Breaking strings (3 Viewers)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
Happens to me every fucking gig

what am I doing wrong?

The strings snap down towards the whatyoucallit(bridge?) by the pickups

Its usually the thin E that goes but last night it was the A

I use 10s- maybe a thicker guage is in order?

Im worried that thicker strings will make soloing really difficult though.

any advice?

10s are pretty much made for snapping, especially if you rock out and use any plec about .70mm or thicker.
the only way you'll fix is it by using much softer plecs or heavier strings.

i break strings a fuck load, but i can't change to a heavier guage or lighter plecs, just not comfortable playing with them.
just get a spare guitar for gigs, and trick a mate to fixing strings when you're playing live.

yeah probably what pantone is saying. what guitar is it? strats are pain in the gees for snapping strings at the bridge.
ive broken a sting once in the last 5 years. im so not playing hard enough.

i break strings a fuck load, but i can't change to a heavier guage or lighter plecs, just not comfortable playing with them.

I've never broken a string on stage, I use 10's, though I do use ligth plectrums. I think it's lots to do with yr playing style, I've realised lately I play very very lightly

the bridge could be wearing thru them a bit too much, could be a rough edge on it or something

could be- a mate suggests filing the slots with an acoustic wound sting to soften the edge- which is something I must try

Come SSIA time I'll be getting this so I can have my current one as a backup

I think I'll try a heavier gauge string too

I was wondering if there was some great technique of stringing a guitar that would eliminate snappages- but yeah I must be rocking too hard :)

Cheers lads

sounds silly but some people put vaseline where the strings meet the bridge to reduce friction.

isn't there something about putting graphite on it too, like take a pencil and a knife and whittle some of the "lead" into a dust and apply to where the string sits on the bridge... I could be totally wrong...

bring a second guitar with you to every gig - that way you'll never break a string and end up carrying around 2 guitars for no reason

works for me!

yeah probably what pantone is saying. what guitar is it? strats are pain in the gees for snapping strings at the bridge.

Who designed that plate at the back of the strat that ensures there's not a chance in hell of getting the string out without using a screwdriver and something long and thin to poke with?

I ended up taking it off and I had one of those wire bag fasteners attached to a machine head for poking purposes

haha- i never change them- only when I need tor replace a snapped one

I haven't broken a string in literally 10 years or something.
I think it depends on where on the string you pick.
And the angle.
And a whole bunch of other things.

haha for fuck sake.
There is your answer.

really? I hate new strings though- they always take a while to settle down

Do most people put on a new set for a gig?

I've never known anyone to do that

seriously- isnt that really expensive too?

This is shocking news to me! How havent I heard ofthis before:D

I think it depends on where on the string you pick.
And the angle.

Depending on the song Id be picking near the neck, near the bridge or fingerpicking
I use a (checks pockets) .73 pick

i was tuning my friends guitar before recording and i broke 4 strings. 4!!!!. he's quite inept with regards to anything technical and everything that isnt simply a melody. he doesnt stretch the strings when he replaces them, so theres me stretching his light gauge stringgs tuning up and i broke 1 after another. felt pretty stupid considering im playing 8 years. wup!!!!

really? I hate new strings though- they always take a while to settle down

Do most people put on a new set for a gig?

I've never known anyone to do that

seriously- isnt that really expensive too?

This is shocking news to me! How havent I heard ofthis before:D

Depending on the song Id be picking near the neck, near the bridge or fingerpicking
I use a (checks pockets) .73 pick

10's only have a certain life span, if you replace the set this time, when the first one goes next time it's time to change the whole set again. (The others usually break pretty quickly after the first one.) If you don't like playing with a new set all you have to do is strech the strings. Put them on the guitar tune them up til they're almost right and then one by one grab the string in your fist with your thumb pushing the string away. Pull a little and then move up/down doing it on different parts of the string. Do it for all 6 strings and tune up again. You might even what to do it twice. The strings will usually settle down within one/two songs.

10's only have a certain life span, if you replace the set this time, when the first one goes next time it's time to change the whole set again. (The others usually break pretty quickly after the first one.) If you don't like playing with a new set all you have to do is strech the strings. Put them on the guitar tune them up til they're almost right and then one by one grab the string in your fist with your thumb pushing the string away. Pull a little and then move up/down doing it on different parts of the string. Do it for all 6 strings and tune up again. You might even what to do it twice. The strings will usually settle down within one/two songs.

This is good advice. Fundamental stuff lads

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back