bating kids (1 Viewer)

ha ha we used to stand in my mates front front garden with a hurl and tennis ball and bounce it off the 15 bus everytime time it went by then the mam caught me and it was culinary assault time

Only allowed if your looking for mythical sea monsters otherwise strictly illegal.
suits_002.jpg

Bag'o'cans said:
What about baiting kids?

aoboa said:
I remember running away from my very angry mother after breaking a window. She couldn't catch me so she threw her wooden clog-like shoe at me. Caught me in the ankle and the top of my foot was numb for a month - seriously couldn't feel anything.

I love when people I know tell stories about themselves as little kids. I just imagine short versions of them with higher pitched voices and flailing arms being really naughty and it makes me giggle

I dunno about this slapping kids lark, man. One of my best friends works with troubled kids for a living. Really unruly kids younger than primary school age for the most part and I'd say she's generally responsible for 5 at a time. Obviously slapping a kid if they act out is totally out of the question for her even though she is in a disciplinarian role. She's able to handle these kids and discipline them without clattering them or threatening to. Granted, she's flippin trained at it but if she and others like her are able to reason with children to get them to behave, I think a parent should be able to.

My parents used to slap me when I was bold and for all I know, it taught me that the best way to resolve a problem is to smack whoever's creating it. My brothers and I used to scrap like mental.

Zeelander said:
I dunno about this slapping kids lark, man. One of my best friends works with troubled kids for a living. Really unruly kids younger than primary school age for the most part and I'd say she's generally responsible for 5 at a time. Obviously slapping a kid if they act out is totally out of the question for her even though she is in a disciplinarian role. She's able to handle these kids and discipline them without clattering them or threatening to. Granted, she's flippin trained at it but if she and others like her are able to reason with children to get them to behave, I think a parent should be able to.

My parents used to slap me when I was bold and for all I know, it taught me that the best way to resolve a problem is to smack whoever's creating it. My brothers and I used to scrap like mental.

Yeah, I dunno. I did some work with a programme for primary school kids at risk last summer, and the woman who ran it was amazing. These kids weren't severely disturbed or anything, but they could have been unruly. Thing was, not only were they not unruly, they were lovely. They were jokey and kinda hard to control sometimes, but there wasn't a speck of malice in what they did. They also responded to her really well: she was firm, but really good fun, and they totally loved her for it. I also think she thought quite highly of them as people, and they got that off her, so they knew it was cool to be themselves, and she'd let them know when they did something uncool.

For part of the workshop, they had to do a group project and make some sort of presentation/do a performance, etc. One particularly shy kid got up to do his thing, and he got really nervous and forgot his lines. As he stood there, shuffling and looking nervously at his feet, I was bracing myself for someone to make a wisecrack, but instead, a few of them just started saying, "Hey, it's okay! You can do it! It's just us, remember!"

Eleven year olds! Kids have amazing smarts and an incredible amount of human empathy, but they sometimes lack the vocabulary to communicate it. When we acknowledge in some way that they have it, they're more likely to show their good stuff....No need to smack 'em. I can, of course, say this having no kids of my own, and be all on my high horse about controlling frustrations, but still.

spiritualtramp said:
Fair enough, but it was the odd slap. Herv witnessed a teacher in New Ross beating a kid around the head with a hurley - that is not in any way acceptable.

:eek: nasty. wonder did that fucker teach me?
there were one or two slap-happy teachers in secondary school despite corporal punishment being banned at that stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back