Broadband advice (2 Viewers)

hey
was trying to get wireless broad band at home with ntl, but just found out that they dont do my area (D7 / D9) so looking to get it from someone else.
we dont have a phone line either.
so, that narrows us down to clearwire, irish broadband or digiweb?

thanks

I've heard horror stories with Clearwire and IBB. Don't know about Digiweb to be honest. I assume you're both looking for a spot of surfing only? Gaming and P2P are usually shafted with these services.

ive had IBB for the last 2 or 3 years. it used to be really shit but its grand now. no monthly download or upload limit either so its quite suitable for file sharing

which package you got shaney? ripwave?

you really need an antenna for the IBB Breeze? dont like the sound of that.

yeah, Johnny, just need it for average web 'surfing' at home

which package you got shaney? ripwave?

you really need an antenna for the IBB Breeze? dont like the sound of that.

yeah, Johnny, just need it for average web 'surfing' at home

we have the breeze 3up/down package with the aerial on the roof and it costs €48 a month. at the time ntl werent in the area and the phone lines werent good enough for eircom or any of those so IBB was the only option. the landlord wasnt keen on the idea but agreed so long as he could supervise the installation. the lads then came to install it and he came home and saw them on the roof and went mental and started shouting racist abuse at them. they were going to go off and not bother finishing it but luckily my housemate came out and calmed the situation

I tried asking for this in maplins a while back and the guy looked at me like I was a drooling mental defective. He could not be convinced that I wasn't inventing the thing and that I tought a wireless router could pluck broadband out of the sky.

I have Metro Lite with Digiweb - very happy overall. its 1MBs and I pay a 5er a month to increase the download limit to 20G

they are pretty strict about hobling you if you go ove the limit but at least they dont charge you!

I have broadband over the phone line and I'm thinking of switching to the Metro broadband because I'm sick of paying a stupidly high line rental fee to Eircom. People I know say that Metro has got poor coverage, but I've not heard an account from anyone who has actually tried it so I'm not sure if its true or just some hearsay.

Have you had any problems with your connection? And do you know if its possible to test the strength of the signal before committing to a contract?

Been with Digiweb for over a year and am pretty happy with them. Started on the metro package which was grand, but had to upgrade to the metro plus because there was four of us giving it internet-loads. Never had a single problem on either package.

They're pretty sound about going over the traffic quota too. They told me that they generally give you leeway of about 4gb over your traffic quota before they enforce it. After that the service returns to normal after you've gone 4gb below the quota. Either way, I download like a bastard and in 1 1/2 years I've run into that issue once.

somewhat related...
i need to get a wireless usb adaptor for our pc in the gaff cause we need to move the wireless router into another room.
can anyone recommend a decent one?
our router is an eircom netopia.

I don't have the answer to your question unfortunately, but I do have one of my own...
If you have a wireless enabled laptop, can you 'borrow' wireless broadband from someone in the area if they haven't put a security password on it? Is all you need a wireless card to do that?
*is slow*

yo

the pc doesnt have a wireless enabled thingy on it so i have to buy one...

Hay guyz.
I recently moved to a small village and am finding it hard to get decent broadband. I had the o2 service with the wee little wireless modem but it was terrible. You couldn't even look at an image heavy site, never mind download anything.

So I've been looking into Ice Broadband. I prefer not dealing with these little known companies but they are one of the few that provide a service out my way (Adare, Co. Limerick). This is the one where they install a small boxy looking thing on your roof. They say their service provides:
3mb download speed and 1mb upload speed
Is this any good?

I'm a bit wary of them because they offer either a two year contract which is a bit too long in these uncertain times, or a one year one with €99 installation fee (pricey!). Anyone deal with them? Any advice?

Ok, how about this Digiweb crowd. Does anyone deal with them and live in the bog?

Edit: Just saw this
Been with Digiweb for over a year and am pretty happy with them. Started on the metro package which was grand, but had to upgrade to the metro plus because there was four of us giving it internet-loads. Never had a single problem on either package.

They're pretty sound about going over the traffic quota too. They told me that they generally give you leeway of about 4gb over your traffic quota before they enforce it. After that the service returns to normal after you've gone 4gb below the quota. Either way, I download like a bastard and in 1 1/2 years I've run into that issue once.

Sounds goodo

Digiweb is a good service Fro.I have it and I give it 2 thumbs up.
Great customer service to.Very helpful Dundalk people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back