best foodie experience you ever had (1 Viewer)

Bought a pineapple in the vegetable shop on Wexford St the other day. God. It's only gorgeous. I don't think I've ever tasted a pineapple that sweet and juicy. It doesn't taste like it's travelled 7 million miles. It tastes like what I imagine food in heaven tastes like.

I had guinea fowl in barberstown castle before (special occassion) - it was nearly the size of a chicken. The tastiest thing i have ever had killed on my behalf.

A Thai restaurant in the Piccadilly, London. I was feeling a little adventurous and ordered the 'rocky mountain oysters' as I'm not a big fan of seafood but figured it was worth a go. I was about half way through my meal and loving it when one of the guys I was with goes "How do they grow oysters up in the mountains?". The waiter laughed at me when I asked him and I went pale when he gave me his answer - Bulls Testicles in Batter.

piratio said:
A Thai restaurant in the Piccadilly, London. I was feeling a little adventurous and ordered the 'rocky mountain oysters' as I'm not a big fan of seafood but figured it was worth a go. I was about half way through my meal and loving it when one of the guys I was with goes "How do they grow oysters up in the mountains?". The waiter laughed at me when I asked him and I went pale when he gave me his answer - Bulls Testicles in Batter.

That was your best foodie experience?:eek:
fuckin hell.
each to their own I suppose:p

mazzyianne said:
That was your best foodie experience?:eek:
fuckin hell. each to their own I suppose:p

It was tasty! Just couldn't finish it after that...

images

X

Kalderimi in Rhodes - went on a scuba lesson and asked the instructors where they recommended. Told me to go here and get the steak. Fuck me. So awesome.

And the tons of free Ouzo helped, too.

piratio said:
You say that like it's the first time you had balls in your mouth.

hag said:
http://www.cbrava.com/restcap.uk.htm

this restaurant is the most amazing restaurant in the world i think. well in my experience so far... they do this speciality seafood paella - there's no point in describing what it tastes like because i'll fail miserably. it makes me sad i can't communicate with it - i would tell it it's one of the most amazing things in the world.

the cap de creus place is very special as well. it's the eastern-most point of the iberian peninsula so the view are incredible. oh to have a job there washing dishes... really, it's the dream.

Hey wow have you been there? I was there twice and the guy who runs it is a friend of my sister. Last time I was there I was with the missus and we ordered sea bass with potatoes and it came in this big tin and it was one of the best meals I've ever had.

Potatoes are under-rated in this country.

And come to think of it, a meal I had a couple of weeks ago was mesmerising, in this place called Bagno Vignoni in Italy. Anyway this starter - it was called Sacculata, and it was these large pasta sacs filled with creamed potato that was minty (??!?? - I know, that's what I thought too! But it was like the herb mint, not like toothpaste or whatever. Anyway it sounds vile but it was actually very subtle and creamy and like nothing I've ever had. I nearly wanted to frame it or something, but I couldn't so I savaged it instead.

next time you boil new potatoes throw a few mint leaves in with them - NORJUS.

snakybus said:
And come to think of it, a meal I had a couple of weeks ago was mesmerising, in this place called Bagno Vignoni in Italy. Anyway this starter - it was called Sacculata, and it was these large pasta sacs filled with creamed potato that was minty (??!?? - I know, that's what I thought too! But it was like the herb mint, not like toothpaste or whatever. Anyway it sounds vile but it was actually very subtle and creamy and like nothing I've ever had. I nearly wanted to frame it or something, but I couldn't so I savaged it instead.

Made our first new potatos of the year last week.

Ah god.

They're only gorgeous.

Put a bit of buter, maldon sea salt pepper and parsley in the pot after draining and mixed it all up. Oily crunchy soft melty goodness.

As someone said somewhere else, spuds are underappreciated in this country.

I don't think they're underappreciated, I think they're under accessorised.

Wormo said:
Made our first new potatos of the year last week.

Ah god.

They're only gorgeous.

