Broadband?? (5 Viewers)

I'm with UTV internet - €35 a month, 8 gig download limit. I was paying Eircom for line rental and UTV for phone calls but that's changing this month, I think. The phone calls are waaaaaaay cheaper than what I was being charged by those Eircom fuckers.

Catwoman said:
I'm with UTV internet - €35 a month, 8 gig download limit. I was paying Eircom for line rental and UTV for phone calls but that's changing this month, I think. The phone calls are waaaaaaay cheaper than what I was being charged by those Eircom fuckers.

i heard utv charge a fortune if you exceed the limit. true?

love the ferguson avatar.

I dunno, but it's mad cheap and you get all you evening and weekend calls to uk and ireland landlines for free. which is nice.

Lefty Frizzell said:

love the ferguson avatar.

so let me get this straight - you can surf the net whilst frapping yourself off, is this the unique selling point?

johnnystress said:
Ripwave™

ripwave_anim.gif

Lefty Frizzell said:
I've never exceeded it - you get an email if you're close to the limit, also you can opt for them to cap your limit.

Lefty Frizzell said:
love the ferguson avatar

Thanks! :) I used to have nightmares about her, but that's a different thread altogether.. ;)

kirstie said:
so let me get this straight - you can surf the net whilst frapping yourself off, is this the unique selling point?

I hereby declare "Frap" as..

word.png

I got a new line into the gaff there in about march so we could get broadband and it made me fuckin hate eircom like i've never hated any company before - even the telephone agents hated them. You have to get eircom to set up your line which means you have to pay in advance for line rental and it takes them about two weeks to get the thing set up, and in the meantime they tell you you're not eligible for broadband even though you are, it's just their computers take so long to get you setup and they get all your calls until you sign up for another crowd who then have to put in an application to get your line switched which it takes eircom two weeks to process and then it takes about two months to get your refund of the line rental you have left over.

In summary, i wish they'd burn from the cunt up.

PS IOL are deadly and are very nice to deal with.

EDIT: oh yeah, and if you have to ring eircom support to get anything from tech support to sales dept it takes a good half an hour (i never once waited less than 25 mins), and when ( or rather if, i've had them leave me waiting from 6:30 until 7 and then cut me off saying "sorry lines are closed) you get through, a lot of the staff are so bitter from working for such a shower of cunts, they get really narky straight off the bat and dont' listen and try to fob you off with complete bullshit answers - no matter what i could never stay on the phone more than 3 mins and never got a satisfactory answer.

Oh and they never gave me my account number when i signed up and when eventually they'd confirmed i could get broadband and i wanted it so i could sign up with someone else they refused to give it out over the phone, even though i was ringing from the same phone!!! They would only give it me by post and how long did that take? A month after i fuckin asked for it!!!!

right, eircom can go and shite

A mate tried to get Ripwave installed but was told she couldnt. RipWave needs line-of-sight of the antenna apparently. Shes in Cabra but the Smurfit factory chimney blocks the line of sight so no ripwave, their neighbour has it but they cant get it.

I reckon Stoneybatter is out as well. Damn

She went for East and says its way better than Eircom

Can we get a show of hands?

East? Smart? Utv?

Esat, 2meg, 16 gig download, e48 a month or something, deadly to deal with, have had literally no problems and this is the second time i used their broadband service (got it in cork aswell for the duration of the trial).

johnnystress said:
I reckon Stoneybatter is out as well. Damn
I just put through an order with Irish Broadband for Stoneybatter, and they're saying "no problem". I'm just waiting for an installation engineer to arrange a date.

I put it through as a "business" connection though.

THRILLHO said:
I just put through an order with Irish Broadband for Stoneybatter, and they're saying "no problem". I'm just waiting for an installation engineer to arrange a date.

I put it through as a "business" connection though.

Sound!

Is this the RipWave thing? Is there a discount or something for a business as opposed to resdientiel?

NTL in the news today...

The Times

09 June, 2005

Caller swears revenge on helpline

By Joanna Bale

CUSTOMERS who rang the helpline of one of Britain’s biggest cable television companies were stunned when they ran into a message featuring a tirade of four-letter words.

