Broadband?? (1 Viewer)

phil.b

Website
www.thepostroom.com
would anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction of the best company to sign up with, i.e. the cheapest and best value? all i know is that it couldnt be eircom. any help would be much appreciated...

ntl seem to have rolled out their cable internet to a lot more places in dublin now, and its the best deal i think

1gb per day download limit, an amount that would only upset the likes of pete (most of the other isp's offer 8gb per *month*

€29.99 but they do the whole first 3 months free stuff like everyone else, plus if you pay a little more you can get up to 1.4mb connection it seems, which is pretty cool

plus, if you were happy to get rid of your landline, you can stop paying the excessive eircom line rental as ntl connect through yer cablepoint

Eircom are slowly starting to charge for going over the cap though.

Smart Telecom's rollout isn't going to be as fast as they want, I don't think. Eircom got a judicial review of some order that Comreg made about local loop unbundling and I think this may slowdown the rollout of Smart Telecoms offer.

Smart Telecom's rollout isn't going to be as fast as they want, I don't think. Eircom got a judicial review of some order that Comreg made about local loop unbundling and I think this may slowdown the rollout of Smart Telecoms offer.

Yeah, it seems that Smart will only be able to upgrade the exchanges on Eircom's beck & call so it will seem choppy for the first little while. My local exchange is quoted a for a March/April upgrade which nicely coincides with the end of my UTV trial. If the LLU stuff goes ahead, internet will be dead cheap (and without the additional cost of line rental, proper order.)

watch out for esat,i scabbed a free trial from them,sent the modem back.got a credit card statement a few months later with 197.11 owed to "ESAT Fusion".charged me for installation and all!

they agreed to refund me,but that was in mid dec,and it's now mid feb and still no loot.
if you ask me,it's cause they're british.800 years and all that,they've colonised the phone lines.
i like the cut of UTV'S jib,but these broadband offers seem to get better every week.

Broadband - Which is the Best Option??

Question...

I have a basic phone line that I run my landline from and I want to put Broadband on it for my Computer

What is the best way to go?

Eircom - Free 3 month trial starter pack **or**
Irish Broadband microwave dish thing?

What is cheapest and best quality / value etc

Thanks

Re: Broadband - Which is the Best Option??

we got the phone line connected in our house before christmas so that eircom could test it to see if it could deliver broadband and they said it wasnt good enough. ntl arent doing broadband in harolds cross yet so we decided to try irish broadband for their breezelight package. when we asked the landlord if he would mind an aerial going up on the chimney he told us that he has eircom broadband in his house and he lives on the same terrace as us- theres only two houses in between us and the landlord. is there a good reason why on house would have suitable BB phonelines and another 3 doors down wouldnt? dont want to pay eircom for another reconnection to test it again...

i think thats a case of phoning up eircom and giving them an earful

see you if can get put through to someone in actual technical support, rarely happens, but when you do they can often sort things out when yer on the phone

Miss Piggy said:
we got the phone line connected in our house before christmas so that eircom could test it to see if it could deliver broadband and they said it wasnt good enough. ntl arent doing broadband in harolds cross yet so we decided to try irish broadband for their breezelight package. when we asked the landlord if he would mind an aerial going up on the chimney he told us that he has eircom broadband in his house and he lives on the same terrace as us- theres only two houses in between us and the landlord. is there a good reason why on house would have suitable BB phonelines and another 3 doors down wouldnt? dont want to pay eircom for another reconnection to test it again...

if your internal phone wiring is ropey that'll screw up the line check. also if you have multiple pieces of equipment connected (phones, answering machines, fax) will reduced the signal strngth on the line. Also if you have eircom phonewatch you're screwed too.

best bet is hook up one phone at the first phone point and disconnect all other wiring while they do the test.

You really have to keep bugging eircom to get your line tested. I did the same scenario before christmas, got line installed whose sole purpose is for broadband. asked them to test my line, assured it would be, rang again & again & again, same old story, the engineers are still processing it. was told i would be called back once test was successful, never was. in the end i checked the line test yoke online & it came back successful.

Eircom are surely one of the most ignorant fucking retarded phone compainies in the world.. Where I live we cant get broad band even though places with almost no internet users at all are getting it before our area. Even when we were on dial up by them half the time it wouldnt work and every time we rang up to complain they would blame our modem of the length of our phone cable from the computer.. After we moved to IOl we never had a problem with our internet and it works the whole time and our bill has gone down from 200 euro a month to 35 euro a month. Then one time our phone line connection was damaged and we had to wait three weeks for it to be fixed , which in this day and age is awful we may be fucking farmers but that dont mean our level of new thechnology is a fucking calculator , also one time the phoneline in the area was down for a few days and we were givin no reason why , and we were never told when it was going to be fixed. We called eircom from our mobiles and waited till we got through to human being and not a recoreded message , they said that they were givin no information on the matter at all and didnt know when it was to be fixed. So now any time a sales person rings looking for the billpayer and they are from eircom the are told to piss off and to never ring again. We also changed our phone bill to some other company to because once again we were being robbed by eircom.. so all in all..

EIRCOM SUCKS ARSE

Roisin said:
EIRCOM SUCKS ARSE

hmm I'm sensing a feeling of dissatifaaction with eircom here..

I want to get broadband but am completely lost as to which to go for.
There is a bewildering amount of companies offering hundreds of different packages.

I wonder if somone could post a poll here , just to get a feel for which is the best value for money?

I came across this slightly rude looking thing, anyone try it?It seems pretty good( and inexpensive?)
http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/ripwave.htm

Ripwave™

ripwave_anim.gif

Ripwave™ is the newest innovative product to hit the broadband market. It utilises wireless technology in order to provide a faster, "always-on, unlimited usage " Internet service. It does not use your phone line and therefore allows you and your family to make and receive phone calls even while you are surfing the Internet. Unlike DSL, it does not involve the hassle of connecting splitters or filters to your existing phone line. Simply connect the Ripwave™ modem directly to your PC using the provided connection and enjoy. Ripwave is a plug and play broadband access device.

I've been with NTL since christmas and i've had no probs.

2mg line for 35 a month. installation and first three months free.

However i recently recieved a second letter from them complaining that i'm in breach of their 'acceptable usage policy'.

To be honest i've been raping their 'acceptable usage policy' due to my 24/7 downloading antics.
I've been downloading vintage episodes of cannon and ball see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back