Band histories (1 Viewer)

someone tell me what i think, quick. its almost 5:30

Four minutes ago I would have said the correct thing is to think Peter Greens Fleetwod Mac is better than The Lindsay Buckingham, Stevie Nicks era and damn you to hell if you disagree.

But I didn't realise there was a debate within a debate about the early/late Peter Green era

So to answer your question

I don't care anymore

ah the two Fleetwood Macs

I wrestled with this one in college quite a bit, I found it's best to think of them as two entirely different bands. Easily done really considering it's only the two beardy lads who hung around and even then they sounded completely different on both versions.

Same thing goes for Post/Pre Cale Velvet Underground

I liked this thread better when it was just chickenham posting band histories. Although Vascoj did a sterling job on a history too.

The rest of yas take it somewhere else!!

I liked this thread better when it was just chickenham posting band histories. Although Vascoj did a sterling job on a history too.

The rest of yas take it somewhere else!!

well he failed to come up with anything on fleetwood mac. this failure behooved the rest of us to fill the void

This was already in the works, it's for you Wheels!

Fleetwood Mac:

Fleetwood Mac was formed in 1967 by Peter Greenaway. They named themselves after the fact that they couldn’t afford raincoats and instead used to cover themselves in gloss paint and decking varnish in order to keep the rain off (it rained every day in 1967). The band got a good reputation for themselves on the blues circuit but they never broke through because of Greenaway’s insistence that everything be draped in velvet while the band had to play in the nip.

In 1967 Christine Scary Car (formerly of Chickenbucket) joined the band and not a lot happened. Mick Fleetwood married Peter Greenaway but was having an affair with Mick Fleetwood. Christine married John McVicar but was having an affair with John McVicar.

This love-tangled combo limped along for years until they upped sticks in 1984 and went to live in L.A. There they met Lindsay Buckingham Palace and Stevie Knickers. Lindsay, known as the ‘twitchy woman’ possessed an eerie nasal voice that could really curdle your dairy. Stevie and Lindsay were married but soon got into the Fleetwood Mac way of doing things by having affairs with Mick Fleetwood and Stevie Knockers.

The new pop-oriented Mac broke through in 1984 with the harrowingly autobiographical ‘Love-tangle in the night’. Hits like ‘Big stuff’ and ‘Little perkies’ and ‘Medium fries’ kept the moneybags jingling. Inevitably however every possible permutation of marriage and adultery within the band had been exhausted and they were finally spent as a creative force. They continue to tour intermittently and probably are not having knowledge of each other AT ALL so what’s the point really? Critics have dubbed the new songs ‘a bunch of post-therapy, touchy-feely crap’ but they are, or are they? Yes they are…….?…..!

this album

BuckinghamNicksCover.jpg

is so deadly i'm going to listen to it right now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckingham_Nicks

Fields of the Nephilim:

In 1967 Mrs McCoy gave birth to quintuplets alone on her dust farm in Leeds; the father's identity is unknown, possibly an angel or the giant son of an angel. The boys grew up in the total isolation of the small frontier holding, with only a copy of 'October' by U2 and a Sisters of Mercy record (doesn't matter which one) for entertainment.

When the boys showed a limited talent for music Mrs McCoy immediately invested in lessons followed by a trip to the studio which resulted in the 'Peach or man' EP. The dust from the dust farm seemed to be impossible to get rid of; it was all over their clothes, it covered their apparel and also their pants, boots, greatcoats and shades and it choked up poor Carl's throat leaving him with a strangled rasp of a voice. The McCoy boys were embarrassed at first by the dust and the choking but were delighted when their handicap became a selling point.

A number of successful 'stadium-goth' anthems followed before the band discovered the 'tuneless tune' in 1984 and left the mundane world of 'sanity'. They left a rich legacy of dusty majesty.

i had a listen to that new lindsey buckingham album. the first two songs are very strong, particularly Time Precious Time which is amazing and stuck in my head, the rest is average to dull.

The Talking Heads:

One day in the 50’s, 60’s or 70’s young David Byrne-Toast went to art college – things would never be the same again. He met Chris Cross and Tina Waystation in 1967 and formed a band called The Art Students. Then they met Jerry Harisson-Ford, fresh from a stint in The Modern Music Lovers.

With David’s arty ideas and Jerry’s Love of Modern Music as well as Tina and Chris being there, the band found a new direction and changed their name to Talking Heads; things would never be the same again.

After one well received album ‘Eleventy eleven’ the ‘Heads met ace producer Brain Eno in 1967. Things would never be the same again. Brain played a Feller Kutie record to David and things would never be the same again.

They released ‘Remain in a Nigerian jail (while we fleece yr stuff)’ in 1984 and everybody fell out but not before Brain and David released the pioneering ‘My life is a bunch of Toast’ in which they used samples of paint and carpet and new food products to keep themselves amused while they made their record. After that things were pretty much the same.

Metallica

Metallica were formed in 1967 when four ‘fresh’ faced teens picked up their guitars to emulate heroes like Iron Madman, Diamond Dave and someone else. James Hatstand, Cliff Burzum, Dave Mistake and Large Bullring wrote the blueprint of the Thatch Metal genre, so-called because of the badly kept hairstyles of its followers.

Dave Mistake was ousted because of his insistence on drinking in moderation in a teetotal band. Kirk Hatpin (formerly of Eggs ’R’ us) was hired in his place and his widdly-diddly million mile an hour pyrotechnics on guitar truly was the iceberg on the cake.

The first album ‘Kill a mall’ released in 1984 demonstrated their hostility to shopping centres and it was great and all but the second album 1984’s ‘Ride the light rail’ showed their support of tram systems and was much better. Their third album ‘Monster of puppies’ (1984) showed their talent for making sinister things ordinary. Cliff Burzum had had enough at this stage and fled the band in mid-tour, running off into the Scandinavian forest and was NEVER SEEN AGAIN.

Jason Newstart (formerly of Aeroflot and Easyjet) was brought in as replacement and his ‘invisible’ bass playing style defined the sound of the next album album ‘….Half a sentence’. Songs like ‘Harvester of combine’, ‘One love’ and something else became instant live favourites.

A fateful meeting with producer Bock Bock led to their most famous album ‘Something’ also known as ‘the something album’ which cemented their status as international megastars. The rest of the story is too boring and sad but do watch the ‘Some kind of Monster of Puppies’ DVD; I recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back