"Hello, you are through to NTL customer services," it said. "We don’t give a f*** about you, basically, and we are not going to handle any of your complaints. Just f*** off and leave us alone. Get a life."

What they were listening to was the voice of Ashley Gibbins, an irate customer who had discovered that it was possible to change the company’s recorded message asking customers to hold the line.

He was wreaking revenge for being put on hold for an hour. NTL complained to the police and Mr Gibbins, a taxi driver from Redcar, Cleveland, was arrested and taken to court accused of making a grossly offensive message. Teesside magistrates decided yesterday that the message, although offensive, did not reach the "grossly offensive" standard for prosecution under the Communications Act 2003 and acquitted him.

Mr Gibbins, 26, who was trying to order a broadband internet connection, stumbled across the facility to change NTL’s recorded message while pressing the "star" key on his telephone to access a number of options. John Nixon, his solicitor, said: "He pressed his star key twice and that gave him access to the command centre, so he was able to record a new message. NTL admitted that it was a serious security flaw in their system."

Vicky Turner, 39, from Billingham, Teesside, was one of the NTL customers who heard the message during the two hours before it was removed. "I was horrified and shocked," she said. "But I have to admit that the second time I heard it I had to laugh because I agreed with what the message said." She said that she rang the line to buy a Middlesbrough football match, which was on pay-to-view. "I was put on hold for 1½ hours, by which time the match had started, so there was no point buying it. But when I did get through to a human being I was cut off. I thought I would call to complain, but I got the message first."

Malcolm Padley, a spokesman for NTL, said: "We are as outraged as any customer who tried to contact the line. We absolutely apologise for any offence caused."

Mr Gibbins faced six months in jail or a £5,000 fine. He did not get broadband because the company removed him from its list of customers.

Alan Byfield, the chairman of the magistrates, said that he and his colleagues had consulted The Chambers Dictionary and decided that the words were offensive but not grossly offensive. A spokeswoman for the Crown Prosecution Service said: "The main question was whether the message was deemed to be offensive or grossly offensive."

They sound like cunts

Esat BT, had them for dial-up.
appalling customer service, had billing issues because I dared to move house but emails directly to the CEO resolved things.

went for the broadband free trial, and stayed with them. Still haven't been charged yet

should be €40 p.m.

went with smart telecom for phone calls but they were such cunts/inefficient/possessed of call centre mentality that we switched back to eircom.

I tried to go with smart actually but, despite giving them all my account details exactly as they were on my bill, they couldn't find my Esat account, and send me numerous letters to correct them. I figured if that's how bad they are getting me to sign up, they must be awful shite if you have problems so i stuck with Esat.

Phoned Smart recently to see when they'd enable it in Swords, decision won't be made until Eircon lose their case against them (hopefully)

In the words of the Smart phone dude "Esat would be your best bet in the meantime".

Downloaded a 78MB file in 6 minutes the other day. I :heart: my 2MB connection.

johnnystress said:
Is this the RipWave thing? Is there a discount or something for a business as opposed to resdientiel?
Naw, it's the "breeze" yoke. The business one doesn't seem to be as strict for line of sight. Either way, the nearest access point is in the Digital Hub and from the top of my building (the londis in Stoneybatter) you can see the Digital Hub - sweet.

The only discount for business is 2 months free service if you sign up before June 30th. It's a fiver more expensive than the residential, but it's twice as fast!

do you have to have an antenna for it or anything??
THRILLHO said:
Naw, it's the "breeze" yoke. The business one doesn't seem to be as strict for line of sight. Either way, the nearest access point is in the Digital Hub and from the top of my building (the londis in Stoneybatter) you can see the Digital Hub - sweet.

The only discount for business is 2 months free service if you sign up before June 30th. It's a fiver more expensive than the residential, but it's twice as fast!

Yeah, but there's a load of dishes and antennae up on the roof already for Sky Digital and stuff, so I'm guessing (hoping!) there's no problem with getting them installed in my place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back