Bored in Work (10000000) 128 (5 Viewers)

Re: today

Super Dexta said:
heh! look at the state of me...
I have *no* idea what I'm talking about
venice is not like that any more, it sounds more like amsterdam to me. and you do know what you're talking about, you silly billy. this Bakhtin sounds pretty interesting, never heard of him before. what should i read?

hag said:
venice is not like that any more, it sounds more like amsterdam to me. and you do know what you're talking about, you silly billy. this Bakhtin sounds pretty interesting, never heard of him before. what should i read?
it's a fictional venice. from the 1800s. re: bakhtin, that book that i posted a picture of up there is quite good.

edit: you should read some jeanette winterson if you haven't already. 'the passion' is brillent.

Super Dexta said:
it's a fictional venice. from the 1800s. re: bakhtin, that book that i posted a picture of up there is quite good.

edit: you should read some jeanette winterson if you haven't already. 'the passion' is brillent.
ok, you wanna give me a loan of them two? just started 'everything is illuminated'... you read that?

Re: Bored in Work 128

Death Star:
_40580137_mimas_nasa_203.jpg

Mimas, one of Saturn's moons:
death_star.jpg

hag said:
ok, you wanna give me a loan of them two? just started 'everything is illuminated'... you read that?
i haven't got my own copy of the bakhtin book (ask billy?) but i'll give you a lend of the passion no problem. i've never read any of her other stuff properly.. tried 'oranges are not the only fruit' and 'gut symmetries' when i was younger but i didn't really get them then. will definitely give them a go again soon though.

Bag'o'cans said:
I've done my stint of college in Dublin, wrong choice though, Want to do architecture in UCD though that = 5 years of poverty in Dublin, doesn't sound to appealing.
Dude, go on the scratcher for a year and a half and make yourself eligible for all kinds of allowances and grants.

Bag'o'cans said:
Anyone gone back to college in their mid twenties? (and rented) I'd love to but i don't think it's gonna happen moneywise, oh the wrong choices.
I think mid-twenties is a much better time to start college. You're more sure of who you are, and what your interests are, and you're more likely to be really into it. It's too bad you can't do the one-class-at-a-time thing to work toward a degree like you can in the US.

Have you thought about trying out a few Adult Ed classes to see if you like it? They're usually really good, and everyone I know who teaches them really loves it because the students are enthusiastic and ask good questions.

jane said:
It's too bad you can't do the one-class-at-a-time thing to work toward a degree like you can in the US.

I think DCU does a distance learning modular degree programme for grown-ups.

Super Dexta said:
i haven't got my own copy of the bakhtin book (ask billy?) but i'll give you a lend of the passion no problem. i've never read any of her other stuff properly.. tried 'oranges are not the only fruit' and 'gut symmetries' when i was younger but i didn't really get them then. will definitely give them a go again soon though.
cool, thanks. have you ever read "the story of the eye" by g. bataille? you should read that, it's kinda crazy. i also need to read the castle by kafka - psychotic no.2 recommended it to me when i went nuts after reading the unbearable lightness... i don't suppose you have a copy of the castle? and why is it that when i'm in a bookshop, i can never remember what i'm supposed to read next? i hate books.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I think DCU does a distance learning modular degree programme for grown-ups.
Actually, UCD does a modular degree as well. I was thinking more in terms of the flexibility of the US universities, where you can essentially build your own degree out of things that interest you. Obviously, you have to fulfil certain criteria, but it's really good for older students. You're in classes with 'traditional-aged' students as well because they're often on the same course, so you end up participating a bit more in the academic community. Or at least having the opportunities to do so if you want to.

I think many students take adult ed classes to see if they like the subject, and then register for either a modular degree or a full-time degree course.

I know a lot of people who consider going back later in their lives are a bit concerned about being out of touch with learning, but I can say that most people love teaching mature students.

jane said:
Actually, UCD does a modular degree as well. I was thinking more in terms of the flexibility of the US universities, where you can essentially build your own degree out of things that interest you.

Really? i didn't know that. What's the degree called? Can you mix arts and science like leonardo did (both the painter and the ninja turtle and the brazilian footballer)?

I did politics and economics. I would have liked to have done a bit (but only a bit) of English lit too. I'm doing a Masters at the mo. But that's a whole other story.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Really? i didn't know that. What's the degree called? Can you mix arts and science like leonardo did (both the painter and the ninja turtle and the brazilian footballer)?

