bating kids (2 Viewers)

nlgbbbblth said:
hard to say
myself and my sister got the odd slap as kids and it hasn't harmed us.

Likewise in school.

Fair enough, but it was the odd slap. Herv witnessed a teacher in New Ross beating a kid around the head with a hurley - that is not in any way acceptable. If hitting kids is allowed in schools stuff like that happens.

I knew a girl whose ma would beat the fuck out of her kids all the time.She broke her sons arm plenty of times. He always "fell down the stairs". Fucked up family.

It was wierd, they would act up even though they knew they would get a battering, as though it was the only form of attention they got.

I think society saying it is ok to hit your kids can allow utter psychopaths to get away with beating their kids daily.

i don't think smacking your kids on the rare occasion to frighten them into behaving is going to leave any huge emotional scars, necessarily, but it still doesn't make it right and there are still lots of other ways of explaining to a child why they shouldn't being doing whatever it is they're doing. good parents tend to hit when they're at the end of their tether and i can understand this kind of behaviour, but if you can muster up all you energy to control yourself, then deal with the problem the right way, you'll end up teaching a much better lesson to your kids. it's how i was raised, it's how i deal with the kids in my care and it's just ma 'pinion i suppose.

But kids under a certain age are pretty damn single minded in purpose and most parents will tell you that occassionally there is just no way of verbally reasoning with them.

SadieOutlaw said:
i don't think smacking your kids on the rare occasion to frighten them into behaving is going to leave any huge emotional scars, necessarily, but it still doesn't make it right and there are still lots of other ways of explaining to a child why they shouldn't being doing whatever it is they're doing. good parents tend to hit when they're at the end of their tether and i can understand this kind of behaviour, but if you can muster up all you energy to control yourself, then deal with the problem the right way, you'll end up teaching a much better lesson to your kids. it's how i was raised, it's how i deal with the kids in my care and it's just ma 'pinion i suppose.

Spot on.

I am constantly seeing mothers on the bus kids slapping their offspring for crying.

A toddler screaming his head off is bloody annoying but for fucks sake slapping the kid isn't going to stop the screaming long term. It is just lazy parenting.

Before he could speak, my aunt managed to get her kid to communicate with sign language. If he wanted a bottle he would make a fist, stuff like that. He never roared his head off crying.

aoboa said:
But kids under a certain age are pretty damn single minded in purpose and most parents will tell you that occassionally there is just no way of verbally reasoning with them.

kids are way smarter than a lot of parents give them credit for. they go through a phase of testing their parents and boundries and there are so many ways to guide them through it. if you find hitting is the only thing that works then you've let them win. it might stop them from being bold in that instant but it's not going to change how they feel about what ever it was they were doing. they'll just figure out a way not to get caught the next time.

spiritualtramp said:
Before he could speak, my aunt managed to get her kid to communicate with sign language. If he wanted a bottle he would make a fist, stuff like that. He never roared his head off crying.

I've about heard about this. Sounds excellent. I'll have to get wee Katie trained up in it.

The fist jester for wanting a bottle could work well in later life too.

SadieOutlaw said:
kids are way smarter than a lot of parents give them credit for. they go through a phase of testing their parents and boundries and there are so many ways to guide them through it. if you find hitting is the only thing that works then you've let them win. it might stop them from being bold in that instant but it's not going to change how they feel about what ever it was they were doing. they'll just figure out a way not to get caught the next time.

Of course they do. I reckon with most kids the parents being clever and having a consistant way of dealing with and teaching kids will work.
I've still seen perfectly well behaved kids thowing an endless series of tantrums that no amount of verbal reasoning can stop.
Like I said before I'm not in favour of slapping kids when they're bold but I can totally understand it being used as a last resort.

billygannon said:
I've about heard about this. Sounds excellent. I'll have to get wee Katie trained up in it.

The fist jester for wanting a bottle could work well in later life too.

Robert DeNiro is down with it in Meet The Fockers :)

BTW It's a bit disturbing seeing Rep given under the title 'Bating Kids' ;)
thanks anyway

Kids can be pretty damn bold though.

A friend of mine was left alone in the sitting room with open paint tins when he was 5. He decided to paint the telly and did so. Not content with that, he took each of his da's 200 records out of its sleeve, painted the record and then put it back in the sleeve. He recalls sitting in the bath whilst his dad very painfully scrubbed all the paint off him whilst threatening to throw him out the window if he cried.

spiritualtramp said:
Kids can be pretty damn bold though.

A friend of mine was left alone in the sitting room with open paint tins when he was 5. He decided to paint the telly and did so. Not content with that, he took each of his da's 200 records out of its sleeve, painted the record and then put it back in the sleeve. He recalls sitting in the bath whilst his dad very painfully scrubbed all the paint off him whilst threatening to throw him out the window if he cried.

yeah see, i don't think that's bold. who leaves their 5 year old alone for any length of time with open paint cans? gnome sane?

SadieOutlaw said:
yeah see, i don't think that's bold. who leaves their 5 year old alone for any length of time with open paint cans? gnome sane?

Yeah, that was my view on it. It would take ages to paint all those records. I think it is a funny story though. His da never got over the loss of his vinyl.

Ha ha ha the wooden spoon, so yiz all lived in fear of woody too.

Maybe a firm threat of a beating but administer a mild push etc that demonstrates your power with restraint.

My mother caught myself and my brother throwing sugar beet at a tractor once (!ninjaaaa ) and she broke a tennis racket (wooden) off us during the beating. We deserved it though.

zub said:
My mother caught myself and my brother throwing sugar beet at a tractor once (!ninjaaaa ) and she broke a tennis racket (wooden) off us during the beating. We deserved it though.

are you serious? your mother should be in prison. if she'd done that to a stranger she would be.

SadieOutlaw said:
are you serious? your mother should be in prison. if she'd done that to a stranger she would be.

I remember running away from my very angry mother after breaking a window. She couldn't catch me so she threw her wooden clog-like shoe at me. Caught me in the ankle and the top of my foot was numb for a month - seriously couldn't feel anything.

SadieOutlaw said:
She's alright is my mum. We just pushed her over the edge is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back