Best way to lose a beer belly... (2 Viewers)

you said you think metabolism is a myth and then gave a list of things that don't make sense unless there's some process to explain them...which would be variable metabolism from person to person
But what is "metabolism"? It's just a catch-all word meaning that some people can eat more than others without getting fat. It's not a process, it's just an idea

Say yourself and myself sit down in a room together and eat 3 big mac meals and only 3 big mac meals a day for a month. If, at the end of it, you're fatter than me it means either you're digesting your food better than I am and getting more energy out of it, or else I'm somehow burning more energy than you by just sitting there. If I am, and my body temperature is no higher than yours (which it probably isn't), then where is that energy going?

That's what kinda puzzles me about the idea of metabolism - where's the energy going?

But what is "metabolism"? It's just a catch-all word meaning that some people can eat more than others without getting fat. It's not a process, it's just an idea

Say yourself and myself sit down in a room together and eat 3 big mac meals and only 3 big mac meals a day for a month. If, at the end of it, you're fatter than me it means either you're digesting your food better than I am and getting more energy out of it, or else I'm somehow burning more energy than you by just sitting there. If I am, and my body temperature is no higher than yours (which it probably isn't), then where is that energy going?

That's what kinda puzzles me about the idea of metabolism - where's the energy going?

Could it have something to do with people's natural demeanor? I have friends, anyone remember John from Blackfort Gallery? that guy was a total ball of energy, his brain was always going a mile a minute, I have a few friends like that... they have to be burning more energy being that manic all the time, and then there's other people who seem capable of just switching off completely some times...

Anyway I agree it is weird.

er, i'm pretty sure it's a real biological process. i'm not a biologist so i can't really help with the interpretation...

here we go, good old wiki

Metabolism is the set of chemical reactions that occur in living organisms in order to maintain life. These processes allow organisms to grow and reproduce, maintain their structures, and respond to their environments. Metabolism is usually divided into two categories. Catabolism breaks down organic matter, for example to harvest energy in cellular respiration. Anabolism, on the other hand, uses energy to construct components of cells such as proteins and nucleic acids.
The chemical reactions of metabolism are organized into metabolic pathways, in which one chemical is transformed into another by a sequence of enzymes. Enzymes are crucial to metabolism because they allow organisms to drive desirable but thermodynamically unfavorable reactions by coupling them to favorable ones, and because they act as catalysts to allow these reactions to proceed quickly and efficiently. Enzymes also allow the regulation of metabolic pathways in response to changes in the cell's environment or signals from other cells.
The metabolism of an organism determines which substances it will find nutritious and which it will find poisonous. For example, some prokaryotes use hydrogen sulfide as a nutrient, yet this gas is poisonous to animals.[1] The speed of metabolism, the metabolic rate, also influences how much food an organism will require.
A striking feature of metabolism is the similarity of the basic metabolic pathways between even vastly different species. For example, the set of carboxylic acids that are best known as the intermediates in the citric acid cycle are present in all organisms, being found in species as diverse as the unicellular bacteria Escherichia coli and huge multicellular organisms like elephants.[2] These striking similarities in metabolism are most likely the result of the high efficiency of these pathways, and of their early appearance in evolutionary history.[3][4]

er, i'm pretty sure it's a real biological process.
Sorry, yeah - you're right obviously. But its specific biological meaning doesn't have much to do with its popular-culture meaning (kinda like the word "fruit")

Actually, have a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

It says your basal metabolic rate (which seems to correspond to the popular culture meaning of "metabolism") roughly corresponds to your fat-free weight (i.e. how much you'd weigh if you'd no fat). I guess your muscles require a certain amount of energy to keep them alive, so if you've more muscle you use more energy

Hmmm. So I guess I was wrong. If you and me are the same weight but I've more muscle and you've more fat, then I can eat more without getting fatter, because more food is required just to keep my body going. Makes sense I suppose

Sorry, yeah - you're right obviously. But its specific biological meaning doesn't have much to do with its popular-culture meaning (kinda like the word "fruit")

Actually, have a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

It says your basal metabolic rate (which seems to correspond to the popular culture meaning of "metabolism") roughly corresponds to your fat-free weight (i.e. how much you'd weigh if you'd no fat). I guess your muscles require a certain amount of energy to keep them alive, so if you've more muscle you use more energy

Hmmm. So I guess I was wrong. If you and me are the same weight but I've more muscle and you've more fat, then I can eat more without getting fatter, because more food is required just to keep my body going. Makes sense I suppose
yeah, dunno where skinny dweebs with bugger all muscle fit in there though...maybe those guys do have worms

age has a lot to do with it

i was a skinny dweeb until I hit 30 or so

then gradually it was like "hey what's that jiggling every time i go up the stairs? , have these trousers shrunk?" etc etc

yep

on the plus side people start treating you like a fully grown adult, asking your opinions on cars and sports and stuff

wait..isn't this a ricky gervais sketch..

My Da has just lost a full stone in two weeks.His secret-calorie counting.He's cut himself down to 1500 a day and no extra exercise.

Flashback,you were right.

that's it then, I'm canceling the order for the AB-King Pro

seriously though, that's very impressive

Well,you see,his blood sugar/fatness combo have him in a state of pre-diabetes so drastic action was required.
Under the guidance of my bro who's an ex body building fanatic he's radically altered his diet.Out go the fries and bicckys white bread etc.and in came sensible eating.Its amazing.He's got rocking will power though..
Also,me auld lad drinks about 12 pints of guinness 3 nights a week which he has no intention of changing,but its looking like he won't have to.

Its all about the calories as far as I can tell.Well I'm convinced any how.

I've instigated the same measures this week myself incidentally and it seems to be coming good for me.
I had a great start at the Punx Picnic mind you...did'nt eat for 3 days.....

2869938562_58849de676_o.jpg

Also,me auld lad drinks about 12 pints of guinness 3 nights a week which he has no intention of changing,but its looking like he won't have to.

I read somewhere that Guinness is the lowest calorie pint. Has Froog given an update yet? I can't be going back over 26 pages.

I just weighed myself and I'm 9 pounds lighter than three weeks ago. Was starting to get love handles and moobs so had to call in the calorie cops. Haven't done any more exercise, just having grapefruit for breakfast (or skipping breakfast and having mostly fruit for lunch), then eating a normal dinner and not eating after 8pm. Still drinking a good few beers per week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back