Breaking strings (1 Viewer)

This is good advice. Fundamental stuff lads

it's actually funny how little advice and opinion there is out there on guitar strings. Lately I've gone to shops and said "I ussually get these strings, but I think they sound like this and I want to know what will sound like something else" dudes in shops look at you like your insane, they have zero information or opinion and if anything will only give you a pitch for Elixirs (major cynicism here) to score a nice commsion (possibly)

it's actually funny how little advice and opinion there is out there on guitar strings. Lately I've gone to shops and said "I ussually get these strings, but I think they sound like this and I want to know what will sound like something else" dudes in shops look at you like your insane, they have zero information or opinion and if anything will only give you a pitch for Elixirs (major cynicism here) to score a nice commsion (possibly)

I've been advised that the Musician Inc lads know their stuff if you go into them.

I'm sure there's loads of stuff on the net too.....somewhere

Short article here..

http://www.articlesofnote.com/Article/Guitar-Strings-Care/18

There are several things guitar players can do to get extended life from their guitar strings. Taking the time to follow these simple steps will ensure that you get the most from your strings and reduce the cost associated with premature string failure.

*Do not over-stretch your strings during the tuning process.

*Be careful not to crimp the strings at the tuner peg when replacing the guitar strings.

*Periodically, check the condition of the guitar bridge and bridge saddle to avoid breaking a string during the replacement process.

*Monitor the condition of your guitar frets and replace any frets that develop excessive wear or sharp edges.

*Always clean your guitar strings when you finish playing the guitar.

It is impossible to say how long a new set of guitar strings should last. The life of guitar strings depend on many factors and variables. It is possible to extend the life of guitar strings through proper care and maintenance. Be sure to take the time to care for your guitar strings and you will get the longest life from each set.

When the time comes to replace the strings, choose quality replacements and change the strings carefully.

Yo, any guitar I've used in recent memory has had them 'vintage' fender tuning heads.
The one with the hole in the top.
Took me ages to get the hang of them, but they're super bloody cool.
No need to even stretch the strings, just a bit of play and a retune of two and they're rock solid.

I used to break strings like no tomorrow, all from the bridge. I use 10 gauge. Said it in here before bout 6 months ago and was told to use vasiline (couldnt be arsed quoting it from the first page) and haven't broke a string since.:)

< buffalo bill voice >You put the vaseline on the bridge? < /buffalo bill voice >

Thanks rayfuckface- ill give this a try

It's a washburn hb 30
hb_hb30.jpg

I'll definately try the vaseline- it's to do with the tension where the string curves around the bridge is it?

I foresee huge problems with the bigsby tremelo that's on my future guitar and string breakages

if you just scream at the time you usually rock, you'll release the unrequited masculine rage in way that doesn't cost you money

that's what I do - fewer breakages now

also going from 9s to 10s helped, though I still break strings occasionally

If i was like the sound effects guy in the Police Acadeny movies I could bluff my way to the end of the song at least

but I just cant do it

and my band have told me to stop trying

or else

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back