Put a bit of buter, maldon sea salt pepper and parsley in the pot after draining and mixed it all up. Oily crunchy soft melty goodness.

As someone said somewhere else, spuds are underappreciated in this country.

Tied between:

* Sticky toffee pudding at the Blue Haven Hotel in Kinsale.
* An Indian place called Swagat on Vasilevsky Island in St Petersburg: amazing food and the most perfect service in the universe.
* Gnocchi al pesto in Da Giovanni on Mulberry St (the corner of Hester and Broom) in NY.
* Pasta with zucchini and garlic and basil at a place called La Lanterna in Sorrento.
* Deep-fried zucchini flowers stuffed with mozzarella at a place (I wish I could remember the name) next to the market square in Testaccio in Rome.
* Sea bass at a gastro-pub type of place in Roundwood in Wicklow, called something like the Coach House
* The Bento boxes at Little Tokyo in Leeds

Wow, I love food.

Also, is it okay if I stick my own Thai green curry somewhere near that list? I really love making it, and I don't always get it right, and it's different every time -- but when I hit the nail on the head, it's pretty awesome, if I may say so myself.

i was reviewing a french restaurant last night and had a real moment when the goat cheese salad arrived.

imagine, if you will, a luscious bed of greens ornamented by a few tomato slivers and drenched in a succulent dressing, topped with a divinely rich cloud of warm goats cheese.

just imagine that and get back to me.

i also had mussels for the first time, baked in a hot garlic butter sauce.

Mon Dieu!

imagine, if you will, a luscious bed of greens ornamented by a few tomato slivers and drenched in a succulent dressing, topped with a divinely rich cloud of warm goats cheese.

I imagined a voice saying that, and thought of a burger king commercial. Was it better than burger king salads? Do burger king do salads? Was it really a burger king commercial i was thinking of?

I imagined a voice saying that, and thought of a burger king commercial. Was it better than burger king salads? Do burger king do salads? Was it really a burger king commercial i was thinking of?

I don't think Martial Hebert - the proprietor, nor his fellow Bretons would appreciate that.

heh.

no, it wasn't burger king. it was divine.

the little Heinz half tins of curried beans are deadly, as are their bbq one's (both of which you can only get in Tesco). sainsbury's in newry do full size tins of Heinz tikka, jalfrezi, mexican(?) and something else baked beans. amazing.

bachelors curried beans are dead nice too.

Myself and the better half were in Malmo a couple of weeks ago. We stopped at Gustav Adolf's Cafe on the square with the same name for dinner and drinks. We started with garlic bread made from ciabatta loaded with butter and garlic and served with feta on the side, best garlic bread I've ever had. Himself had chicken carbonara for mains and it was THE most succulent, tasty chicken either of us have ever had. I had the Oresund plaice which had been cooked to perfection and made me happy we'd chosen that particular cafe to sup in. Also, I couldn't get enough of swedish salt lakrits ice cream (salty licorice ice cream) it was lovely. Highly recommend it.

Romanos, on Capel Street, do amazing Carbonaras as well, and their pizzas are divine. Their melon wrapped in parma ham as a starter is heavenly. Their sticky toffee puds are THE best sticky toffee puds I have ever tasted. Their prices are very reasonable.

I was in Spain a couple of years ago on the Orange Blossom Coast and in a small family-run restaurant (the name escapes me) I had the best damn paella I've ever had. It was creamy and full of wonderful tastes and aromas and to be honest, it nearly made me cry. In another restaurant in the same area, I had a wonderful something or other made with fresh juicy prawn, creamy avocado and goats cheese. Divine.

Also, in Dusseldorf, Leonardo's in the Sevens shopping centre have an amazing assortment of sundaes and ice creams. Gorgeous!!!

If you're ever in Vancouver, go to the Big Lai...they do an amazing chinese dim sum. Always fresh and tasty and very very inexpensive. Their egg tarts are sooooo yum.

Argh, now I'm hungry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back