Bored in Work (10000000) 128 (7 Viewers)

Re: today

aoifed said:
AAAAAAAAAAarghgh. Young people should never have to choose their life path like that. I think all teenagers should be entitled to one year's dole to fuck around for a year and do nothing. Maybe go for a little travel. Too much pressha.
And i was just talking to my mum a few weeks ago about how teenagers should be made work in shops/restaurants/factories for two years to sort out the labour shortage/jobs no-one wants to do. No good layabouts.

Wavioli said:
yeh she's great whatever. You two really make me wanna barf sometimes.:p
huh? props where props are due wav. how do we make you sick, with our laughter? sheeeesh! ;)

Re: Bored in Work 128

perrybible.jpg

hag said:
if i had my time over again, i'd do english, drama and music. i did engineering only because i was ok at maths and thought physics was "interesting". chosing a life-path at the age of 17 is all wrong. my children are going to do at least 2 years of fucking about in between school and college with my blessing.
this is sooooo true mr hag.
they could volunteer to work in a hospital or helping the elderly or with homeless or something show people a little about life...

plug said:
yeah, I'm only half way thru series one, so there's a shitload more to get through. "who wants cake" is awesome. how delightfully offensive!

this avatar thing is out of control.. I'm gonna have to buckle under the peer pressure and change mine too, like the rest of youze!!!
i just changed it cos of the abuse. *sob*

hag said:
if i had my time over again, i'd do english, drama and music. i did engineering only because i was ok at maths and thought physics was "interesting". chosing a life-path at the age of 17 is all wrong. my children are going to do at least 2 years of fucking about in between school and college with my blessing.
Y'know... if I were to go back to college, I'd study Physics and possibly engineering.
Arts is very political. It's not something I'd like to be involved with at PhD. level and beyond.
Actually, the sciences are very political too. But they seem more clear cut.
And anyway, they study Gamma Rays in Physics. Which is much, much cooler than studying Shakespeare.

Gong Farmer said:
And anyway, they study Gamma Rays in Physics. Which is much, much cooler than studying Shakespeare.
sez you! i'm currently finishing up an essay on how 'the passion' by jeanette winterson is redolent of bakhtinian ideas of the carnivalesque... that's cool, roysh?

Super Dexta said:
sez you! i'm currently finishing up an essay on how 'the passion' by jeanette winterson is redolent of bakhtinian ideas of the carnivalesque... that's cool, roysh?
Ah! Bakhtin.

You know that I managed to pass four subjects in both English and Anthropology by just studying Bakhtin. He has catch-all theories for academia. Basically if in doubt, use Bakhtin.

Bag'o'cans said:
Anyone gone back to college in their mid twenties? (and rented) I'd love to but i don't think it's gonna happen moneywise, oh the wrong choices.
I know loads of people who did. Maynooth is the best college for mature students. It's full of people who didn't think they'd ever get to college and are just happy to be there.

You'll be grand for rent and all that. Students live off fuck-all.

Gong Farmer said:
Ah! Bakhtin.

You know that I managed to pass four subjects in both English and Anthropology by just studying Bakhtin. He has catch-all theories for academia. Basically if in doubt, use Bakhtin.
heh! look at the state of me...
Other examples of what can be read as a carnivalesque element in the text include cross-dressing (“There are women of every kind and not all of them are women” (58)) and the freedom with which physical affection is given and received (“Now and again, one will dangle by the knees and snatch a kiss from whomever is standing below” (59)). Cross-dressing is a theme which recurs throughout this chapter, and which evokes the carnivalesque concept of inversion of hierarchy, suggesting a place where gender identity is fluid, and normal gender roles and conventions can be disregarded. The idea of free physical affection is also redolent of Bakhtinian ideas of defying convention, which “offered a completely different, nonofficial, extraecclesiastical and extrapolitical aspect of the world, of man, and of human relations” (Bakhtin: 6). ‘Free love’, as we might call it, is a subversive act, and the placing of it in the context of this extract illustrates how Venice as a city defies convention and order.
I have *no* idea what I'm talking about

Hot Hot Heat? Shit Shit Shite.

Why was I listening to them? Friend lent me the CD.

That's all I wanted to share

Super Dexta said:
heh! look at the state of me...
I have *no* idea what I'm talking about
Are you writing about Lily Savage?

Looks fine to me. If I were your tutor, I'd give you an apple.

Gong Farmer said:
I know loads of people who did. Maynooth is the best college for mature students. It's full of people who didn't think they'd ever get to college and are just happy to be there.

You'll be grand for rent and all that. Students live off fuck-all.
I've done my stint of college in Dublin, wrong choice though, Want to do architecture in UCD though that = 5 years of poverty in Dublin, doesn't sound to appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back