of there.

accommodation is usually scarce. we slept rough in a park in the centre of town with lots of other people; pitching our tent at night, getting cleared by the cops in the morning, and then leaving our stuff into a big cloakroom/storage place n the centre that loads of people use. it was a bit dicey at times, with lots of people out of it, and pickpockets about the place.

and it's best to do the run during the week. at the weekend there's a greater influx of people, the run is a lot busier and more dangerous.

when is the festival in the city?

I think it's the end of July .... conincides with some religious holiday ... Festival Of St James maybe?

By the way, I have often thought the most awesome travel guide ever would be one that is a guide to the fiestas of Spain. You know, when each one is on .. what you can expect to happen etc. You could then plan whole trips based on this ...

I want to write it and get some publisher to pay me to do two years research necessary.

yeah i totally agree. i'm going to primavera and pampalona if this idea works out, but i'd love to find out if there are more on around that time. the spaniards seem mad for there festivals eh?
ey?

yeah i totally agree. i'm going to primavera and pampalona if this idea works out, but i'd love to find out if there are more on around that time. the spaniards seem mad for there festivals eh?
ey?

Primavera isn't a fiesta! I mean the locally organized things. Every town has one .. they involved drinking and eating a lot, parading around in silly costumes, fireworks, music, sometimes bulls, other weird shit. Deadly stuff altogether.

Ole!

i totally intend on drinking and eating a lot and prancing round in silly costumes with music and sometimes bulls and other weird shit at primavera. that makes it a fiesta in my mind!

i totally intend on drinking and eating a lot and prancing round in silly costumes with music and sometimes bulls and other weird shit at primavera. that makes it a fiesta in my mind!

I'm telling you now. There's no way they will let you into any of the venues if you have a bull with you.

I walked part of the camino a couple of years ago, from portugal into spain, amazing experience, met no religious types, made incredible friends, stayed in hostels along the way, all dirt cheap or free, want to go back and do the france leg of it sometime

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back