BREXIT (17 Viewers)

Or else we just have the ability to be exposed to stupidity in a way that wasn't possible in the last decade or two?
Twenty years ago a moon landing conspiracy theorist probably knew a handful of like minded people. Now they have online communities which bolster them.

yeah - for sure. Like twitter is basically designed so that the stupidest fucking thing anyone says gets elevated to the front page every day. I look at things like sitting in a taxi*, hearing a rant about refugees that is also about the mainstream media that is also about big pharma, that is also about communism and all told has the finest thread of reality known to mankind holding it all up.

It's pretty much like walking into a room, and a toddler who is only new to talking and thinking is sitting there with a broken cup or something, and they are blaming the teddy bear and the cat and buzz lightyear for breaking it because these are the readily available visible objects.

It's not just 'righties' either. Its just a lot of fucking people looking for an easy narrative that makes their lifestyle ethical in a completely unethical lifestyle.

*it's a proverbial taxi

I was at a gathering at the weekend and was talking to people who are dealing with conspiracy theorists in their family. Made me realise I've only had 2nd or 3rd hand experience of this, or even just read that these people are "out there".
It sounded like an absolute nightmare to have some in your own family, stinking up family get-togethers and generally binging everyone down. I felt so sorry for the people dealing with this shit.

It sounded like an absolute nightmare to have some in your own family, stinking up family get-togethers and generally binging everyone down. I felt so sorry for the people dealing with this shit.

Yeah i've a good mate who has a family memeber who went full facebook wormhole for covid. They had to sneak to get vaccines because it was gonna be such a fucking drama if they found out.

We had an offer to go west with my parents in law next week. My wife is going, I'm not; not that he's a conspiracy theorist, but I couldn't spend that much time in my FIL's company. He's incredibly reactionary, and totally un-self-aware about how hypocritical his arguments can be.

kinda on the same topic

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That’s really interesting. I can actually see this with my mate where he’s becoming more isolated from people and basically pissing off everyone around him. Every time I meet him I just think “what fresh bullshit is he going to come out with now?” And if you disagree it’s because you’ve been duped by the commie press. It’s kind of ironic that he’s denouncing everyone else as being duped but at the same time getting all his information about the world from 2 sources, Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan, and doesn’t fact check or apply any critical thinking to what’s being said.

The thing is, it’s not all the time, and he can be reasonably sensible sometimes. But he comes out with some awful fucking clangers and it’s only in the last while that I realise where he’s getting it from.

I should also point out that being a contrarian prick who sits around playing video games all day and listening to right wing podcasts seems to have made him kind of depressed and miserable

Last edited:
@Cornu Ammonis perhaps you have something to say about explaining why people listen to Jordan Peterson in terms of the development of young mens' brains? To me it sounds like total horseshit - AIUI we don't understand enough about brains to make these kinds of assertions, and this whole "young men's brains are underdeveloped" narrative is just a way of dismissing The Other Side's arguments

I've not listened to much JP, and he comes across as smug and annoying, but I've really never heard him say anything particularly objectionable

@Cornu Ammonis AIUI we don't understand enough about brains to make these kinds of assertions, and this whole "young men's brains are underdeveloped" narrative is just a way of dismissing The Other Side's arguments

Young men are idiots in fairness though, we don't get less/fewer mature as we age like. Isn't 25 years old roughly the accepted 'brain is ready' thing?

Motivation guru Wes Watson will sort these young lads out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've not listened to much JP, and he comes across as smug and annoying, but I've really never heard him say anything particularly objectionable
I've seen him say some interesting stuff and some dumb stuff
But it's all cherry-picked on the internet

What I don't quite get is the vitriol around him. People lose their minds about him.
I guess when you're younger, you get angrier about such things.

I've seen him say some interesting stuff and some dumb stuff
But it's all cherry-picked on the internet

What I don't quite get is the vitriol around him. People lose their minds about him.
I guess when you're younger, you get angrier about such things.
I’ll be honest, I never really listen to him that much. I’m just getting a summarised version from a mate who’s really into him, quotes the most objectionable, questionable nonsense shit from him and passes it off as gospel without any fact checking or critical analysis applied to it. The Robert Kennedy Jr rant was a prime example of this. If you disagree then you’re a tool of the commie press. I just find the unwavering devotion to one person who breeds a distrust to conflicting sources of information really fucking sinister and smacks a bit too much of brain washing.
I’ve no doubt he say’s really interesting and intelligent things at times, but if you’ve had to spend extended periods of time around someone who’s a big fan of the guy you do start to see him in a new light

Users who are viewing this thread

• Bladez
  • M
  • Anthony
  • rettucs
  • Deadmanposting
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back