bating kids (1 Viewer)

i forget if this thread is only about parents doing the bashing... anyway, i got no slaps of the faaather and only a few across off the face from the mother and while they didnt do me any real harm apart from upset me for a few hours they didnt do me any good either.

in primary school all the teachers used to wallop the pupils regularly (after it became illegal im pretty sure) and in retrospect i can see that it was done mostly out of nastiness and for the power trip of it and my main memory of primary school is of fear. the most popular teacher in the school - the one everybody hoped they'd get in fourth class- used even encourage us to bring in sticks ourselves which he could then used to beat us with. He's now a blueshirt TD. he was alright i suppose. In fifth class we had a complete nutter who once threw a pupil out the window. he was always hitting and threatening in a highly unpredictable way. one day he broke the think end of a snooker cue over this lads head (the thin end was already broken off) :eek:. in 6th class we had this christian brother who was also a total bully and had a selection of leather straps for dishing out slaps and they were really sore. the lad who got the snooker cue broken on his head was always getting the leather. there was actually a targetted campaign of bullying against him. the brother with the strap used to have this running joke about the record number of slaps this kid would get a day. somedays he might have got 6 or 8 on each hand as hard as the cunt could manage it, all his force behind each one. I also remember the brother grabbing him by the collar and shoving him (the 11/12 year old) across the desk and threatening him. One day the principal, who was also a brother, came in and said to this kid that he was out to get him. All the teachers hated him because he was smart and witty and showed them up to themselves for the bullys they were. he was a bit of a bully himself but he was a child and needed teaching and guidance and he would have been fine except for the fact that he was treated like a piece of shit and told he was a worthless bad egg for years on end and so he acted accordingly. by the time he was a teenager it was too late and he left secondary school in first year and went off the rails altogether and its entirely the fault of those cunting teachers who made shit of him. (ok - maybe the parents should have done more too... i dunno)

I got a slap now and again as a kid and it didn't do me any harm.

I do remember my mates mum called him "a little cunt" once right in front of me!

By the look on his face I could tell he would rather have been slapped silly than hear his mum say the 'c' word.

Yeah, I dunno. I did some work with a programme for primary school kids at risk last summer, and the woman who ran it was amazing. These kids weren't severely disturbed or anything, but they could have been unruly. Thing was, not only were they not unruly, they were lovely. They were jokey and kinda hard to control sometimes, but there wasn't a speck of malice in what they did. They also responded to her really well: she was firm, but really good fun, and they totally loved her for it. I also think she thought quite highly of them as people, and they got that off her, so they knew it was cool to be themselves, and she'd let them know when they did something uncool.

For part of the workshop, they had to do a group project and make some sort of presentation/do a performance, etc. One particularly shy kid got up to do his thing, and he got really nervous and forgot his lines. As he stood there, shuffling and looking nervously at his feet, I was bracing myself for someone to make a wisecrack, but instead, a few of them just started saying, "Hey, it's okay! You can do it! It's just us, remember!"

Eleven year olds! Kids have amazing smarts and an incredible amount of human empathy, but they sometimes lack the vocabulary to communicate it. When we acknowledge in some way that they have it, they're more likely to show their good stuff....No need to smack 'em. I can, of course, say this having no kids of my own, and be all on my high horse about controlling frustrations, but still.

Yeah but surely Parenting is a different bag of mice altogether. Anyone whose worked with kids even for a short time is able to tell that. For one thing, a kid can be ( and most likely is ) totally differnt outside the home. For another, anyone who would ever dream of treating a kid as a teacher or similiar has something wrong with them. Both my parents were teachers at one stage , and I've done a wee bit, and I've had hours of discussion with them about the difference between being in loco parentis , and being an actual parent. And the discrepancies are endless.

Being a parent to a child brings an unequalled about of responsibilty. We were smacked on the arse a couple of times when we were kids , but only when we were seriously out of line. Punching a brother full force in the face, for example. It should never be done with any intent to harm, obviously , and if there is a proper talk after the whole thing has calmed down about why it was done, and all that , then as a child you don't go away with the wrong idea.
My parents are two of the most gentle people you could meet , and I haven't hit anyone or felt violent towards anyone except Russel Crowe in around ten years. If someone is to be trusted with a son or daughter, and if the've any degree of decency, they should be able to figure out what is right and wrong to do individually. If they're good parents, the extremely seldom and judicious slap should only happen because the kid has been taught how to behave most of the time

because my parents didn't spank me i turned into a teenage tearaway and trouble maker

here's the proof

- studied accounting at college
- like cycle racing
- like women
- doesn't drink alcohol
- listens to belle & sebastian (ok it's the cd that's currently on)
- member of the thumped.com BBS

so please thumped members learn from my parents mistakes. if you want a normal child, spank your children

My parents never hit or slapped any of us in anger. They would warn us that if we did x we would be spanked - if we went ahead and did it they had to follow through. It obviously upset them and they didn't like doing it... but it was necessary for there to be consequences for us. I would never condone slapping a child in temper. I've seen parents lash out at their children in public and wanted to thump them. If we acted up we were warned that if we continued it would mean being spanked when we got home... if we kept it up then we were.

I have two brothers and one sister. By the time my youngest sister and brother came alone my parents had been led to believe that spanking was bad... so they got off lightly - they are not the better for it.

This threads a good excuse to show this diamond again.

I spell 'childcare'

F.I.S.T.
punch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back