BREXIT (14 Viewers)

I heard some lady on the radio last night talking about that. She pointed to Greece to demonstrate this EU-WILL-BACK-DOWN thing is not realistic. Syriza came to power on a platform of rejecting an EU deal and forcing a better one but they ultimately ended up accepting a worse deal then the one they rejected because they had no great choice. I guess the UK is not so weak as Greece

There's been a lot of talk on English radio the last couple of days about how the EU always backs down at the last second, so even though they've clearly said they won't reopen negotiations, they totally will. I'm not sure what their precedent for saying this is.

In the run up to the vote the EU told Cameron that they wouldn't make further concessions to the UK but he convinced them that he needed a few things to get a remain over the line (LOL) so they went back and gave him concessions about things like a buffer period (of 7 years I think) to prevent Eastern Europeans moving the UK and claiming benefits, or something like that.

I wouldn't say that there should be no movement on the backstop, but allowing the British to unilaterally end it or put a time limit on it is a bad idea, if they were to agree break clauses or circumstances (i.e. if this, this and this happens then the backstop can end) then I don't think that's too much of a problem.

I was watching BBC earlier and someone on it was saying that it would not be the UK that creates a hard border in Ireland which is ridiculous. Also they were suggesting that the UK can leave without a deal which I suspect would create an immediate recession perhaps even globally. Threating a no deal is really the wrong approach to the EU I think.

Someone phones up then with a qeustion about medical care for his girlfriend who is from Spain and another "I don't understand the Irish border". They had two people on to answer questions but the one who I thought was more informed wasn't getting as much or even any time to answer the same qeustion. I don't even know how they can even air these kind of statements. I suppose they are not liable for what anyone outside the BBC says in an interview which may just be "opinion"

I don't even know how they can even air these kind of statements. I suppose they are not liable for what anyone outside the BBC says in an interview which may just be "opinion"

The UK doesn't really have the structures Ireland has in place to counter that kind of thing. The levesom enquiry had to refer to Irish journalistic practice because they didn't have anything of their own to refer to.

I can't follow it every day I would go mad. There was no vote on a posibile second referendum of course and maybe there could have been with Labour support. I think labour might have got allot of votes in the last election from people who didn't want brexit and were maybe hopeing they would try to stop it. Which gives us the hung parliament the DUP are set to renegotiate the supply and demand deal this summer since one billion only covers two years and of course the price must of go up then. It's difficult to know what the next two years will look like maybe they they will just give up there starring contest with the EU who's still gonna be there in post brexit situation or maybe they will get an extension and it will go on for a while more.

Came across this

Stated-Reasons-Fig-1.png

If the general agreement is that Ireland only voted in our referendums to teach our politicians a lesson that's not what happened in the UK which seems to be more about straight up racism, jingoisitic empire nostalgia racism, and what turned out to be economic lies.

"Remainstream Media"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rees Mogg this morning "Brexit won't negatively impact the Belfast Agreement" - the WHAT agreement? Sure it won't impact the non-existent 'Belfast' agreement... but the recent increase in sectarian violence in Northern Ireland suggests that the Good Friday agreement is already feeling the pinch. Smug, ignorant, upperclass jackass!

Rees Mogg this morning "Brexit won't negatively impact the Belfast Agreement" - the WHAT agreement? Sure it won't impact the non-existent 'Belfast' agreement... but the recent increase in sectarian violence in Northern Ireland suggests that the Good Friday agreement is already feeling the pinch. Smug, ignorant, upperclass jackass!

Has been a common British term for it in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

• shitepipe
  • M
  • pete
  • David Kronenbourg
  • G
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back