Best Films of the Decade (2 Viewers)

I'm gonna get the verbal shit kicked out of me, but the Squid and the Whale is nearly as bad as Juno.

Fair enough. But you did like Synecdoche New York so there's no point in you and I discussing this. Any way what I said about it is that it's better than all the Wes Andersson films. Andersson is the most overrated film maker of the decade. Now don't get me wrong I quite like his films but it's the people who LOVE them that really gall me. You'd swear he re-invented the camera the way they go on, for me the squid and the whale has more of an emotional core than any of Andersons. I guess i just hate when film makers sidestep genuine emotional truth in favour of quirkiness. Squid worked for me because it gives up on quirkey with a quater of the film to go. Juno fails because by the time it tries to "get serious" there's little for it to say.

But that's just me. I hated the Goonies so my opinion on films always gets me in trouble.

Definitely with you on the quirkiness vs emotional truth deal. Not a massive fan of Anderson either but enjoyed Rushmore, life aquatic and the regal Fenoffenboffs as a friend calls it. Thought Darjeeling was utter muck and can't remember if I've seen bottle rocket. I think I always mix it up with lawn dogs. It's lonely being a synecdoche fan. Did you see the goonies when you were young or old?

The Darjeeling Ltd is awful muck alright.
I do like all his previous films though, especially The Life Aquatic and Rushmore. Though, in every one of them, there is a spell where I get bored. Usually about 3/4 the way through.

The Squid and the Whale might be my favourite non-serious film (and by non-serious film I mean the kind of semi-comedy that has achieved great prominence in the past 10 years) of the decade. I think it's absolutely perfect and I'm ashamed to say that I quote the Jeff Daniels character all the time. Very dense.

hey you guys

sloth_loves_chunk.jpg

Can't believe I forgot The Diving Bell and the Butterfly! Absolutely among my top 10 films of the last few years. I think. Maybe.

I do like all his previous films though, especially The Life Aquatic and Rushmore. Though, in every one of them, there is a spell where I get bored. Usually about 3/4 the way through.

The Squid and the Whale might be my favourite non-serious film (and by non-serious film I mean the kind of semi-comedy that has achieved great prominence in the past 10 years) of the decade. I think it's absolutely perfect and I'm ashamed to say that I quote the Jeff Daniels character all the time. Very dense.
To be fair I suppose a lot of my hatred for the film may stem from how much Laura Linney and Jesse Eisenberg annoy me. The little kid was really good in it though.

That's usually the point where you can feel the shifting of gears from "quirkey" to semi serious in almost every one there's a funeral and after this point he crams nearly all the charachter development into the final quarter. I like all his films I just hate his fans.

i really like atonement. like... an awful, awful lot. mostly for keira knightley's green dress. which.... </obvious girl>

Atonement was fine, it was just liked by the British and Irish newspapers which is a little too close to home for thumped members so they automatically put on their critical glasses. Says I.

As well as the aforementioned Millions I'd also like to add the following BBC films to this thread as deadly:

Starter for Ten
Shooting Dogs

I guess Billy Elliot as well

Atonement was fine, it was just liked by the British and Irish newspapers which is a little too close to home for thumped members so they automatically put on their critical glasses. Says I.

by which I mean nothing ruins a good film like knowing Amanda Brunker likes it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back