Breaking strings (3 Viewers)

really? I hate new strings though- they always take a while to settle down

Do most people put on a new set for a gig?

I've never known anyone to do that

nah I wouldn't either, same as you hate that new string clunk and find tunning a pain...

I try and change strings once every 3 months or so, if I think of it

10's only have a certain life span, if you replace the set this time, when the first one goes next time it's time to change the whole set again. (The others usually break pretty quickly after the first one.) If you don't like playing with a new set all you have to do is strech the strings. Put them on the guitar tune them up til they're almost right and then one by one grab the string in your fist with your thumb pushing the string away. Pull a little and then move up/down doing it on different parts of the string. Do it for all 6 strings and tune up again. You might even what to do it twice. The strings will usually settle down within one/two songs.

Good stuff
thanks sparse!

sean c. rockerfeller

there must be landfills consisting entirely of your discarded strings :)

really? I hate new strings though- they always take a while to settle down

Do most people put on a new set for a gig?

I've never known anyone to do that

seriously- isnt that really expensive too?

This is shocking news to me! How havent I heard ofthis before:D

Depending on the song Id be picking near the neck, near the bridge or fingerpicking
I use a (checks pockets) .73 pick

Most people I know do.I mean a pack of strings costs less than twp pints:)

Stick them on the night before,stretch them and play for a while and they sound fine.I use 10's and rarely break strings at gigs.Lats time I did was becuse I didnt change them before hand.

play 'em until they break. i never change bass strings until one breaks. this rarely happens because i am a gentle soul who plucks lovingly.

so....about once a year.

Most people I know do.I mean a pack of strings costs less than twp pints:)

Stick them on the night before,stretch them and play for a while and they sound fine.I use 10's and rarely break strings at gigs.Lats time I did was becuse I didnt change them before hand.

yeah I know, I'm a cheapskate- it just never occurred to me to replace them for a gig! I reckon I will from now on though

Broke the A playing Big River last night and made a hames of it trying to play the riff on one string

roll on SSIA guitar

i break stings a good bit. i change strings once every 2/3 months depending on how often I'm playing. a BIG help is wiping down and cleaning your strings after every time you play. makes a big different to the life of the strings i find. but my hands sweat a lot when i play. anthony doesn't sweat, uses heavy plecs and rarely breaks stings so i does depend on the individual playing style. and a spare guitar helps. r n'r mf 2 was the first time in 5 years that i haven't brought a spare guitar to a gig and i broke 2 strings.

dudley takes the piss with string breakages. i've seen do 3 on one song. it was a slow song too. and he was using butter instead of a plec.

yeah I know, I'm a cheapskate- it just never occurred to me to replace them for a gig! I reckon I will from now on though

Broke the A playing Big River last night and made a hames of it trying to play the riff on one string

roll on SSIA guitar

E,A or D go on me every week and a half to two weeks.I use the black dunlop plecs because I cant play lead with soft ones or riffs actually for that matter.

roll on SSIA guitar

Johnny have you played/tried on the Gretsch? Now don't get me wrong I'm all about the Gretsch's. The reason I say this is that unless you wear a suit while playing the Gretsch is going to be wearing you. They're very fancy guitars. Also those particular Gretsch's are 2.5inch's wide which is MASSIVE! I don't know what music you play but a guitar that big should be tried first.

I wanna get the Round up with the leather trim...nice.

Johnny have you played/tried on the Gretsch? Now don't get me wrong I'm all about the Gretsch's. The reason I say this is that unless you wear a suit while playing the Gretsch is going to be wearing you. They're very fancy guitars. Also those particular Gretsch's are 2.5inch's wide which is MASSIVE! I don't know what music you play but a guitar that big should be tried first.

I wanna get the Round up with the leather trim...nice.

Ive played a differnt model Gretsch, and yeah the neck is a lot wider than Im used to

I play Rockabilly and I've had my eye on one of these for ages

I will force myself to adapt!

my band

www.myspace.com/aceswild59

Oh i see, The Gretsch would suit you prefectly. (by the way I meant body thickness)

I know, its a fat guitar alright, I'm more concerned with the fat neck though

But I'll perservere

What are 13s like for bending while soloing? I get the impression they have as much give as suspension bridge cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back