I did politics and economics. I would have liked to have done a bit (but only a bit) of English lit too. I'm doing a Masters at the mo. But that's a whole other story.
See, that's the thing: you can't mix up arts and science in most courses here. I think it's just a modular arts degree
http://www.ucd.ie/arts/introbam.htm, but it's supposed to be really good. My only problem with it is, while it's good in terms of time flexibility, you don't have the same options for focusing on what interests you as you do in a full-time degree course.

There's a lot to be said for the Liberal Arts and Sciences education in the US. Even as an undergrad, I got to take enough science to learn for myself that I wasn't all that into it. We had to take maths, science (both lab and non-lab), a foreign language, history, English, mechanics of writing, and all sorts of stuff that really helps a person learn how to learn on their own. You could be really flexible with your courseload, when you took your classes, etc. We had a lot of control over what we took and when we took it. we were also part of a consortium of colleges, so that if our college didn't offer something we wanted, we could take it -- for free -- at another college that was a member. It totally ruled. It meant that your degree was your degree, and suited the type of person you were, rather than just being a really strict set of criteria you had to fit yourself into. You could take stuff that was for your degree course, and then take things that just plain interested you, no matter what department they were in.

You could also audit classes, which meant you could sit in on them, and be part of it, but not take exams.

*sniff* I miss being an undergrad....*sniff*

aoifed said:
Dude, go on the scratcher for a year and a half and make yourself eligible for all kinds of allowances and grants.
Ya, I would, but then again i'm thinking i could also just work/save like hell as i'm doing now, unless of course i could figure out how to get the dole for 2 years while i'm away, mmmmmm.

jane said:
I think mid-twenties is a much better time to start college. You're more sure of who you are, and what your interests are, and you're more likely to be really into it. It's too bad you can't do the one-class-at-a-time thing to work toward a degree like you can in the US.

Have you thought about trying out a few Adult Ed classes to see if you like it? They're usually really good, and everyone I know who teaches them really loves it because the students are enthusiastic and ask good questions.
True, i know now what i want plus i can get in the backdoor with less points, hehe suckers, unfortunately it's just the one course i want and there's no real night class alternatives.
Its the idea of spending my late twenties/early thirties eating rice, lentils and carrots again for 4/5 years that really puts me off.

jane said:
See, that's the thing: you can't mix up arts and science in most courses here. I think it's just a modular arts degree
http://www.ucd.ie/arts/introbam.htm, but it's supposed to be really good. My only problem with it is, while it's good in terms of time flexibility, you don't have the same options for focusing on what interests you as you do in a full-time degree course.
Well, the good news (from UCD, at least) is that it's heading toward a US-style modularisation, meaning that there will be loads more flexibility in picking courses. It may take a few years, but I believe the general idea is to eventually allow (if not actually encourage) student to take classes not directly related to their degree subject.

jane said:
There's a lot to be said for the Liberal Arts and Sciences education in the US. Even as an undergrad, I got to take enough science to learn for myself that I wasn't all that into it. We had to take maths, science (both lab and non-lab), a foreign language, history, English, mechanics of writing, and all sorts of stuff that really helps a person learn how to learn on their own. You could be really flexible with your courseload, when you took your classes, etc. We had a lot of control over what we took and when we took it. we were also part of a consortium of colleges, so that if our college didn't offer something we wanted, we could take it -- for free -- at another college that was a member. It totally ruled. It meant that your degree was your degree, and suited the type of person you were, rather than just being a really strict set of criteria you had to fit yourself into. You could take stuff that was for your degree course, and then take things that just plain interested you, no matter what department they were in.

You could also audit classes, which meant you could sit in on them, and be part of it, but not take exams.
Yeah, this rocked. Even though I got my two undergrad degrees in maths and physics, I took courses in linguistics, economics, literature, history, Russian, Latin, philosophy, electrical engineering and computer science.

jane said:
*sniff* I miss being an undergrad....*sniff*
Me, too. So much so that I'm considering going back to college at some point in the future. Maybe to do some postgraduate study in maths, but more likely linguistics, music technology or even English.

Paul

photon said:
Me, too. So much so that I'm considering going back to college at some point in the future. Maybe to do some postgraduate study in maths, but more likely linguistics, music technology or even English.

Paul
Paul I get the sneaky feeling you already know everything.

Also, another thing, Darknothing's threads are always really long.... I mean...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back