boards.ie is so flipping crap (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you think that a moderator giving out a phone number and locking a thread without a single word of encouragement or sympathy is being 'helpful' then maybe you should get yourself seen to.

I'd like to point out Gordon, that you should not get to decide what is "helpful" to another person in this manner. And I can most assure you they would not find this helpful at all.

I'd like to point out Gordon, that you should not get to decide what is "helpful" to another person in this manner. And I can most assure you they would not find this helpful at all.

Here are some of the mods. Their take no shit attitude really makes them heroes imho.

Photo20.jpg

bouncer.jpg

n579215953_775876_2203.jpg

1jaoqk2m244rsex5o9uf.jpg

attachment.php

burger.jpg

They all have fat heads.

They all look like those bouncers who won't let you in because you've had too much to drink "In their opinion"(i.e. you're completely sober).

Are you actually bothering your hole reading anything we write? Mayhap if you spent some time reading our posts before formulating your brainless automatic responses you might take a few things on board. It's like talking to the fucking wall. No-one suggested staying up all night conversing with a troubled poster. And if you think that a moderator giving out a phone number and locking a thread without a single word of encouragement or sympathy is being 'helpful' then maybe you should get yourself seen to.

Diddles, what's your personal agenda on this one? You never take anything seriously ever (except eurovision and kids movies and that's with good cause)

Quite right, refer them to trained individuals when they start talking about suicide.

We have had many situations on PI in the past where the PI mods talked through suicide OPs and it was very harrowing all round. One mod had to drink half a bottle of brandy after the ordeal he was so shaken up. I think it was then that the decision was made to never let a suicide thread continue, it's best to leave someone's life up to trained professionals.
that was not about referring someone to trained professionals, in that person's interest, it was about washing your hands of the situation in the most effective way possible. in that situation, it's possible that thaedydal's actions contributed to a suicide - but we'll never know, obviously.

if you are concerned about this being an issue, that it's happened often enough to have a formalised policy for dealing with those threads, it begs the question - have you approached the samaritans to even get one of their people to create an account to respond to those threads?

plus, the samaritans are not professionals. they're volunteers. why not ask them if the mods in that forum can attend the training the samaritans give their volunteers? your claiming ignorance of how to deal with the situation properly being the reason for locking the thread ignores the obvious conclusion that you don't know if locking the thread is the right course of action.

Gordon, do you honestly believing "trolling", which you should be able prevent anyway would be more damaging to a suicidal person than abruptly cutting them off completely? Are you really that unable to empathise? If so, why are you an admin on a major board?

We are telling you now, as well balanced people, that it is not true, and your ruling and Thaed's sociopathy have likely resulted in someone dying.

This is not something to post cute smilies over.

we don't want some idiot troll suggesting to drink bleach to cure the spots on your tummy in the middle of the night/day.

anyone that doesn't know of the healing properties of bleach doesn't deserve to be a mod.

we don't want some idiot troll suggesting to drink bleach to cure the spots on your tummy in the middle of the night/day.

Interesting how it seems that it's only boards that has problems like this.

plus, the samaritans are not professionals. they're volunteers. why not ask them if the mods in that forum can attend the training the samaritans give their volunteers? your claiming ignorance of how to deal with the situation properly being the reason for locking the thread ignores the obvious conclusion that you don't know if locking the thread is the right course of action.

This is deviating from the topic a bit, but following on from your really good idea:

I know Samaritans are not exactly overstaffed with volunteers, ever, but I wonder if they've considered having people volunteer to be on call for internet-related emergencies, since probably they're very common.

Mods on major boards, or people who use them can fire off a mail/PM to a samaritans person and they can kind of be on call to help with these kinds of situations. I'm sure there's a way to put a kind of panic button widget on mods' accounts or something. Or people who are regulars on particular boards can volunteer to do some kind of online support in association with Samaritans.

I know there would be an issue of where people were in the world, and the fact that the Internet can be accessed from anywhere but that Samaritans are regional, but I wonder if they've ever thought about doing that as a global thing, or if indeed they've just got enough on their hands with the phone lines.

But back on topic, it's a good idea to point out that we have a depression thread on our lifestyle forum, with the Aware number in the title. It was also started as a way of providing words of encouragement to anyone who was/is suffering from depression, by someone who'd been through it herself.

And definitely people come on looking to find information, offer their own experiences, and it's never degenerated into anything nasty. No one has claimed to be a professional, and no one would expect a mod to be responsible if someone posted on it in a really desperate situation. More likely the person would be encouraged to contact a professional and if he/she weren't ready it's likely that whoever was online would try to make them feel okay enough to do that.

And that's on THUMPED where we are pricks, but most everyone knows where to draw the line when it comes to serious shit.

It's not because we're better than people who post elsewhere, it's probably more likely related to the fact that mods are not acting like prison wardens, and therefore the genpop of posters can post wherever we want, about whatever we want, without fear of being accused of going off-topic when trying to encourage a seriously depressed person to feel even a teeny tiny reason for living.

We can also be 100% confident that people who've never even posted on the thread, on Thumped, or anything, have found something useful in the depression thread, whether it was for themselves or others. It's also a sort of safe space for posters to say that they've had it, too, which is *extremely* comforting for anyone who thinks he or she is alone. Finding out that someone you know to be shit-cool and really awesome has not had perfect mental health can just be really reassuring.

On boards, I would probably be banned for going off-topic. On Thumped I just get made fun of for writing a long post.

ballbag cunt bollix fuck shit wank cunt badger cunt fucky fuck sheeeeet, fuckcunt cuntfuck balbagged corpse cunt wankface.

horse-beach.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back