Bringing stuff back from Amerikay (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Anyone been stung by customs before? I'm half-tempted to buy a geetar when I'm over the water but I dunno if it would be a hassle bringing it back. What 'bout iPods and all that shite?

Anyone been stung by customs before? I'm half-tempted to buy a geetar when I'm over the water but I dunno if it would be a hassle bringing it back. What 'bout iPods and all that shite?

Just get rid of any packaging. They've no way of proving you didn't enter the country with the iPod and if they ask tell them you brought it with you on your trip to the US for the long flight. I'd think the same applies with the guitar.

I didn't have any trouble with customs when I was bringing back my new camera last year, they didn't even think to ask why I would bring two cameras with me for a 5 day break.

Getting rid of the packaging is a must though.

very slim chance of getting caught. They have people there doing random checks but theres about 3 customs officers for however many people are passing through the airport (and the US flights are normally all in at the same time). You'd want to be pretty unlucky.

And I wouldn't even be bothered getting rid of packaging off iPods or whatever. Just don't get caught.

As regards something like a guitar. Just bring it back as if you'd brought it over. In other words, put it in a guitar case and carry it like you're just back off tour.

I was over the week before last and on the flight back people were all stuffing the overhead bins with their shopping, and were as obvious as can be coming back. I didn't see anyone stopped. I just heard that there can be a handful of customs folks there from time to time.

I actually find security and all that fairly lapse these days. I mean you wouldn't a gun on or anything like that, but it definitely seems a lot more relaxed than it was in the past, which is good.

Oh, and if you want to get a bottle of water on the plane, just tell the security people that you're a diabetic. They won't know what to do and will just wave you through. I saw it happen a couple of times.

i brought a guitar back and had it confiscated by customs and had to pay £75 (i think) of the old pounds in tax and another £75 as a fine for not declaring it. also had to listen to the smug prick of a customs officer getting his power kicks off my misfortune.

i wouldnt let that stop you though.... just saying

I brought back 2 grand worth of merch from America through customs two weeks ago. I just removed packaging just in case.

I brought a guitar over that someone bought online and had sent to my place in Boston. I took off all the tags and ditched the box. The only thing I had to do was check it in as 'oversize' luggage, which cost me 75 bucks.

I brought a new bass back from New York a couple of years ago. As a precaution I got some band stickers from a record shop and put them on the guitar and case to make it look older, no hassle except for the fact that it never made the flight that I was on and had to wait a few hours for them to deliver it to my house. It's a good thing I thing I like Wolf Parade though.

Bought a guitar in the states a year o two ago. Just carried it on as hand luggage and put it in the overhead compartment no problem.

Didnt get stung or have pay excess luggage costs.

Oui. Come to think of it I even had the tag attached to the zip on the soft case.

Fuck you government!!!

I've seen people carry crazy amounts of luggage onto the plane with them. I've seen dudes with guitar cases too. Maybe I'll get a guitar case and stuff it full of iTouchs. That'll fuckin learn 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back