bating kids (3 Viewers)

Thats the first time I have seen the word autonomous used in a sentence not relating to the arts council.
aoifed said:
Chissleurs are autonomous lil dudes. Not yours to bate. Respect.

hitting your kids for any reason is just plain wrong, it's not ok to hit any body, why are your kids any different? it's the laziest way to parent a child and i'm not just some lady who's taking the moral high ground but has never dealt with kids; i've worked with very difficult children for years and i know how hard it is to be consistent and firm and how difficult it can be to set rules and stick to them. most of the time it would be a lot easier to let them act bratty while it suits you but then you're in trouble when you need them to behave and a lot of parents resort to hitting because they've no time or patience to sort out the mess they've made. it makes me really sad when i see a child being hit.

If you would like more information on my bold new treatments, please send away for this free brochure entitled "You Can Either Calm Down or I Can Pop You in the Mouth Again."

Don't know how I feel about this really - I'm probably against it.
I do know that you can't really class a slap on the arse as violence. Most opinions here seem to equate it with an attack, which it is not the intent and rarely the manner in which it is administered
I've yet to meet anyone who was traumatised by being slapped as a kid.
Has anyone else?
There is a real problem with kids now having absolutely no fear of authority - where did that come from all of a sudden?
Do you reckon there's any connection with this liberal outlook on child rearing?

Other people's kids always seem like brats. People always think the next generation is out of control. Most the time they're just being kids. But there's nothing wrong with a slap in the arse as long as it's done in an assertive way without anger. I think it actually does kids good. If you say slapping kids is wrong, you're effectively tagging it as abuse, which would mean that most of us have been abused, which we haven't. I think it goes a long way towards asserting a sense of physicality for kids. The fact is, especially for boys, you're going to come across physical aggression in your life. I was never afraid of being hit in school, never afraid of a fight, despite the fact that I was a small, pseudo-intellectual nerd, and I think that's because of my father would spank me if I was really bold when I was small. It's like the physical world becomes undaunting. There's no ambiguity in a spanking, it gets the mesage across. I never regarded it as violence. Kids know the difference. A belt on the head or a punch in anger etc, that's different - I do know people who experienced actual violence as children, actual angry aggression, and they do have real problems. It's terrible, no doubt, but I think emotional abuse and neglect can be just as damaging without so much as a clip round the ear.

Another thing: I notice a lot of Irish guys my age were given a slap by their mother when kids. It's like the fathers didn't want to take part, like it would be construed as abuse. Maybe the Dads were too busy. Or maybe it's just the guys I hang out with. I dunno.

Slapping kids is being banned in Britland, isn't it?

Not at all. I was smacked occasionally as a child and I bloody well deserved it, I was a cheeky, knowitall little madam. (not much has changed)
The reason I remember it is precisely because it didn't happen too often, and only when I was particularly bold so it made an impact. Which I guess was the point.

Also, I have a very healthy respect for my parents, and they in turn gave us a lot of rope to do what we wanted as kids and teenagers, so being smacked meant you'd really, really stepped out of line.

aoboa said:
I've yet to meet anyone who was traumatised by being slapped as a kid.
Has anyone else?
There is a real problem with kids now having absolutely no fear of authority - where did that come from all of a sudden?
Do you reckon there's any connection with this liberal outlook on child rearing?

snakybus said:
Slapping kids is being banned in Britland, isn't it?

That's pretty terrifying if true. The thought that a parent could be jailed for slapping their kid is totally out of order.

i remember getting a right belt across the legs for screaming "i can't see i can't see" over and over and then walking down the stairs with a towel over my head

i figured they'd have seen the funny side of it

(true story)

ahahah, this has made me laugh and laugh. Though if you were my child I'd have walloped you at least once a day to get manners into you.

Ho ho!

MONDOBRUTALE said:
i remember getting a right belt across the legs for screaming "i can't see i can't see" over and over and then walking down the stairs with a towel over my head

i figured they'd have seen the funny side of it

(true story)

there's moves across the board in Britain with regard to the responsibilities parents have for their kids - like if your kid doesn't go to school you are responsible and can end up in jail. Which on the one hand is a good idea but on the other, it sort of takes the responsibility off the child - if your child is actually that much of a little bollix that no convincing will make him / her go to school then I guess they'd be quite happy to let you carry the can.

aoboa said:
That's pretty terrifying if true. The thought that a parent could be jailed for slapping their kid is totally out of order.

It's very easy to sit there and say I'll never lay a finger on my imaginary kids. One thing that having kids does is make you take a closer look at your own upbringing. Our family's was much like Kirstie's, very leanient but strick when it had to be. I'm actually suprised at the stuff we were let away with. So I don't believe a (very) rare smack can't do any harm. Sometimes it's the only tool you have left, and that is NOT being a lazy parent.

aoboa said:

I believe giving your kid an odd smack is still legal. Bating them until marks are visible is outlawed. Seems fair to me.

are socks in oranges ok?
spiritualtramp said:
I believe giving your kid an odd smack is still legal. Bating them until marks are visible is outlawed. Seems fair to me.

Yeah, I was only ever slapped as a last resort.
The usual punishment was being put into a room on my own until I copped on.
I don't remember anything about being slapped except that my folks would be really upset themselves when they did it.

tell you what is bad parenting (cos i know sooooooo much about it)
- letting really young kids play playstation
in my day, (i only had some poxy 286 but..) my cousins amstrad was so shit that you got a pain in your hole playing 'Harrier Attack' and 'Oh Mummy!' that you wanted to have an auld game of 3 and in.
have you seen the graphics on the computers today?! de graphics!!!
sure it's like watchin a movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back