BIG Galway News!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Excellent stuff! Though I'm on the other side of the world and wont be back until early 05', it's great to know I'll have something of note to return to. I pray it all goes well for you. Great work with Strange Brew over the years as well (I was yr man in the Weezer shirt who kept requesting Weezer, displaying an as yet unmatched lack of imagination).

Again, great news.

:D

This does indeed sound like great news for Galway. The past has seen some great gigs in the Roisin - GYBE a few years back being particularly memorable. One request though for the new proprietors - clean the fucking beer taps. Haven't drank in there in well over a year because every time we did we all had the mankiest stomachs on us from the Guinness...

.|..| .|..| :D .|..| .|..| :) .|..| .|..| :D .|..| .|..| :p .|..| .|..| :D .|..| .|..| :) .|..| .|..|

congratulations gugai. thats fuckin brilliant.

gugai said:
Well, i think it's pretty big anyway. So here it is. Last Saturday, myself and three legitimate business partners bought the Roisin Dubh in Galway. We'll be taking over on June 17th and fully intend to restore it, and by extension, Galway to its former glory. You're all invited for pints over the summer. More details soon..... .|..|
Fair play to you Gugai............

that is a very big move and I wish you success with it.
(is John Mannion gone Now ?)

when do you take over ?

Certain things are going to remain the same for a while, and Pyramid are going to still play there. Otherwise, I won't be able to put on the real gigs, because real music 7 nights won't work there just yet. It will eventually, but not just yet.

We're taking over on June 17th, and there's some local fundraiser on that night. I have to honour the bookings...John mannion will be out of there on the 16th.

We all know the damage done by cover bands to galway, but the real problem is that most of the venues down here put them on and nothing else.... This deal with the Roisin means that i can put on the shows that i want to, but it also means that i have to keep a couple of those cover bands there. And the Trad and Folk that the Roisin used to be famous for, (including Planxty's Andy Irvine in August).

Galway (or cork or Limerick for that matter) wouldn't have the population to support an indie only venue. Plenty of room to do all styles of music once they're of a certain quality level, a good balance of 'something for everyone' is the key to success with a venture like yours I feel

i was just in galway for the first time this weekend
what a lame fuckin town
what's the deal with all these toolbag hippies with fuckin bongos and acoustic guitars?
i doubt there's enough petrol in the world to burn that shit to fuckin ash
your scobes are polite and hardly anyone wears shoes. yawn.
lame town. limerick fuckin rules. shout out to the 50 year old bro in the grateful dead tshirt doin mad lines on saturdy night - you are impetous enough for us all to kill ourselves before we get old. yawnsome.

andrew
ps - i don't mean this as a slight against the people that put on the shit for us - i got no beef there. the town itself was retarded as fuck

It's not that bad but there are a hell of a lot of hippies. Actually, I am finding that all over the country. Hippies everywhere. They are like Cockroaches. Dirty little hippies infecting that free love dread lock beliefs. Soy burger eating, herbal cigarette smoking, Berkenstock wearing, unshaven... Fleas...

I am surprised Phish aren't enormous over here.

yeah, Galway is hippie central for sure. remember folks, the only good hippie is a dead hippie!

Also, am I the only one who would be overjoyed to see Macnas march one by one off the cliffs of Moher? I've yet to meet anyone who was entertained by that inane bunch of hippy charlatans

macnas! there was a magazine about macnas in the house we were staying in - i saw it yesterday morning and it all just clicked with me:
"this is why i hate galway"
also: crack head jesus prick "my name is daniel coyle, i'm a travelling poet, can i read you one of my poems?"

andrew
ps - good luck with the venue! be sure and have a no hippies policy.

As a Limerick man living in Galway, I think you're giving the town a hard time. in fairness, you should ahve more sense than to hit the streets of this town on a saturday night....

the reason there are so many shoeless soy drinking Big Bag of Sticks fans in galway at the moment is that it is almost mating time for the hippies, they are starting their rituals, and when females are attracted to the males with the largest and most a-rhythmical bongos, they mate and when summer ends they travel around the world to their homes to lay their eggs. A small miracle...Unfortunately, many of them never make it to their homes, ending up working part time in any number of cafes or becoming kitchen porters.

Thanks Jim, I agree with you on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back