Boston Hotels? (1 Viewer)

It's been ages for me, too, and the rain DEFINITELY doesn't help. This morning was spent in tears because I just wonder sometimes why I live in an overpriced, filthy city where my rights are severely restricted and where I can't go outside without getting wet. And I do this on purpose? Really?

I am seriously considering moving back to Boston, even though I haven't lived there in 10 years. I just want to be in New England again. Plus, you can get a fucking penthouse in a doorman building on Beacon Hill for the same price as a fucking tiny hovel with a leaky roof and junkie neighbours in Dublin. Plus...plus....plus....UGH, I dunno, and tomorrow I could very easily wake up and feel like I never want to leave Dublin, ever.

The foddin laydee, she is a fickle one.

Definitely move closer to the city centre -- I'd never survive here if I couldn't walk everywhere, but I was like that in Boston, too. At least there, though, I cycled lots, but I wouldn't dare do it here.

Well, it's been 15 months total since I moved here and I would say about 80% of the time I wake up happy I'm here. Perhaps, it's still the honeymoon phase but lately it seems to be slipping in to the 70's. At first walking around knowing no one and no one knowing me was refreshing. When I left Boston, I couldn't go anywhere with running into someone who I knew and gossip ran rampant. It's sounding a bit like Cheers, but right now I just want to go some where...where someone knows my name. I am sure a quick visit back home and moving to the city centre will clear up the funk. In fairness, it has been a crappy year and it would have been no matter where I hung my hat.

ah yeah, no harm looking in back home.
I am in a weird position here, I dont really like it here, but it's not bad. NYC is a laugh usually. I like the seasons, summer == sunny winter == snowy, but there is an unbelievably high concentration of fucking retards about.

I bought a gaff with the other half now as well, which in fairness is lovely, and there is no way I could have done that in Ireland at the moment.

However, I miss Ireland quite a lot. Being able to cycle out into Wicklow, head off to Clare and do a bit of caving, down to Cork and do some diving. Ireland is a great place for that stuff.

The problems with Ireland are
The price of shit, particularly gaffs,
The fucking state of gaffs, glorified cardboard boxes most of them,
The wages,
The weather could try harder too, but it's grand.

The problem with the US are
Wankers. All over the place. In their big wanker mobiles. Voting for Bush. Being wankers.
Cops. See Wankers. The cops here are appallingly bad.
Concentration of people. There are just too many people round this area for me to get my head around.

ah yeah, no harm looking in back home.
I am in a weird position here, I dont really like it here, but it's not bad. NYC is a laugh usually. I like the seasons, summer == sunny winter == snowy, but there is an unbelievably high concentration of fucking retards about.

Now that this thread has been hijacked, I could never live in NYC. It is great for the odd weekend to visit friends but not to live. I don't know how you do it. I would go insane there. I can't even walk down Gafton Street without anxiety.

I always found a Boston friendlier albeit much smaller version of NYC...although more causation, not that is good nor bad, just fact. I grew up in a small town in NY (about 5 hours north of NYC near the finger lakes) so I am a cluchie at heart.

Apartments here make me sad but I find the wages much better. Maybe it's just my field but I am making about 15-20K more here than I was there. However, I have a sizable college debt that I'll be paying back until I die. Owning a house is something I will never do, don't really care to either. Well, unless it was some little remote place in the country here.

Now that this thread has been hijacked, I could never live in NYC. It is great for the odd weekend to visit friends but not to live. I don't know how you do it. I would go insane there. I can't even walk down Gafton Street without anxiety.

I always found a Boston friendlier albeit much smaller version of NYC...although more causation, not that is good nor bad, just fact. I grew up in a small town in NY (about 5 hours north of NYC near the finger lakes) so I am a cluchie at heart.

Apartments here make me sad but I find the wages much better. Maybe it's just my field but I am making about 15-20K more here than I was there. However, I have a sizable college debt that I'll be paying back until I die. Owning a house is something I will never do, don't really care to either. Well, unless it was some little remote place in the country here.

thumped threads are intended to be hijacked...
Like, NYC is alright, I deal with it. I dont actually live in the city, I bought a gaff just over the Hudson in the Jerz. I live in a really quiet spot overlooking the Hudson near the GWB. I was in Boston for a short while, but I didnt get to see much more than the inside of Harvard and that Dana Farber Cancer place. But, it looked alright. Fucking Baltic up there though compared with here.

Where I really liked though was Philadelphia, there was a good buzz about that place. I have also heard that Madison Wisconsin is dead on too.

I only bought a gaff because I was tired of fucking moving all the time whenever a landlord got his balls out of joint.
It might have been a very bad idea the way the US economy and price of houses seems to be going.
Whatever... I can just declare myself bankrupt and fuck off back to ireland. Yay.

Where I really liked though was Philadelphia, there was a good buzz about that place. I have also heard that Madison Wisconsin is dead on too.

Yeah, Philly is sound despite the grit and grime. Madison would be extremely cold though in the winter. Like artic. I don’t like winter sports enough to move anywhere that cold. Minneapolis, MN nearly killed me.

Bush made it harder to go bankrupt now. I wonder, if I stayed here could I ignore my student loans forever. ;)

the chinatown buses are even cheaper again (Lucky Star buses). About 12 dollars, and they're clean, new buses. They're deadly. Affectionately known as the SARS Express.

But they also breakdown all the time. Spend the extra bit. Trust me. You'll be sitting on the edge of the road in Connecticut for hours why they dispatch another one. It has happened to me and everyone I know at least once. Not fun.

But they also breakdown all the time. Spend the extra bit. Trust me. You'll be sitting on the edge of the road in Connecticut for hours why they dispatch another one. It has happened to me and everyone I know at least once. Not fun.

i would be seconding Hayworth on that one, some of the scote phd'ers I work with will use them to get up to Baston, but they dont really care if they are late.
If you are on a holiday you want to be fairly sure you will get there and not prick around too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back